Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Emulation & ROM Hacking

Why i hate BGB - Page 1

Why i hate BGB

Posted by: Charmy
Date: 2016-09-06 13:48:56
The pictures would explain all, but i think more is needed.
It's only what i encountered, no hate please.
1.Only 1 quick state.
2.Crashes a lot.
3.Can't change controls.
4."Invalid pointer operation.".
5."Access violation at address XXXXXXXX in module 'bgb.exe' Read of access XXXXXXXX.".
6.I don't understand the debugger.
7.If i want to apply something, it throws a billion errors at me.
However it has some pro's
1.Hardware-like emulation quality (if you can get past all the crashes)
2.Very good speed emulation which you can change.
3.Good… for something.
4.Good for link battles and stuff (VBA causes a link error when i entered the trade center on Ruby and Emerald)
And that's why i use VBA.
Yes I'm Polish btw.

NOTE: I seem to have some issues with uploading files so i needed to add a archive. Sorry.

Re: Why i hate BGB

Posted by: ravioli
Date: 2016-09-06 14:43:17
use a real DMG or a gameboy light

it's what i do

Posted by: ISSOtm
Date: 2016-09-06 14:52:46
The debugger may not be super duper intuitive, believe me it's pure refined gold. Now, why would you need 10 quick saves ? Seriously, I needn't more than 3 at a time. So I switched between slots, deal with it.
I know the controls cannot be changed. That's annoying, but at least they are arranged in a correct way.

BGB is not for casuals, and that's why it's not really user-oriented. Its developer focuses more on making it the perfect emulator - from a technical point of view.
I dare you to reverse engineer a game with VBA.
They're just NOT the same, not designed the same objectives in mind.

The errors you describe  (access violations, pointer errors) I never encountered. Which OS do you use ?

Date: 2016-09-06 14:55:00
Ravioli :
1. Games you don't have as carts. And flash carts are super not cheap - I bought some.
2. Debugging, save file swapping, cheat codes… Meh !
3. Save states
4. Not having the console ? Play on your PC !

Posted by: naf102
Date: 2016-09-06 15:30:06
I mainly use an Android emulator called My OldBoy. Its emulation is pretty accurate and I have like 15 save state slots. However, I do not have access to a debugger which really sucks because obviously I cannot see what is going on in the game which makes coding 8F codes a challenge.

Date: 2016-09-06 16:14:33
You could, because talking 8F first through a debugger is quite a challenge. You first need to learn any programming language - Python is a nice one to start with - then learn z80 assembly (it's a huge piece of comprehension since it is a very peculiar language, only learning another language before cuts some of the work). Once you know about z80 assembly, you need to understand the specifics of the Gameboy, and then you could begin using BGB's debugger.
But it'd be a good idea to learn about the specifics of Pokémon games, too.

Posted by: ravioli
Date: 2016-09-06 16:29:52

Ravioli :
1. Games you don't have as carts. And flash carts are super not cheap - I bought some.
2. Debugging, save file swapping, cheat codes… Meh !
3. Save states
4. Not having the console ? Play on your PC !

>1. All of the games are super cheap on amazon for 20 bucks or less.
>2. Not what I like. I try out glitches and perform glitches you can do on hardware without external use.
>3. I'd rather go through the hard work.
>4. GB Pockets go for 20 dollars

Posted by: naf102
Date: 2016-09-06 18:19:51

You could, because talking 8F first through a debugger is quite a challenge. You first need to learn any programming language - Python is a nice one to start with - then learn z80 assembly (it's a huge piece of comprehension since it is a very peculiar language, only learning another language before cuts some of the work). Once you know about z80 assembly, you need to understand the specifics of the Gameboy, and then you could begin using BGB's debugger.
But it'd be a good idea to learn about the specifics of Pokémon games, too.
I know z80 programming at an intermediate level (at least I think so) it's just that I find trouble correlating the item and the item's quantity with the actual code I built in the assembler.

Posted by: Yeniaul
Date: 2016-09-06 20:12:27
…um… my last post is gone…
Anyway, BGB game control binds:
In the version I have (it's not in front of me now, sorry), go to Settings. In one or another tab (it's not in front of me now…) you'll see "Configure binds" or some such. UNCHECK "Configure extra binds" FIRST. Click "Configure binds". Have fun.
Also, holy SHIT I can load ROMS without reset in BGB debugger! (Not that that's useful unless you're fixing/creating a ROM…) Oh, and "*.ASM" generation. It's even got a usage meter… mmm…

Date: 2016-09-07 13:11:34

>1. All of the games are super cheap on amazon for 20 bucks or less.

That is around 60-80 PLN which is a pretty high price for me… also, i would need to pay for the transport and I'm saving up for Sun or Moon when they come out.
And on my local sites that are just like Amazon or eBay, gen 3 games are VERY hard to find, gen 1 and gen 2 games are ALMOST IMPOSSIBLE to find there. Gen 4 is kinda hard to find, and gen 5… i seen only German copies of White 2. Gen 6, i can just buy at shops.

>2. Not what I like. I try out glitches and perform glitches you can do on hardware without external use.

If you like that, then ok.

>3. I'd rather go through the hard work.

Me too (kinda), as i still have to randomize models, cry's and some other stuff to finish my randomized AS.

>4. GB Pockets go for 20 dollars

I have a GBA SP but not much games, the only REAL main series Pokémon games i have are:
Pokémon Alpha Sapphire (bought around late September last year)
Pokémon Y (bought around Christmas)
Pokémon Fire Red (temponary, my brother gave it to his friend for his birthday)

In the version I have (it's not in front of me now, sorry), go to Settings. In one or another tab (it's not in front of me now…) you'll see "Configure binds" or some such. UNCHECK "Configure extra binds" FIRST. Click "Configure binds". Have fun.
Also, holy s**t I can load ROMS without reset in BGB debugger! (Not that that's useful unless you're fixing/creating a ROM…) Oh, and "*.ASM" generation. It's even got a usage meter… mmm…

1. I used the newest version.
2. I tried that you know?

Posted by: Yeniaul
Date: 2016-09-07 18:08:55

I tried that you know?

It worked for me so what the fuck.

Posted by: SatoMew
Date: 2016-09-20 09:44:18
Charmy, to set the controls in BGB, you need to right-click the window and go to the options. In the Joypad tab, click the "configure keyboard" button. There, you have to press the desired key until the icon changes from red to green and repeat the process until all keybinds are set. Finally, you must click Apply in the settings dialog.

By default, BGB's controls are set to the A, S, Enter, Shift, and arrow keys.

If you have tried this already, then could you please elaborate on why it doesn't work? Is the bgb.ini file modified after you set the controls?

Date: 2016-09-20 10:22:22
I will test when I will be able to.

Posted by: TheSixthItem
Date: 2017-07-20 09:00:31

I mainly use an Android emulator called My OldBoy. Its emulation is pretty accurate and I have like 15 save state slots. However, I do not have access to a debugger which really sucks because obviously I cannot see what is going on in the game which makes coding 8F codes a challenge.

Same. I use an iOS emulator called GBA4IOS and it has pretty accurate emulation. It just ignores invalid opcodes/stops but there's no debugger

Date: 2017-07-20 10:02:12
How accurate is it ? Which test ROMs pass ?