Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Emulation & ROM Hacking

All-System Emulation Accuracy Tests - Page 1

All-System Emulation Accuracy Tests

Posted by: Parzival
Date: 2017-08-01 20:00:57
After the testing done on GBx emulators with 8F/ws m, I decided to do this when I got around to it. I'm bored, so I figured why the hell not?
This'll be for ALL systems, not just GBx, so it'll take a long time to do.
Help is appreciated.

Test ROMs to use:
GBx: Mental Respirator
GBA: Up Rough City
Genesis: Overdrive
NES: High Hopes
SNES: TBD
Master System: TBD
More systems to comeā€¦?

Most accurate emulators:
GBx: Surprisingly, KiGB won. It's as accurate as BGB, HOWEVER it emulates the color issues that the CGB's LCD had instead of showing the real colors, which bumps it just ahead of BGB. If you're emulating 2 GBCs with link capabilities, however, GEST is definitely the way to go.
GBA: BatGBA
Genesis: Exodus
NES: You're all garbage. NOT A SINGLE ONE would run the test ROM and survive past 5 frames.
SNES: TBD
Master System: TBD

All of these ROMs are homebrew tech demos where the dev groups compete to see who can make the coolest tech demos. These people do things no one knows about beforehand, so they're quite good indicators of accuracy. Think dick-measuring contests between hypergeeks.

Someone told me my NES tests were invalid since I didn't set PAL mode, and that KiGB isn't the most accurate since BGB also has the LCD color-difference, I just have to set it.
I'm going to say this now:
[size=12pt]THE ONLY SETTINGS I CHANGE ARE WINDOW SIZE AND RESIZABILITY WHEN NECESSARY. ALL EMULATION- AND COLOR-RELATED SETTINGS ARE UNCHANGED. ALL OF THESE EMULATORS WERE TESTED WITH FIRST-RUN CONDITIONS. I SHOULDN'T HAVE TO SET THE REGION OR COLOR SETTINGS, THESE THINGS SHOULD BE DETECTED OR SET AUTOMATICALLY.[/size]

Re: All-System Emulation Accuracy Tests

Date: 2017-08-01 20:26:19
GBx (Mental Respirator):
BGB 1.5.2: The chessboard section flickered a lot. This counts as a major graphics problem.
DreamGBC 2001 Beta5: There were a few ugly but minor graphics errors, and the Gin&Tonic trick failed. The audio has slight pitch errors. The chessboard section is fairly messed up.

GEST 1.1.1 supports 2 GBs emulating at once and linking between them, like TGB Dual, so this test will be run with both GBs synchronised.
GEST 1.1.1: The Gin&Tonic trick fails. Some colors are somewhat darker than they should be.

TGB Dual Build 2053 supports 2 GBs emulating at once and linking between them, like GEST, so this test will be run with both GBs synchronised.
TGB Dual Build 2053: Sound is all but destroyed. Fails the Gin&Tonic trick. Multiple minor video problems are present. The chessboard section flickers AND GB2 has a slightly harder time with it than GB1.

PlayGuy 1.03 Beta: One major graphics problem present. Some minor graphics problems present. The chessboard section flickers.
KiGB 2.04: Emulates how colors look on the LCD instead of how they should look internally. Bonus points.
VBA 1.8.0 Beta 3: Has minor graphics problems in spades. Some minor sound issues. Slowdown issues present. Chessboard flickers. Fails Gin&Tonic trick.
VBA-M 2.0.0: Some minor graphics problems. Color problems present. Chessboard flickers.
zBoy 0.12: ROM tries to load, but crashes. This is due to lack of CGB support.

GBA (Up Rough City):
VBA 1.8.0 Beta 3: Minor audio issues. Some stuttering. Runs slow, even though 100% speed is reported.
BatGBA 2.25b: Very minor audio problems.
BoycottAdvance 0.2.8: No audio.
RascalBoy Advance 1.3.0.0: Crash on attempt to start ROM.
NO$GBA 2.8d: Somewhat jittery. Some audio bugs.

Genesis (Overdrive):
Fusion 3.64: Several major problems during the twisted-board and "TITAN 512C FOREVER" sections. The test ROM reports "YOUR EMULATOR SUXX". Some minor problems during the parallax-chessboard credits. Occasional minor audio hiccups.
Gens 2.14: Several audio problems. A bit too sharp video-wise, so motion produces artifacts. During the parallax landscape section, some shadows harshly flicker.
At the "TITAN 512C FOREVER" section, the image is fairly chewed up. The test ROM reports "YOUR EMULATOR SUXX."
retroDrive 5: ROM is accepted, but no actual code is read from the file.
Regen 0.97: Extremely minor color issues. Some momentary graphics problems during the parallax-chessboard credits. At the "TITAN 512C FOREVER" section, the image is fairly chewed up. The ROM reports "YOUR EMULATOR SUXX".
DGen/SDL 1.32: Lots of audio problems. Huge audio sync problem. Lots of minor video bugs. Several tests don't even show on-screen. Tests that work are either crippled or randomly are skipped halfway through. Half of the "TITAN 512C FOREVER" scene doesn't even render. The ROM reports "YOUR EMULATOR SUXX".
AGES 0.30: Emulator doesn't detect that the cart is PAL, so it's running at 60 FPS instead of 50. Huge audio sync problem. Several major audio problems. Multiple minor video problems. Large video-only slowdown during starfield and sphere sections, causing the audio to be almost 30 seconds ahead. Several sections end one frame after they start, even if they're nowhere near done. Other sections wait after the first frame is rendered until the previous section is normally done. During the vertical scroller section, the ROM doesn't advance to the next test until well after it should, giving us a view of unrelated s**t as it scrolls past as a texture. The emulator's having a tough time dealing with bankswitching graphics. During the spinning-cube section, the game skips to the next section, nearly causing a crash. The ROM reports "YOUR EMULATOR SUXX".
Exodus 2.0.1: A few extremely minor graphics flaws are present. There is slowdown on several sections, but this is due to my processor, not the emulator. The ROM reports "YOUR EMULATOR SUXX".

NES (High Hopes):
FakeNES 0.5.9 Beta 2: ROM freaks out, then crashes.
FCEUX 2.2.2: ROM is accepted, but won't run.
HalfNES 0.61: ROM is accepted, but won't run.
JNES 1.1.1: ROM freaks out, then crashes.
MarioNES 1.5: ROM freaks out, then crashes.
nemulator 2.6: ROM is accepted, but won't run.
NESten 0.61 Beta 1: ROM is accepted, but won't run.
NesterJ 0.51 Beta: ROM is accepted, but won't run.
Nestopia 1.40: ROM is accepted, but won't run.
Nintendulator 0.975: ROM is accepted, but won't run.
olafnes 0.2.1.7: Gives a burst of sound output, then nothing.
RockNES 5.142: ROM is accepted, but won't run.
UberNES 2011: ROM is accepted, won't run.
VirtuaNES 0.97: ROM is accepted, won't run.

SNES:

Master System:

Posted by: Caveat
Date: 2017-08-14 08:23:25
Bizhawk is a pretty damm good NES emulator, does that work?

Date: 2017-08-14 09:46:10

Bizhawk is a pretty damm good NES emulator, does that work?
Bizhawk is basically RetroArch. It's not its own emulator, just a loader for multiple emulators.

Date: 2017-08-14 09:53:08
Added a disclaimer for those whining about me not fucking with the settings.