Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Emulation & ROM Hacking

Help to emulate the Egg Ticket Event in Pokemon Crystal (JP) - Page 1

Help to emulate the Egg Ticket Event in Pokemon Crystal (JP)

Posted by: Harvey27
Date: 2017-08-13 22:12:46
Hello everyone, I hope you are well. Well, I make this post because I need help about emulating the event of Egg Ticket on my departure (which will attach in this post) Pokemon Crystal (JP), so I have understood, you need to make a change in starting to get it, But I have not the slightest idea how to do it, so I came to ask for help from someone who can do me this favor, I would greatly appreciate it, I have been looking for this event for a long time. Sorry for the inconvenience and I thank you from the heart who can help me and read this post.

Re: Help to emulate the Egg Ticket Event in Pokemon Crystal (JP)

Posted by: Parzival
Date: 2017-08-13 23:02:08

Hello everyone, I hope you are well. Well, I make this post because I need help about emulating the event of Egg Ticket on my departure (which will attach in this post) Pokemon Crystal (JP), so I have understood, you need to make a change in starting to get it, But I have not the slightest idea how to do it, so I came to ask for help from someone who can do me this favor, I would greatly appreciate it, I have been looking for this event for a long time. Sorry for the inconvenience and I thank you from the heart who can help me and read this post.
IIRC you can set events in SRAM to take effect when you next boot up, but I don't know the offsets or values in the J version.
Ask Torchickens or ISSOtm.

Posted by: ISSOtm
Date: 2017-08-14 17:54:59
Normally, there is a flag in the save file that controls whether the event is active or not. I don't think the JP version of Crystal has been disassembled, so you'd need to figure which offset the flags are stored at.
For the next part, I'd assume flags are laid out in the same way in the JP and US versions, so the flag would be at the same distance (from the base offset figured earlier). Then you just set the bit, and modify the checksums to avoid a "yer file is darn corrupted, sonny !".

Another solution is to simply edit the flag in the game's WRAM while it's running (which should be as simple as a GameShark code).
Again, this should be figured out fairly simply, I think memory in the JP and US versions is laid out quite similarly.

Date: 2017-08-14 21:11:43

Normally, there is a flag in the save file that controls whether the event is active or not. I don't think the JP version of Crystal has been disassembled, so you'd need to figure which offset the flags are stored at.
For the next part, I'd assume flags are laid out in the same way in the JP and US versions, so the flag would be at the same distance (from the base offset figured earlier). Then you just set the bit, and modify the checksums to avoid a "yer file is darn corrupted, sonny !".

Another solution is to simply edit the flag in the game's WRAM while it's running (which should be as simple as a GameShark code).
Again, this should be figured out fairly simply, I think memory in the JP and US versions is laid out quite similarly.

The truth is that I already tried to modify the save file of Pokemon Crystal (JP) with respect to the post made in this place, first doing a backup of the save file, but it corrupted the game, later I went with several people who knew about this, Asking if they help me, because one of them does not like it so much, let this search pause, but the truth, I would like to have it, but I do not know how to do it, I have not found any gameshark code of the Egg Ticket and therefore the only thing I have as a reference Is the post, but I really have no idea how to do it, so I thought of doing this post to get a help, if you wish, you can keep the save file, but in truth, I do not want to damage the game again Since I have it quite advanced, apologize for how long this response is.

Date: 2017-08-14 22:48:34

The truth is that I already tried to modify the save file of Pokemon Crystal (JP) with respect to the post made in this place, first doing a backup of the save file, but it corrupted the game, later I went with several people who knew about this, Asking if they help me, because one of them does not like it so much, let this search pause, but the truth, I would like to have it, but I do not know how to do it, I have not found any gameshark code of the Egg Ticket and therefore the only thing I have as a reference Is the post, but I really have no idea how to do it, so I thought of doing this post to get a help, if you wish, you can keep the save file, but in truth, I do not want to damage the game again Since I have it quite advanced, apologize for how long this response is.
If it marked it as corrupted, you forgot to re-sum the save.
Set the bit with a GS code, then save and reset and let the game do it for you.

Date: 2017-08-15 05:29:52
@harvey :
The thing with the game's save file is that there's a system to check if they have been tampered with. Thus, when modifying your save file, you need to change a few other bytes to make it valid to the game's save file loader.
The other option relies on the fact that the "main" data (ie. all saved data but Pokémon boxes) is transferred to WRAM when loading your save, and back to SRAM when saving.
Thus, you can :
1. load your valid save file
2. edit the byte in WRAM (RAM, if you want) containing the bit controlling the event
3. save your game (optional, since the event will be active, but for the sake of safety it's a good idea)
4. you got it !
Because there's no protection against modifying WRAM (and for a good reason : the game always modifies WRAM because it's its "workspace" !), you can freely edit it and have the game's saving code perform the checksum calculation for you by clicking that "SAVE" option !

Date: 2017-08-15 23:21:27
I do not want to be rude, I want to tell you that I really do not know how to modify the save files or understand the indications they give me since I do not know the subject, I would like to learn, besides not understanding English perfectly since my native language is The Spanish, then I go slowly learning to defend myself better in this language; But for the moment I have no way to divide my time, so I know that what I will ask next is very brazen of me, so I ask if there is any possibility that someone who knows how to modify my game to get the Egg Ticket can To make the necessary modification to obtain it, even if I do not have to pay such a favor, I can wait, if they can not, at least I appreciate the help they gave me, as I gradually lose more of the courage and hope that I can get that rare pokemon that So anxious. Thank you for taking the time to help me and I admire your great work in everything done on this page, especially the Egg Ticket (With the Mobile Adapter GB System).

Posted by: Háčky
Date: 2017-08-16 00:39:25
Editing the save file wont help because the Egg Ticket event is not in the game. There is nothing in the Japanese ROM that defines which Pokémon you can receive from it or what their chance of being shiny is. The only way to redeem the Egg Ticket is to connect to an emulated Mobile System GB with an emulated Mobile Adapter GB in order to download a file which contains the Pokémons data. The proof-of-concept Python script I wrote last year links to BGB and emulates enough of the Mobile Adapter GB and Mobile System GB to allow the Egg Ticket to be redeemed. (It assumes that the Pokémon available using the Egg Ticket were the same ones, with the same probabilities, as in the English versions Odd Egg event; I dont know for sure that this assumption is correct.)

Date: 2017-08-16 13:21:48

(It assumes that the Pokémon available using the Egg Ticket were the same ones, with the same probabilities, as in the English versions Odd Egg event; I dont know for sure that this assumption is correct.)
From (ECCH) Bulbapedia:
In the Japanese version of Pokémon Crystal, there is a 50% chance the hatched Pokémon will be Shiny (IVs 2/10/10/10) and a 50% chance it will not (IVs 0/0/0/0).
In the international versions of Pokémon Crystal, there is a 14% chance the hatched Pokémon will be Shiny (IVs 2/10/10/10) and an 86% chance it will not (IVs 0/0/0/0), but the chance of any particular Pokémon species hatching from the Egg and the chance of any given species being Shiny are not uniform.

Posted by: Háčky
Date: 2017-08-16 16:13:33

(It assumes that the Pokémon available using the Egg Ticket were the same ones, with the same probabilities, as in the English versions Odd Egg event; I dont know for sure that this assumption is correct.)
From (ECCH) Bulbapedia:
In the Japanese version of Pokémon Crystal, there is a 50% chance the hatched Pokémon will be Shiny (IVs 2/10/10/10) and a 50% chance it will not (IVs 0/0/0/0).
In the international versions of Pokémon Crystal, there is a 14% chance the hatched Pokémon will be Shiny (IVs 2/10/10/10) and an 86% chance it will not (IVs 0/0/0/0), but the chance of any particular Pokémon species hatching from the Egg and the chance of any given species being Shiny are not uniform.

Bulbapedia originally said that the Odd Egg had a 50% chance of being shiny in all versions, then that it was 50% for the Japanese event but 12.5% in the English version, then reverted back to 50% for all versions until someone finally came up with the correct 14% figure from the localizations. I have no reason to believe that the 50% figure is anything more than someones guess thats been propagated as fact.

Date: 2017-08-16 16:28:33

From (ECCH) Bulbapedia:

Bulbapedia originally said that the Odd Egg had a 50% chance of being shiny in all versions, then that it was 50% for the Japanese event but 12.5% in the English version, then reverted back to 50% for all versions until someone finally came up with the correct 14% figure from the localizations. I have no reason to believe that the 50% figure is anything more than someones guess thats been propagated as fact.
Fuck it. At least we can say we tried.

Date: 2017-08-16 18:32:27
@Háčky So you run the Python script, launch BGB, connect and transfer ?
Nice.

Posted by: SnorlaxMonster
Date: 2017-09-21 06:51:41

From (ECCH) Bulbapedia:

To the best of my knowledge, the 50% figure was originally determined by Meowth346 of Pokémon Forever. Since he did have the exact properties of the Odd Egg in 2001, I don't think it was purely guesswork. (That page also appears to be the basis for the UPC page, unless it's the other way around.)

I have been in contact with Meowth lately, so I'll see if he can remember anything about how he came to that conclusion (but since it was 15 years ago, I imagine it's going to be difficult).