Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Emulation & ROM Hacking

3DS and 2DS homebrew via 8F in Virtual Console editions? - Page 1

3DS and 2DS homebrew via 8F in Virtual Console editions?

Posted by: The Awesomer
Date: 2018-02-15 08:00:08
I know this isn't exactly the right place to put this, but it's the best section I could find. If anyone knows the right category for this, please tell me or move it there.

Anyways, some of you who have watched TheZZAZZGlitch may recall them making a video on 8F arbitrary code execution in other games. Well, I just had a thought - is it possible to homebrew the 3ds/2ds by doing the same thing but on the virtual console editions? Just an idea, but it would be quite interesting to experiment with.

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SL_Zuc0tlvo

Re: 3DS and 2DS homebrew via 8F in Virtual Console editions?

Posted by: Stackout
Date: 2018-02-15 09:08:04
There are emulator bugs that allow for potential emulator escape ;)

Re: 3DS and 2DS homebrew via 8F in Virtual Console editions?

Posted by: Couldntthinkofaname
Date: 2018-02-15 09:10:00
What Wack0 said is true. But in regards to cartswap, no.

Cartswap works by cutting off contact with the ROM, letting the user load a new one, and booting into the new cartridge. However, this is all done within the system itself. Alone, you cannot use this to escape VC itself.