Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Emulation & ROM Hacking

Gen 1-2 Pokemon Cry Table - Page 1

Gen 1-2 Pokemon Cry Table

Posted by: SM
Date: 2018-10-03 11:16:59
I could find some tables of Gen 1 Pokemon's cry data that made with base cry / pitch / length.
But none of them have Gen 2 Pokemon's data so I just made complete table of Gen 1-2 Pokemon's cry.
I took values with FroggestSpirit's Pokemon Cry Previewer.
download : https://hax.iimarckus.org/topic/3113/

And this is the list

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/19ItyhDZzmSIszrsBR4CI0SwCIBFLWyMvTeiodTbbfzs/edit?usp=sharing

Unlike Gen 1, Gen 2 pitch/length have 4 byte. So they can make higher-pitched and longer cry.
*The value known as 'Echo' is just a higher digit of pitch.
Also '0x00' length in Gen 1 is same with '0x80' length in Gen 2 and Gen 2 have wider length value, so there can be much shorter cry than Gen 1.

Re: Gen 1-2 Pokemon Cry Table

Posted by: Sherkel
Date: 2018-10-04 06:50:13
Very nice contribution, and great work from FroggiestSpirit too on that ROM. :) Do you think you'll be able to add the Gen 2 cry data to the list you linked?

Date: 2018-10-04 07:50:09

Very nice contribution, and great work from FroggiestSpirit too on that ROM. :) Do you think you'll be able to add the Gen 2 cry data to the list you linked?

Thanks!
Gen 2 data is already in the list on another sheet.
You can change sheets with tabs under the scrollbar.

Posted by: Sherkel
Date: 2018-10-04 10:25:48

Thanks!
Gen 2 data is already in the list on another sheet.
You can change sheets with tabs under the scrollbar.
Ah, missed that! Probably going to mess around a lot with length soon.

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2018-10-04 11:26:21
Great work! :)

Date: 2018-10-06 10:16:33
I just add new sheet for 1997 beta gold.
It explains why some new Pokemons have shorter Missingno cry while other have regular one.

Basically, beta's cry data is still arranged by index number.
Game search Pokemon's Dex number value from Pokedex entry table and decide that Pokemon's cry location.

Index number 191~250 are set to No.152~No.211.
That range's cries are set to regular Missingno cry with length '0100'.
Gen 1 Missingno location are set to No.212~No.250.
They set original Missingno location's cry length to '0000', so their cry is much shorter than normal Missingno cry.
And beta still have 9 unique Missingno cry, so some pokemons are using that.

Also, I figured out why No.251 'Riifi' have Nidorina's cry.
The value 'FB'(251) is not located in Pokedex entry table, so game keep searching offsets behind the table until it finds 'FB'.
The nearest value 'FB'(251) from Pokedex entry table is located in 4A8 (1192), so index number is set to A8, which is Nidorina's index number.
So I think developers were originally trying to make only 99 Pokemons before they made Riifi.