Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Emulation & ROM Hacking

BGB and invalid opcodes. - Page 1

BGB and invalid opcodes.

Posted by: joshuarpl
Date: 2018-11-22 15:55:00
Whenever my bgb encounters an invalid opcode, it activates the debugger everytime I try to close it, as well as adding "invalid opcode" to the title of Debugger.
I thought bgb ignored unknown opcodes. How do you make bgb ignore unknown opcodes.

Re: BGB and invalid opcodes.

Posted by: ISSOtm
Date: 2018-11-22 16:29:10
BGB doesn't ignore invalid opcodes because they freeze the CPU. You can simulate BGB ignoring them manually, but there's no point.

In the latest release of BGB, you can turn off the debugger popping up constantly when one is hit by going to the Options (F11), Exceptions tab, and uncheck "Break on invalid opcodes". (Then click "OK" or "Apply".)

Posted by: Krys3000
Date: 2018-11-23 01:34:08
It would require a very bad quality emulator to ignore invalid opcodes. Fortunately, official material coming from big companies, like the Virtual Console, will not be that ba… WAIT

Posted by: Parzival
Date: 2018-11-23 10:10:46
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha… yeah… somehow, we're better than Nintendo at emulating THEIR OWN SHIT.