Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Emulation & ROM Hacking

That Offensive Bootleg ROM That Doesn't Run Because It Uses Pirate Hardware - Page 1

That Offensive Bootleg ROM That Doesn't Run Because It Uses Pirate Hardware

Posted by: Parzival
Date: 2019-02-07 20:55:32
Remember the game "Terrifying 9/11"? No?

good because it's garbage

EXCEPT for the fact that BGB won't run it because something something custom pirate cart.

well, yet. That's what i'm trying to accomplish, anyway.

[img]https://i.imgur.com/sCfbTuS.png[/img]

This is further than the stock ROM, at least. Stock ROM just turns off the LCD and hangs in one of various ways.

(Probably not gonna stop trying either because why not I can use the experience)

Re: That Offensive Bootleg ROM That Doesn't Run Because It Uses Pirate Hardware

Posted by: Sherkel
Date: 2019-02-07 21:06:36
First time hearing of it. This is actually quite an advanced-looking game. I wonder if my GB Boy could run it.

Posted by: Bert
Date: 2019-02-07 23:12:41

>Some Chinese troll ported Metal Slug to the GBC and made it about 9/11.
[img height=300]https://i.ytimg.com/vi/QX1SojKfgNI/maxresdefault.jpg[/img]

Date: 2019-02-08 07:50:39
yeah pretty much

Posted by: Sherkel
Date: 2019-02-08 07:57:10

Ohhhh…that explains it…wait, though, this looks like a really good port. Is there something I'm missing other than the obvious issue with the thematic material?

Date: 2019-02-08 08:17:52

Ohhhh…that explains it…wait, though, this looks like a really good port. Is there something I'm missing other than the obvious issue with the thematic material?
it doesn't boot in all but one shady emulator due to normally having custom hardware.

Posted by: ISSOtm
Date: 2019-02-08 08:39:21
It's impossible to run it in BGB. I investigated it, it uses a custom mapper that swaps bits of the ROM bank and of bytes read from ROMX. BGB doesn't emulate this.

Date: 2019-02-08 10:35:40

It's impossible to run it in BGB. I investigated it, it uses a custom mapper that swaps bits of the ROM bank and of bytes read from ROMX. BGB doesn't emulate this.
IIRC on the Discord it was found that it didn't actually use the encryption techniques you just described.IDR who it was tho…

Also I got it to partially do the custom hardware intro, so that's also evidence for that.

Date: 2019-02-09 00:51:16
I described those techniques just above. My guess is that you changed the ROM bank numbers written, but that won't bypass the other protection.

Date: 2019-02-09 06:29:23

I described those techniques just above. My guess is that you changed the ROM bank numbers written, but that won't bypass the other protection.
actually, no, i'm just fixing it every time it crashes until a portion works. I've not done any banking shenanigans.

Date: 2019-02-09 10:34:20
Fixing how?

Date: 2019-02-09 12:39:10

Fixing how?
Depends on the fuckup.

Posted by: Zowayix
Date: 2019-02-09 22:32:55
Right now it'll run in and only in (not even MAME) hhugboy version 1.1.8 and up.

Date: 2019-02-10 00:12:28

Right now it'll run in and only in (not even MAME) hhugboy version 1.1.8 and up.
i'm aware. I'm currently trying to read hhugboy's source for more info on the strange shit this game does but the code is just a mess.

Date: 2019-02-10 03:53:07
The problem is very simple, though, it's what I just described. Which I found by reading hhugboy's source - it was simple to find the MBC emulation functions, everything's there.

You still didn't say which fixes you're making. That sounds like you're making improper ones, that's why I'm asking.