Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Emulation & ROM Hacking

A help to use correctly the ????? pokémons pic like in Crystal? - Page 1

A help to use correctly the ????? pokémons pic like in Crystal?

Posted by: Halfshadow
Date: 2019-03-08 19:35:20
Please, can you help me? Thanks to Sanqui I used the ????? pokémons to show 2 extra pics in Crystal for my hack rom, but erase the same routine (IsApokémon) in G/S didn't work the same. The game still continues to ignore their pics and don't update the VRAM with their pics. If I try to battle them through gameshark codes I still see the last tileset land resource seen, and if I use the poképic script I see the charmap, 'cause the VRAM isn't updated with the pics.

Maybe in G/S is different. Maybe there is another reason. Can you please tell me why and find a way to fix this please?

Why ????? pics aren't loaded in VRAM in G/S?

Date: 2019-03-10 04:23:20
I asked help to fix this issue in the hacking subforum, but nobody replied. Maybe 'cause that section isn't so populated. XD

I fixed succesfully the issue in Crystal nopping the IsApokémon routine, but didn't work in G/S. But I need of use their pics also into to show the restored museum fossils.

Why the game don't load the ????? pics in VRAM and instead keep the latest tileset resource? Seems a curse! :'(

There are other related routines in G/S that avoid to load their pics?

Re: A help to use correctly the ????? pokémons pic like in Crystal?

Posted by: Sherkel
Date: 2019-03-10 10:46:51
Merged the two topics, as there's no need for two about the same question. Responses can be slow here when it comes to specialized questions, sometimes less so in Discord (for better or for worse), but anyway, I looked over mon_stats and load_pics and couldn't find anything suspect in case you were wondering. It might be best to ask a member of pret if nobody else has any ideas.

Date: 2019-03-10 13:38:33
Ok thank you for your attempt. Unfortunately however in the pret noone of them can help me, I already asked before.

Date: 2019-03-10 15:06:55
There is something odd. In Crystal I can encounter FE and FF pokémons at normal level if I use a gameshark code. And after the battle the game don't switch to the glitch dimension. In G/S instead I encounter level 0 glitch pokémons and after the battle I go in the glitch dimension. There is something wrong also in the battle loading with the ????? pokémons. I think that is the difference through G/S and Crystal. Nobody know the reason?

Date: 2019-03-18 20:15:28
The limitation can be fixed at the offset 0x5179C typing FEFFC8FEFF. Thanks to Koolboyman for the precious help.

Posted by: Parzival
Date: 2019-03-18 21:32:41

The limitation can be fixed at the offset 0x5179C typing FEFFC8FEFF. Thanks to Koolboyman for the precious help.
isn't $5179C in ROM? If it's in ROM, that makes it a ROM hack, and isn't what we normally do.

Posted by: Sherkel
Date: 2019-03-19 00:44:55
isn't $5179C in ROM? If it's in ROM, that makes it a ROM hack, and isn't what we normally do.
In this section, it is! :P

You got ahold of him?! Awesome! Good to hear you found out what you needed, and I hope he knows how many thousands of fans are still loving Prism.

Date: 2019-03-19 05:29:37

Are you meaning that normally you use the disassembly? I tried to use it, but I already started my project in binary mod and disassembly is better if you start a new project and wasn't compatible with italian roms, my G/S/C 2.0 project is for roms in both languages and the pokégold disassembly isn't very complete like Crystal. However I used the disassembly to search routines and once found also in roms I added the Safari game type battle routine and hacked also the switch into, I made a great hack. :)

Or maybe you meant that for rom addresses have to be used the $ character? I knew that for the hexadecimal addresses you had to use the "0x" before the offset… Sorry. :)

Date: 2019-03-19 10:44:44
You got ahold of him?! Awesome! Good to hear you found out what you needed, and I hope he knows how many thousands of fans are still loving Prism.
Yep. He didn't remember exactly how made it, however told me what did, I tried replacing all the FB and FC values trough the hex editor and finally I did it and I found exactly only the necessary bytes.