Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Emulation & ROM Hacking

The "Perfect" Emulator [A discussion] - Page 1

The "Perfect" Emulator [A discussion]

Posted by: SEINO
Date: 2019-03-27 17:13:21
So, i've watched TheZZAZZGlitch's video on Glitches and Emulation Accuracy. [Check it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQZMVo_Fmrs]
I've been wondering if it was possible to create an emulator that works similar to virtual console that doesn't hang or crash, but Hooks unknown opcodes for internal use. The ideal "Perfect Emulator" would be one that has benefits of Virtual Console, and regular emulation. [As demonstrated in the video, he goes to a glitch map, and it does some weird stuff, In VC, it just crashes. Having an emulator that hooks Opcodes and doesn't crash would be pretty neat.]

Share your thoughts an opinions below. Just thought I would spark this discussion.

Re: The "Perfect" Emulator [A discussion]

Posted by: ISSOtm
Date: 2019-03-27 22:01:39
What's "regular emulation"?

Posted by: Parzival
Date: 2019-03-27 22:23:39
i think he meant "good emulators", based on context?

You might be able to mod an existing emulator from source and allow you to toggle on and off parts of the handler code for things like unknown ops, invalid banking, ECHO RAM, etc. but there's not much point to it, tbh.

Posted by: Sherkel
Date: 2019-03-28 05:03:31
I'm actually a bit surprised there hasn't been an emulator fork of some sort that has the differences VC does, at least as far as we know them. Then again, there isn't that much demand or need for one unless some really important VC-exclusive exploit is found.

The aim should either be as much accuracy as possible to that or to the original system, though, not some mix of both. That would basically be a knockoff console.

Posted by: J92R
Date: 2019-03-28 08:45:34
There is an emulator on android called VGBANext that has a built-in debugger and anti-crash methods, so I mean, maybe you can utilize that somehow.

Posted by: Parzival
Date: 2019-03-28 13:52:57

There is an emulator on android called VGBANext that has a built-in debugger and anti-crash methods, so I mean, maybe you can utilize that somehow.
I'll check that out sometime, see if it's a fork of VBA as the name would suggest.