Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

General Discussion

Money/Jobz - Page 2

Money/Jobz

Posted by: LedZeplin2
Date: 2007-11-04 11:16:04
I hope so, too. It's really putting me down to be thinking about college, and *gasp* work.

Money/Jobz

Posted by: Missing? NO!
Date: 2007-11-04 11:16:41

I hope so, too. It's really putting me down to be thinking about college, and *gasp* work.

I already have work.
What is your job?

Money/Jobz

Date: 2007-11-04 11:22:14
None, currently. And, honestly, I have no idea what I'll do after college. I may just go somewhere like Maryland or Ohio or some place like that, heaven only knows.

Money/Jobz

Posted by: Bent`
Date: 2007-11-04 13:35:55
If you want to get into college, study for the ACT and SAT and score well on them. That will open you up to a variety of scholarships and also cut down on the number of prerequisites you'll have to take in college, reducing the amount of time and money you'll spend.

If you plan on starting college the fall semester after you graduate, fill out the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) as soon as possible after January of that year. You HAVE to fill this out if you want to be eligible for federal grants. Generally you receive a Pell grant for a certain amount depending on your family's income, the cost of tuition, and how many household members are attending college.

Starting out at a community college is a great option, because they have extremely low tuition for in-district residents. They usually only offer Associate's degrees, so if you want a Bachelor's make sure you look at transferring to a bigger university later. Transferring requires that you keep track of which classes transfer, however; for example, all my math, English, and physics classes will transfer to the nearby university, but all of the college's computer science classes transfer to the university as "Engineering for Non-Majors" (i.e. they don't transfer).

BTW, I never finished high school. Halfway through my junior year I had to stop due to family matters; around March I took the GED. I'm not sure whether I would or wouldn't recommend this (I was homeschooled so my graduation options would have been wonky anyway), but so far I haven't run into any problems. Once you get into college your options are much clearer than what they were in high school.

Money/Jobz

Date: 2007-11-04 13:39:29
I hear they teach it better in college than high school. Is this true?

Yeah, my cousin in New York (State) is in community college, he has to pay a low tuition…

Money/Jobz

Date: 2007-11-04 14:00:55
It is indeed taught better than high school. However, the first semester has started out slow, teaching stuff that I already knew. Particularly my programming, math, and "Introduction to Computers" classes. We're getting into more advanced and interesting topics now, though (except in Intro to Computers…).

Also for anyone looking into programming as a career, learn as many programming languages as you can now, in high school! It will give you more experience and a better chance at succeeding in any programming classes you may take. (I <333 assembly, as not only is it cool but it also teaches the fundamental concepts of programming better than C.)

Money/Jobz

Date: 2007-11-04 14:10:03
My school is notorious for having a horrendous math department. Most know nothing, and the ones who do end up fired after a year or leave on their own. That's why I'm concerned. I'll be doomed at math.

Money/Jobz

Date: 2007-11-04 14:19:28
Some colleges provide tutors, though you probably have to be a student there to take advantage of the services. Hmm…

My community college does have a program for high school students to sit in on some college classes. Do you have a CC in your area? If so, you might try contacting them and asking what options there are for high school students looking for low-level math classes.

Money/Jobz

Date: 2007-11-04 14:21:03
No, not in my area, I don't think…

Re: Money/Jobz

Posted by: Sorreah
Date: 2007-11-07 21:22:10
I definitely like my community college better than high school. Much more laid back and friendly, and the teachers are better too.

Unfortunately, my job hunt last summer was a total waste of time, but I need a job, so I have to start looking again. Bleh, no one cares about your experience at a quilt shop… 

Posted by: Missing? NO!
Date: 2007-11-07 21:47:25

I definitely like my community college better than high school. Much more laid back and friendly, and the teachers are better too.

Unfortunately, my job hunt last summer was a total waste of time, but I need a job, so I have to start looking again. Bleh, no one cares about your experience at a quilt shop… 

Quilt shop?
Ugh, do you like knitting?

Posted by: Sorreah
Date: 2007-11-07 21:58:37
My mom's into quilting and embroidery (via special machine), and while she was working at this quilt shop she got me a job there. I worked for a couple months cutting fabric and then went back to school. You'd think that having some previous job experience would help me find a new job, but noooo….