Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

General Discussion

Encoding - Page 1

Encoding

Posted by: Ghostsanora
Date: 2007-12-01 23:56:50
Red ,blue, yellow, gold, and silver all have coding that translates into hexadecimals. But simply because they have pokemon numbers below 255. The newer games all have over this number, what do these games translate into? Octadecimals wouldn't work, they only reach 324.

Re: Encoding

Posted by: Newo
Date: 2007-12-02 06:22:37
They just have higher digits, they go upto FFFF, which is 65,535.

You can't translate them though.

Posted by: LedZeplin2
Date: 2007-12-02 06:47:33
What does FFFF do?

Posted by: Guy
Date: 2007-12-02 06:49:16
Isn't it 65536?

Posted by: Newo
Date: 2007-12-02 06:59:44
No, my calculator says not.

Posted by: Bent`
Date: 2007-12-02 17:29:11
Technically FFFF translates to 65535, but since programming often starts counting from zero, it's actually the 65536th number.

Date: 2007-12-02 18:28:17
That makes sense. And by "translates", I meant how the programmers translate the binary code that the game uses into something that they themselves could read:

can you read that?
In hexadecimals it reads 15 which is the quantity digit for mew.

Posted by: Bent`
Date: 2007-12-02 20:35:19
Modern electronic computers use boolean logic with binary numbers to perform functions. For data storage (including the storage of computer programs), binary digits are grouped by eight to form a byte. This gives us 256 possibilities for a number (28). When something larger is needed, multiple bytes are used to provide more possibilities; two bytes, for example, provide 65536 numerical possibilities.

Although binary is what goes on at the processor level, oftentimes programmers instead convert binary numbers to their hexadecimal counterparts – for example, 00010101b would be converted to 15h, and 11111111b would be converted to FFh. They're still the same number, but represented differently.

As said before, all modern processors use boolean logic. In its most common form, Boolean is a type of algebra that uses logical operators (AND, OR, XOR, NOT) instead of arithmetic operators (+, -, /, *). All commands of a computer can be reduced to different combinations of these (and even to just NOT and AND, though this isn't always practical). Different combinations of these logical operators form a processor's instruction set – the list of commands that can be executed by a processor.

In general, each instruction is represented by one or two bytes that are executed in the computer's memory. For example: the Game Boy uses 3Ch to represent the command "inc a" – short for increment accumulator. (The accumulator is a register in the Game Boy CPU that holds one byte of data.) In this case, 3Ch is the binary-converted-to-hexadecimal command, and "inc a" is the assembly command, which has no significance except to the programmer.

Date: 2007-12-02 21:15:50
O_o Thank you?

(Where the hell do you people learn this stuff?)

I think I'm gonna' have to read that over a few times before I get it straight…

edit: I get it now, it's pretty much what i knew already.

1d=1h=1b

255d=FFh=11111111b

The scheme also allows you to figure the special stat for the ditto trick from the corresponding hex value if you know the formula,which I do not.(or if you own a calculator)