Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

General Discussion

Anonymous Discussion is back! - Page 1

Anonymous Discussion is back!

Posted by: GARYM9
Date: 2008-09-05 10:53:10
I gave this board the Anonymous Discussion permission set (it's still there) to allow guests to post, make new topics, etc.  New topics will have to be approval pending so I'll be expecting some Global Mods to help with topic approval.  Thanks.

Reason for this was because Anonymous Discussion WAS merged into General Discussion and there's some topics in General Discussion that refers to guests being able to post. Thought it was unfair for newer guests to see that old guests got to post in topics but they can't.

I'll be testing the guest permissions after I post this to see if it works.

Edit: It works but they can't vote in polls even though the checkbox is checked.

Re: Anonymous Discussion is back!

Posted by: Newo
Date: 2008-09-06 18:17:07
Don't you think we should require guest posts to be approved? As guests may take this oppotunity to troll.
And what is the point of Guests posting Polls if they cannot post in them?

Posted by: GARYM9
Date: 2008-09-06 20:33:26
They can post in them but for some reason they can't vote in them do to an SMF glitch.

As for post approval, it'll probably discourage some guests from posting, but I'll activate it anyway.

Date: 2008-09-08 09:54:21
Well the problem we had with the comments is people didn't post for worthwhile things. It was spam and all.

Posted by: HiddenShadow
Date: 2008-09-09 15:02:43
Yeah. A lot of people would take the chance to post spam on here because they could get away with it. Guests will do that. I say that if they want to post, they should join. *Shrugs* I dunno. That just makes more sense to me.

Posted by: Yuzihax
Date: 2008-09-09 17:59:49

Yeah. A lot of people would take the chance to post spam on here because they could get away with it. Guests will do that. I say that if they want to post, they should join. *Shrugs* I dunno. That just makes more sense to me.

Agreed with this.

Posted by: Abwayax
Date: 2008-09-09 18:27:42

Yeah. A lot of people would take the chance to post spam on here because they could get away with it.

How often did this happen in anon discussion? For that matter, how often DID guests use anon discussion?

Date: 2008-09-10 11:25:14
I think we should get rid of the security, but screen them instead. People would prefer it.

Posted by: PichuUmbreon
Date: 2008-12-01 18:40:53

I think we should get rid of the security, but screen them instead. People would prefer it.

That would give floodbots the power to annoy us much, if we remove the captcha.