Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

General Discussion

Apple's new iPod Nano and iPod Touch - Page 1

Apple's new iPod Nano and iPod Touch

Posted by: Guy
Date: 2008-09-11 17:19:01
www.apple.com
Aw yeah!…I really want one of those new iPod Touchs…there's a video on there that has Steve Jobs going on about iTunes 8, and the new iPods. Friggin awesome. Check the site for more info on what I'm talking about.

Re: Apple's new iPod Nano and iPod Touch

Posted by: MissingNo
Date: 2008-09-11 18:14:03
Honestly, I wouldn't get a Touch.

They taxed older users of the Touch just for the new features that it should have came with in the first place.

$20 for Mail, Maps, Stocks, Weather, customizable home screen, Notes, and iTunes Movie Rentals does NOT justify the price. The iPhone had those apps. And new iPod touches came WITH the update.

And then they later released another update for $10 - the "2.0" software - Push email/contacts, Exchange support (who here seriously runs Exchange?), searchable contacts (should have been there in the first place), mobileMe support ("exchange for the rest of us"), a scientific calculator, support for more attachments, mass-delete/moving email, parental controls, the App Store, a remote control for iTunes - still isn't justified if the iPhone users got it for free. And of course new Touches got the same updates… for free.

It's not fucking worth it people - just jailbreak and get the GOOD apps that Apple's denying into the App Store.
Stuff like the Instinctiv Shuffle intelligent shuffle program, background applications (such as COPY AND PASTE APPLICATIONS), programs that display info on the lock screen (like weather, etc), no emulation, etc.

If I were to have to pay an extra fee for something iPhone owners got for free, I'd kick someone at Apple.

*ends rant*

Posted by: Abwayax
Date: 2008-09-11 19:30:40
They taxed older users of the Touch just for the new features that it should have came with in the first place.

that's because Apple's a bunch of greedy bastards. You can tell this right away because it charges waaay too much for its crap. iPod is a recognized brand name and Apple knows it can make people pay more than they even need to just to own "an actual iPod" even though there are equivalent media players like Creative Zens and Sony Walkmen that do the same things but are cheaper.

Case in point: my 1GB Zen Stone cost roughly $25. A 1GB iPod Shuffle, which is essentially the same goddamn thing, costs roughly $50 at the same store.

Posted by: :56 ERROR
Date: 2008-09-11 20:01:05
Abwayax is SO right. Plus the iPhone has a lot of glitches and errors, which is why it sucks.

Posted by: Guy
Date: 2008-09-12 15:08:16
Going back to deepBlue's comment, how do you jailbreak? I know what it is, but not how to do it.

Posted by: Zach the Glitch Buster
Date: 2008-09-13 10:08:40
Yeah, but its just so freaking kick ass. The $10 upgrade for the touch does seem like a rip off. But really, most of apples stuff is worth the price. A free year warranty alone is worth the extra 25$ to some people. And F.Y.I, the teck support kick major ass. You can argue if you've never bean at the genus bar with a real problem.

Posted by: Phrawger
Date: 2008-09-15 05:14:21

Yeah, but its just so freaking kick ass. The $10 upgrade for the touch does seem like a rip off. But really, most of apples stuff is worth the price. A free year warranty alone is worth the extra 25$ to some people. And F.Y.I, the teck support kick major ass. You can argue if you've never bean at the genus bar with a real problem.

A free warranty… is worth $25? What?
And I'd rather not have to call tech support at all, regardless of how well they work.

Posted by: Zach the Glitch Buster
Date: 2008-09-23 17:30:45

A free warranty… is worth $25? What?
And I'd rather not have to call tech support at all, regardless of how well they work.

A year warranty comes free, and the product is more expensive. Why its expensive is anyone's guess. It could be to cover the free teck support, it could be to cover the cost of the more expensive materials, it could be cause there squeezing you for money. I like to think two and three are true. So my contradiction still stands, put you get my point.

Also, you don't call teck support. You go to the apple store. The people there are damn good at what they do. I went to the one around where I am with a busted iPod. They tried to fix it, they didn't, so they just gave me a new one. Also, in a different store on the other side of the country, they guy there helped me fix my computer after I partitioned it to death. None of this cost me anything.