Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

General Discussion

I hate Xbox 360s! - Page 1

I hate Xbox 360s!

Posted by: Wild MissingNo. appeared
Date: 2009-04-07 02:54:30
Seriously, I fucking hate them! I just got mine back yesterday from the repair shop after it being gone for over 3 weeks, and it was perfectly fine last night. Now it won't work so now I get the 3 solid flashing Red Rings of Death. *Sighs* I was happy to have it back, and I could finally get Silent Hill Homecoming the game I've been dying to get my hands on but now, my 360 is dead once again. It started when it first made a very loud odd noise, then the CD tray getting stuck 6 times, and my Saints Row 2, crashing then my GTA 4 crashing. So, looks like I waited nearly 4 weeks for my 360 to be repaired when it's now dead again, argh!

Re: I hate Xbox 360s!

Posted by: Piedie
Date: 2009-04-07 10:56:05
Wow ,lol, the Xbox does not like you….

But how long have you had it???

Date: 2009-04-07 11:18:31
Not long. I got it for Christmas last year. At first it was a Harddrive failure, where my hard drive, wasn't working properly, so a few days later I got a new one, then the second time I'd gotten 4 flashing rings, so I sent it off to be repaired, and it's came back, and now I get 3 solid flashing rings. I'll have to save up to get a new one. I am hoping for PS3 for my 21st birthday, but I still need a 360 to play Saints Row 2. I love that game, it's fun.

Posted by: Ketsuban
Date: 2009-04-07 12:05:35
4 flashing lights = A/V cable isn't plugged in.
3 flashing lights = overheated.  Let it sit in a cool place for 4 hours.

Date: 2009-04-07 15:10:08
I've read about the problem on the official website, and it isn't over heating. My system is ice cold, it hasn't been on more than 5 minutes. It's a General Hardware Failure, or a Digital core Failure. One poor guy had 2 Rings of Death, and he thought it was over heating when it was a fatal error. I was hoping I'd be playing Left 4 Dead again, once I'd gotten my glasses, (I have 'em now), but my 360 fails again this morning so, I paid out a lot of money to get it repaired instead the fucker dies again. All thought when I was playing Assassin's Creed, one night my 360 was suddenly flashing green and red, at the same time. But for as long as I've had the damned thing it's been fine after I had gotten a new hard drive. I know 4 means, no AV wire, but it's always plugged in, at the back and I make sure it is. This time it's either a hardware failure or a digital core failure. I'm not getting it fixed so, I'll just have to buy a new one.

Posted by: Oddcake
Date: 2009-04-07 17:33:05
Yeah, it'll probably be less exspensive to get a new one anyway.

Date: 2009-04-07 17:44:00
As soon as it made an odd noise, I knew something was going to go wrong, and I was right. ??

Date: 2009-04-07 17:48:51

As soon as it made an odd noise, I knew something was going to go wrong, and I was right. ??

You wish you were not right, don't you (I would)

Date: 2009-04-07 17:55:33
I always seem to know when something is going to go wrong, as long of things have gone wrong for me at my times of growing up. I'm only 20 years old, and I'd had a lot of bad luck over the years.

Date: 2009-04-07 18:13:02

I always seem to know when something is going to go wrong, as long of things have gone wrong for me at my times of growing up. I'm only 20 years old, and I'd had a lot of bad luck over the years.

To bad about the bad luck, but, lets not let this get off topic, shall we?

Date: 2009-04-07 18:15:54
I made this because I got so pissed with my 360 failing yet again.

Posted by: MissingNo
Date: 2009-04-12 12:13:10
The 3-red-ring syndrome is due to what in the electronics world is known as a BGA failure.

See, to lower production costs of electronics, devices use what's called a "ball grid array" on their chips. The chips as well as the printed circuit board have solder "pads", or small metallic squares. Little balls of solder are used to connect both series of pads, thus attaching the chip to the board.

The advantages of using a ball-grid array are enormous: They can pack over 500 or more pins into a very small area on a chip and more components can be placed in a smaller area.

After a while of operation, these balls begin to warm up and slightly melt, causing a failure of the component on the board as the chip begins to lose electrical contact with the board.

The XBox development team has released numerous different models of XBox 360 to try and alleviate the issue. From what I know, the latest version is codenamed "Jasper". They use even smaller components to try to lower the chances of overheating, which in turn lessens the chances of a "three-red-ring-of-death" situation.

To find a "Jasper" 360 out in the wild check out http://www.engadget.com/2008/12/10/inside-an-xbox-360-jasper-ben-heck-dissects-the-mythical-consol/.

Date: 2009-04-12 13:09:48
I was gonna get an 360 Elite, with the extra hard drive space, I could use since I have other Xbox accounts, as I do restart again on some of my games, so I can learn from my mistakes, but I keep my old data, so I can remember where I last went and how to get here 'cause I have such bad memory. No doubt this "Jasper" one, won't be in the UK for ages, as we always get things way later and by then I would of gotten a new one anyway.