Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

General Discussion

"A Conversation with God" - Page 1

"A Conversation with God"

Posted by: Abwayax
Date: 2009-04-25 22:54:52
So the other day I stopped by my old AP US History teacher, whom I had last year. I noticed some projects on the wall and reasoned that they were the "roaring twenties" projects the juniors had just done. I talked about how lame mine was (Prohibition Pirate versus Crime Ninja!) and then the teacher referred to one that she said she knew I would like.

The title was "A Conversation with God" and it was styled like an xkcd comic. There was a stick figure guy praying to God about evolution and whatnot. The text roughly reads like this:
Stick figure:Oh God why have you let evolution spread
God: Evolution was my idea
Stick figure: What
God: The Israelites were too stupid to understand DNA so I made up a bullshit creation story to satisfy their curiosity
Stick figure: *facepalm*

Discuss plz

Re: "A Conversation with God"

Posted by: Ratipharos
Date: 2009-04-26 09:22:58
RACIST FACEPALMING!

Date: 2009-04-26 15:25:34
how are facepalms racist?

Date: 2009-04-26 17:52:01
Facepalming ABOUT racism, shall I say.
Reminds me of what a friend would do.

Posted by: Axaj
Date: 2009-04-27 09:14:51
So true, if god were real then evolution would still be true.

Date: 2009-04-27 15:11:26
Yeah, my theory is that God created evolution. Solves both problems.

Date: 2009-04-28 22:00:48

What about the problem of a benevolent, all-loving God making up bullshit for his sheeple because they don't understand that "DNA is what controls who you are" (as stated in the original comic, but which I didn't include in my paraphrasing)? Not to mention the fact that an understanding of DNA isn't really necessary to understand Darwin's theory of natural selection.

I think I'd rather not believe in a God who insults my intelligence. Atheism solves pretty much every problem posited by religion, in my view.

Posted by: Newo
Date: 2009-04-29 12:10:53

What about the problem of a benevolent, all-loving God making up bullshit for his sheeple because they don't understand that "DNA is what controls who you are" (as stated in the original comic, but which I didn't include in my paraphrasing)? Not to mention the fact that an understanding of DNA isn't really necessary to understand Darwin's theory of natural selection.

I think I'd rather not believe in a God who insults my intelligence. Atheism solves pretty much every problem posited by religion, in my view.

I don't believe in any Gods who would send me to eternal torture for not believing in them. The Gnomes and The fairies don't do that to me. Thus as an Athiest I either am correct or God wont punish me for something so trivial or maybe God will torture everyone due to heartless-ness so my trip to hell at least will be a social experience.

Evolution FTW. Otherwise my Magikarp would be bad….

Date: 2009-04-29 14:36:27
Well, MY God took a break billions of years ago and never came back. Because free will is good.

You know, this reminds me of a quote from Madagascar 2:
"CURSE YOU DARWIN!"

Posted by: Wa
Date: 2009-04-29 21:56:51

It kind of makes sense. If you look at the average peer, you would think that the human race hasn't evolved much since the Israelites. For instance, my classmates have been known to misspell "bus" and not know what nitrogen is (and that was a student of the month!) And atheism doesn't really solve the need for an imaginary friend, which many people rely on. Still, this is a fun evolution theory for people deeply seated in Christianity or Judaism who are willing to take the Bible metaphorically.

Posted by: xparasite9
Date: 2009-04-29 23:32:57

I don't believe in any Gods who would send me to eternal torture for not believing in them.

See, you're misunderstanding. The…I guess doctrine would be the term…is that God does not send people to Hell. People themselves do that, and God, wishing to have humans have free will without any sheltering from consequences, allows people to walk the primrose path.

Now. my turn to make fun of the Big Bang theory.
"And for my next trick, I shall take this ordinary pocketwatch, place it in this bag, and smash it into a million pieces. Then, I shall shake up the contents of this bag for many Aeons and eventually it will form another working object."

Posted by: Wild GHOST
Date: 2009-05-04 04:47:56

Now. my turn to make fun of the Big Bang theory.
"And for my next trick, I shall take this ordinary pocketwatch, place it in this bag, and smash it into a million pieces. Then, I shall shake up the contents of this bag for many Aeons and eventually it will form another working object."

I don't believe you understand how the Big Bang Theory works; that pocketwatch is the clump of all matter at the start, and each of the individual pieces are the planets and other celestial bodies. This "another working object" that you mention is not a part of the theory. Admittedly it's not an infallible theory, but it is the best explanation given the currently available evidence.

Date: 2009-05-06 00:52:25

*wakes up, yawns*

"Y'know, for some reason I feel like making an Earth right now."

Posted by: glitchhunter09
Date: 2009-05-08 19:46:41
Believe it or not the is a FarSide (a one panel cartoon comic strip featured in news papers back in the late 80's up through the mid 90's) In it god calls a guy sitting in his chair because he thinks that he is someone else. Then the guy tells him no and god says "Oh sorry, wrong number" and hangs up. The caption below reads " After that Ernie (or whatever his name was. I forgot.) decided to tell his friends that he had talked to god." or something along those lines.