Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

General Discussion

I think I'm done. - Page 1

I think I'm done.

Posted by: xparasite9
Date: 2009-09-22 14:44:25
This is something that has slowly been increasingly happening, but now I think it's 98% official.
There's just not much of anything…research-wise, that there's left to do. Sure, there's over six thousand garbage-data Pokémon in the R/S/E generation, and there's the tweaking glitch in D/P/Pt (I did manage to do it in Platinum, yes).
I just somehow no longer find this enjoyable. People are getting better at debugging, so it's not like there's much more in the future for us to do.
I've done a bit for you guys, but I don't really think I did all that much. I joined a bit late for what I wanted to contribute to, and I'm not even sure if I would have done much then. Despite that, I made a few minor discoveries, and helped out with the databases, and did some forum moderation and later administration.
I think the biggest contribution to reducing my activity was joining Maplestory. I'll just leave it at that.
Regarding the site, it's in a state of decline. We're nearing an end in Pokémon glitch research, and right now we're clinging on to what we have desperately. The wiki is really just a rehash of everything, but I do support it since it's a format that people find user-friendly.
If we are to hope to continue glitch researching, we must expand our horizons. This move is a risky one, as there are many paths to take, and most will create division. If the focus is shifted to glitches on an entire system, then fans of a rival system will be turned off to the idea. However, doing so may bring in more people. Project Caspar has demonstrated itself to largely be a failure, possibly for being too broad, and perhaps might just not have been announced enough. Whatever the reason, it's a step in the right direction, and needs to be tried again.
Quite a few times over the course of my being here, I've been a prick. I have no idea why. I guess I grew up around pricks, and that's pretty much how I was raised. Slowly but surely it's reduced though, so maybe part of it was just immaturity. At any rate, I apologize for having been a prick all those times.
Now I'm in college, so free time has really reduced. I feel it appropriate to pass the torch to you younger folks. Do what you deem necessary, and be sure to use the utilities to check for errors in the boards and stuff like that.
I'll log on occasionally and look around to see how things are doing, possibly even help with the wiki or site. Who knows? Maybe I'll fully return someday.
and uh…I guess that's it. See you around.

Re: I think I'm done.

Posted by: glitchhunter09
Date: 2009-09-22 15:57:03
Bye xparasite9. Even though I never really liked you that much, its kind of sad to see you go, even if it isn't permanent. To be truly honest with you, even though I fought with you on occasion, You sort of grew on me.

Well take care now!  ;)

Posted by: tachi
Date: 2009-09-22 18:23:34
well see ya!

Posted by: Ketsuban
Date: 2009-09-22 18:34:14
Abwayax said that goodbye threads are forbidden.

Due to the emotional tearjerking and drama goodbye threads create, they are no longer not allowed on this forum.

If you are leaving, feel free to stick it in your signature or something.

Threads that urge a member to come back are also not allowed.

Edit: Threads about retiring from staff or losing status are also not allowed. Stricken out

And the last part doesn't apply since you're no longer an admin.

Posted by: Missing? NO!
Date: 2009-09-22 19:19:42

Due to the emotional tearjerking and drama goodbye threads create, they are no longer not allowed on this forum.

Edit: Threads about retiring from staff or losing status are also not allowed. Stricken out

He was a staff member for most of his time here, so why not?

Anyway, it was nice knowing you, Mr. Parasite.

Posted by: Wa
Date: 2009-09-22 20:05:09
I must say that I agree with xparasite9 - there's just not much left to do. This does not necessarily constitute a reason to leave, which is why most of us are still here. Either way, I salute this former staff member, all prickery aside.

Posted by: Phrawger
Date: 2009-09-22 20:13:08
Para's not one for "omg im leaving OH WAIT NOW IM NOT but now i am BUT WAIT THERE'S more".

Have a good one, parasite. While I may not have always agreed with you, I try to respect you. Hope to see you again soon.

Posted by: shaggs
Date: 2009-09-24 21:49:27
Your the best dude. and lord miller, snitches get stitches.

Posted by: Guy
Date: 2009-09-25 06:26:45

I'm gonna allow this one for now. It's not really a "longing for attention to come back" thread, and he's also making what many think is a good point about glitch research in general. However, we'll have to see what the Admins think.

Anyway, I have to say I agree with you somewhat about the glitch research, and I am sad to also agree with you on Project Caspar being a failure. However, I think it might have a chance of coming back, especially if we find a series that happens to have many glitches or things that HEX values change to try out (like Sonic, maybe?). What we need is people to specialize in those, like Yuzihax with Sonic. Because of this post, I actually might get out my Gameshark or Action Replay again and try out codes on my few non-Pokémon games. Wish me luck.

By the way, bye.

Posted by: Abwayax
Date: 2009-09-25 19:29:45
The problem with Caspar is simply that we don't have enough "staff" to commit to it. The creation of the wiki is one of the ways we're dealing with this problem, and there are currently 7 Caspar articles on the wiki (5 of which are marked approved). I'd say this is an increase from the, oh… zero Caspar articles we have on the current site. So no, IMHO it hasn't "failed" yet (except in the opinion of those who won't give it the time to succeed)

The other problem with Caspar is that it fits only somewhat into GCL's verification policy. We require that all submissions be verified by a staff member in order to be added to the site/made visible on the wiki. In the case of Pokémon this is simple because every one of us is familiar with it and can confirm that a glitch exists in Pokémon. We have a Caspar article on a Psychonauts glitch - one of the 2 that is not yet approved. Obviously one would have to actually 1) have Psychonauts on hand, 2) have played (or be willing to play) it up to the point where the glitch would be possible, to fully verify it and give it the GCL stamp of approval. I would have checked it out myself but, shockingly, I don't have Psychonauts, so I can't. The article is here at Warp glitch. Any other staffer who can verify, please do.

Obviously for Caspar's initial domains (Mario, Sonic, Zelda) this probably wouldn't be a problem since those series of games are fairly popular and there should be at least one person on staff who can verify a glitch for games such as Sonic 3 or Ocarina of Time. The problem exists when we move into other areas (i.e. something other than Nintendo or Sonic).

The other other problem with Caspar is what Tombstoner above alluded to - Pokémon games are very (almost inherently) buggy, whereas other game devs tend to actually debug their games. We can have hundreds of articles detailing bugs in Pokémon videogames; on the other hand, would this be possible in a Sonic game?

The very point of the wiki is to enable the community to sort of "take over" from the hands of six or seven "site admins." Seeing as how it hasn't even launched yet, I think it's rather premature to say that anything has failed. As for the state of Pokémon glitch research, I have to admit that we've probably hit a dead end WRT new discoveries. The first two generations were the buggiest, and we've pretty much scoured those dry. The Celebi Trick for G/S/C enables us to do pretty much what the Ditto and Old Man Tricks did for R/B/Y, which is sort of a win (would have been more of one if it didn't come 10 years late, but eh :P ). I think what we have with the wiki, now, is just to compile all of that knowledge into an easily-digestible form (something that we didn't really do so well with the current site) and let it stand as a living archive. There's a chance that more will come out of Heart Gold and Soul Silver, though, and there's also the prospect of a fifth generation. We might be at a standstill now, but the Pokémon world is constantly evolving (like a Pokémon itself) and we shouldn't stay still while it does.

Fun fact: I suggested a wiki in 2005 on the old glitchcity.net. The other admins flatly rejected it. Funny how times change, eh?

Posted by: Ratipharos
Date: 2009-09-25 21:08:55

The problem with Caspar is simply that we don't have enough "staff" to commit to it. The creation of the wiki is one of the ways we're dealing with this problem, and there are currently 7 Caspar articles on the wiki (5 of which are marked approved). I'd say this is an increase from the, oh… zero Caspar articles we have on the current site. So no, IMHO it hasn't "failed" yet (except in the opinion of those who won't give it the time to succeed)

The other problem with Caspar is that it fits only somewhat into GCL's verification policy. We require that all submissions be verified by a staff member in order to be added to the site/made visible on the wiki. In the case of Pokémon this is simple because every one of us is familiar with it and can confirm that a glitch exists in Pokémon. We have a Caspar article on a Psychonauts glitch - one of the 2 that is not yet approved. Obviously one would have to actually 1) have Psychonauts on hand, 2) have played (or be willing to play) it up to the point where the glitch would be possible, to fully verify it and give it the GCL stamp of approval. I would have checked it out myself but, shockingly, I don't have Psychonauts, so I can't. The article is here at Warp glitch. Any other staffer who can verify, please do.

Obviously for Caspar's initial domains (Mario, Sonic, Zelda) this probably wouldn't be a problem since those series of games are fairly popular and there should be at least one person on staff who can verify a glitch for games such as Sonic 3 or Ocarina of Time. The problem exists when we move into other areas (i.e. something other than Nintendo or Sonic).

The other other problem with Caspar is what Tombstoner above alluded to - Pokémon games are very (almost inherently) buggy, whereas other game devs tend to actually debug their games. We can have hundreds of articles detailing bugs in Pokémon videogames; on the other hand, would this be possible in a Sonic game?

The very point of the wiki is to enable the community to sort of "take over" from the hands of six or seven "site admins." Seeing as how it hasn't even launched yet, I think it's rather premature to say that anything has failed. As for the state of Pokémon glitch research, I have to admit that we've probably hit a dead end WRT new discoveries. The first two generations were the buggiest, and we've pretty much scoured those dry. The Celebi Trick for G/S/C enables us to do pretty much what the Ditto and Old Man Tricks did for R/B/Y, which is sort of a win (would have been more of one if it didn't come 10 years late, but eh :P ). I think what we have with the wiki, now, is just to compile all of that knowledge into an easily-digestible form (something that we didn't really do so well with the current site) and let it stand as a living archive. There's a chance that more will come out of Heart Gold and Soul Silver, though, and there's also the prospect of a fifth generation. We might be at a standstill now, but the Pokémon world is constantly evolving (like a Pokémon itself) and we shouldn't stay still while it does.

Fun fact: I suggested a wiki in 2005 on the old glitchcity.net. The other admins flatly rejected it. Funny how times change, eh?

ORLY?

What other games would we have? (Besides Warp Glitch.) Not many other games are commonly played, and others aren't played in a way to achieve glitchdom.

Posted by: glitchhunter09
Date: 2009-09-25 23:50:12
I did an article of glitches for Dragonball Z Buu's Fury and recorded videos to back the data up. Those should still be on the wiki if things haven't been altered.

Posted by: Bent`
Date: 2009-09-26 00:29:33
I remember making a goodbye post when I started college. I wound up never leaving at all

Posted by: Ratipharos
Date: 2009-09-26 08:41:14
We should compile all of the Goodbye posts.

@ Abwayax: Four years ago, people were less aware of wikis. They thought that all wikis were spammish. (Where I live.)

Posted by: Abwayax
Date: 2009-09-28 21:54:05
I think it was more of the concern that a bunch of wahoos could just put in whatever they wanted. Back then, the Flagged Revisions extension didn't exist.