Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

General Discussion

Why I changed my name - Page 1

Why I changed my name

Posted by: Abwayax
Date: 2009-11-18 00:46:38
I've been known almost universally as Abwayax since roughly November 2004 (roughly the time the third GCL ancestor, PPRL, was created) and as "Professor Abwayax ? Glitch" since February of that same year. I've kept that name for about 5 years until I adopted this new one. Some people continue to refer to me as Abwayax, which is fine. I can't make anyone use this new name.

However, I just wanted to explain the reason behind the name change. I view it simply as the end of a chapter of my life. The name Abwayax has been through so much crap, much of it rather negative. It has gone through so much drama. The name change is simply a way for me to distance myself from those events and allow myself to focus on the future.

There is no denying the importance of the past. However, there are many things that are best left alone. Tying myself to that world is not something I want anymore. I want to simply fade away in the eyes of those who have no more importance in my life. Since this name change there are undoubtedly people on a handful of forums wondering what has happened to "Abwayax" (or "Number 100"). For those forums, he no longer exists. On GCLF and a select handful of forums, he continues to exist as "Adrian Malacoda". This isn't a "new me," it's the same old me with a different name.

Maybe those who really do miss me will hit up GCLF and find me again. I wouldn't mind that. This isn't abou distancing myself from anyone who wants me in their lives, it's about fading away from those who want to be rid of me.

I have largely succeeded. On a certain forum my girlfriend helped run, I have not visited since September. I have not been within 20 feet of an IRC client in many months. The former "Knights who say Meh" and their followers are gone from me. It is refreshing, to say the least.

I don't intend the name change to indicate that I am a different person. I'm not.

Re: Why I changed my name

Posted by: Chaos
Date: 2009-11-18 00:51:11
Great. This makes my name change reason seem selfish…thanks a lot! J/K.

Posted by: Guy
Date: 2009-11-18 10:54:26
OK! I've been wondering why for a while, Adrian Malacoda! Kind of why I first changed from "Guy" as well actually (just got bored of Prof. Sherkel, and it made no real sense anyway).

Posted by: Naitekiakki
Date: 2009-11-18 15:49:09
[size=1]You'll always be Abby to me.<3 =P [/size]

Posted by: Missing? NO!
Date: 2009-11-18 17:30:15
Name changes are just name changes. We should all leave it be.

Posted by: Phrawger
Date: 2009-11-19 15:10:22
Gotta say that I'll still end up calling you Abb for the most part, but the turning over a new leaf thing seems like a more optimistic turn for you.

And it's fucking sweet.

Good on ya, I myself have been taking a hiatus from irc to focus on school and can't say I plan on returning any time soon.