Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

General Discussion

Huge rant over a picture on the internet. - Page 1

Huge rant over a picture on the internet.

Posted by: tachi
Date: 2013-11-20 14:19:52
Okay before you read the actual post, please regard that this is my opinion, and an opinion only. I know that a lot of our members are very active with the collection of anime/manga, and I mean no offense whatsoever. If you wish to debate my opinion, by all means go ahead, but please keep this civil, and again, I mean no disrespect.

Okay so a lot of people on the internet seems to agree on basically this:
[img]http://cdn.overclock.net/c/c5/600x496px-LL-c5a37b6a_Look2Bat2Bthis2Bguy.jpeg[/img]

However, I have to disagree with a part of that statement.
for one, the definition of hobby states that it is an activity that one does regularly for pleasure. By assumption, the activity taking place is buying anime, manga, and toys alike; in other words, collecting. But what exactly causes one to collect? Well this can be an option out of many different things. According to this article one might collect to preserve the past, for the quest to get the entire collection (which is usually never completed), a satisfaction from the experimentation. However, what sets hoarding apart from collecting? When collecting can be a problem, it is considered hoarding, and is usually set apart due to the psychology, or severity of the matter. When someone is depressed, or fears the lack of control, they are more likely to become hoarders than those who aren't.

Now let's look back at this picture, we see a happy man with a lot of manga, anime, toys, and is holding what i assume is a dvd for lucky star. But who's to say this man is really happy? As said in the article, the happiness a collector receives is from the acquirement of a new piece. Is the man smiling because he "lives the way he wants to" or is he temporarily excited because he has a new part to add to the colossal of dvds on his book shelf? My question is, is that happiness? To be cursed under the stress of having to find and purchase every part of the subject just to feel accomplished in life, not having complete satisfactory until the job is finally done. I don't believe a man can be perfectly happy, so he must pursuit it till the end, but a life bent on working to get every part of a collection, and constant sacrifice/trade offs, which is normally never achieved, is a better way to seek pleasure?

A picture says a thousand words, but are all the words truth? It states that he is able to finance, but yet what evidence in that photo made him/her to say that? In this case, we are all left to assume, but because of the possibilities, is saying that he isn't can never be correct? Isn't it possible that the man lives with others who support him and his needs and wants? Isn't it possible that the man has taken loans or borrowed money to appease his satisfaction of collecting? The answer is, only the people who are truly associated with the picture knows. Since we are all left to assume, nothing I say, and that caption, cannot prove what is really happening in that picture.

A quote I heard the other day said "when you assume, all you do is make an ass out of u and me."

Re: Huge rant over a picture on the internet.

Posted by: Zowayix
Date: 2013-11-21 01:28:35
Hi, my name's Zowayix, and I'm here to disagree with your opinion. (Perhaps I should move this topic to Debate Wars, but I'm not sure if you wanted this to actually be a debate or you just wanted to overreact to a picture on the internet.)

If he enjoys collecting anime things, then maybe he just enjoys collecting anime things. There's no need to ponder the philosophical implications of whether or not happiness truly exists or some psychological over-analysis if real tr00 kvlt happiness can only be obtained by one specific way and if you think you are happy for any other reason then you are only fooling yourself and you are wrong. This is just something that happens to give him something which matches the description of happiness, and that works for him and some other people in the world. Maybe it doesn't do that for you. Whatever.

You say you can't assume that the guy is able to finance his own collection, but by the same argument you also can't assume that he can't, so your statement is mostly meaningless. The possibility that he does seems a bit more likely to me than him being unemployed and still managing to shell out for anime figurines (which can get quite expensive).

Anyway, it's not the intended point of the picture. The point is to get people of the "lol anime fans are such losers lololol xd" mindset to reconsider their stance (and this isn't to imply you or necessarily anyone else who reads the picture are these kinds of people, just that there are these kinds of people out there), regardless of whether the specific person in the picture is a good example or not. Personally I don't think he is, because he's fat (which, unfortunate as it may be, reinforces a bunch of stereotypes).

Posted by: OwnageMuch
Date: 2013-11-21 03:33:48
^Thanks, Zowayix, for putting into words what I tried to but couldn't.

(aside: I failed English for the very reason that I struggle a lot to put thoughts into words)

Date: 2013-11-21 04:02:49

(aside: I failed English for the very reason that I struggle a lot to put thoughts into words)

So did I, actually. Or, if I remember more specifically, I was going to fail but the teacher took pity on me or something like that. And years later… I still don't think I really can put thoughts into words that well. And I haven't been in any situations where I really needed to. Just go with whatever's on your mind and forget everything you ever learned in school. Actually, the latter there is the real advice I would give to anyone. Especially if what you learned is "If you don't like high school, too bad! The adult world is a whole lot worse!"

Whoops, I guess I got sidetracked as usual. I suppose in a way (read: quite a bit of a stretch), it's somewhat related, because it's about how you can be an anime fan and still achieve what would be considered a successful life by most metrics, or at least to the extent that most other people do.

Date: 2013-11-21 04:56:14

So did I, actually. Or, if I remember more specifically, I was going to fail but the teacher took pity on me or something like that. And years later… I still don't think I really can put thoughts into words that well. And I haven't been in any situations where I really needed to. Just go with whatever's on your mind and forget everything you ever learned in school. Actually, the latter there is the real advice I would give to anyone. Especially if what you learned is "If you don't like high school, too bad! The adult world is a whole lot worse!"

Whoops, I guess I got sidetracked as usual. I suppose in a way (read: quite a bit of a stretch), it's somewhat related, because it's about how you can be an anime fan and still achieve what would be considered a successful life by most metrics, or at least to the extent that most other people do.

Well, I'm glad that there are other people out there.  Sadly, examiners here don't take pity on those that take the full 3 hours to figure out the words they want to say for one essay out of three.  Sure, I passed that one essay with the highest grade possible, but I didn't have time for the other two.  The school system is pretty bad anyway, but I don't know how I'd make it better other than making it start at an actual reasonable time.

Oh well.  I don't like to see myself as an adult yet since I'm still doing university and thus not working, and I sure as hell don't feel like one (although I doubt I ever will to be honest).  What I can say, however, is that being out of school is a great thing.  The world between school and adult has been good to me so far.

The only valuable things I learned in high school were elementary math and a fair amount of Japanese, I guess.  Memorising quotes from Macbeth is long since irrelevant.

Date: 2013-11-21 11:08:32

Hi, my name's Zowayix, and I'm here to disagree with your opinion. (Perhaps I should move this topic to Debate Wars, but I'm not sure if you wanted this to actually be a debate or you just wanted to overreact to a picture on the internet.)

If he enjoys collecting anime things, then maybe he just enjoys collecting anime things. There's no need to ponder the philosophical implications of whether or not happiness truly exists or some psychological over-analysis if real tr00 kvlt happiness can only be obtained by one specific way and if you think you are happy for any other reason then you are only fooling yourself and you are wrong. This is just something that happens to give him something which matches the description of happiness, and that works for him and some other people in the world. Maybe it doesn't do that for you. Whatever.

You say you can't assume that the guy is able to finance his own collection, but by the same argument you also can't assume that he can't, so your statement is mostly meaningless. The possibility that he does seems a bit more likely to me than him being unemployed and still managing to shell out for anime figurines (which can get quite expensive).

Anyway, it's not the intended point of the picture. The point is to get people of the "lol anime fans are such losers lololol xd" mindset to reconsider their stance (and this isn't to imply you or necessarily anyone else who reads the picture are these kinds of people, just that there are these kinds of people out there), regardless of whether the specific person in the picture is a good example or not. Personally I don't think he is, because he's fat (which, unfortunate as it may be, reinforces a bunch of stereotypes).

Again, as I've said

Okay before you read the actual post, please regard that this is my opinion, and an opinion only. I know that a lot of our members are very active with the collection of anime/manga, and I mean no offense whatsoever. If you wish to debate my opinion, by all means go ahead, but please keep this civil, and again, I mean no disrespect.

So if you feel you want to move this to debate, by all means go ahead.

First i'd like to say that I do know what the intent of the picture was, and I respect that intent completely. I mean, I'm part of the anime club here on campus, and I know it comes with its stereotypes. What bothers me though is the collection. I've witnessed behaviors that get more extreme than anime collecting, and thus I've seen the detrimental aspect of the behavior. Perhaps he's not at that extreme, but like you and I've said nobody can't prove he is or isn't. All we know is that he's smiling with lucky star in his hands.

The argument is how presumptions that caption is, and how many ways it could be wrong. So, we agreed that nobody can prove if its is true, so doesn't that mean we can agree that the caption might be off in more ways than one? Like i've said
However, I have to disagree with a part of that statement.

Not the entirety of the photo.

But this aside, I apologize if i've upset you, I understood it was a touchy subject and thinking a quick apology/warning was enough to satisfy. Don't get me wrong, you're a good dude, I just disapprove of some behaviors is all.

Blahpy, writing is only a skill, all you need is a bit of practice. It's like playing an instrument or getting good at a video game, you just gotta do it and keep doing it.

Date: 2013-11-21 13:14:02

Blahpy, writing is only a skill, all you need is a bit of practice. It's like playing an instrument or getting good at a video game, you just gotta do it and keep doing it.

Yeah, cause seventeen years sure wasn't enough huh?

Date: 2013-11-22 00:17:45

Yeah, cause seventeen years sure wasn't enough huh?

Sometimes people don't learn a skill as quick as others. Hell, I've played guitar for 3 years, but the only year i've really made any progression of it is 2 years ago when I first got my first guitar. I look at my old friends who started out around the same time as me and they are already performing in a local band, and have been touring outside of their state.
Does it mean that I suck at guitar, and will never get to that level? Nah, I just learn at my own pace.

Same thing applies to any skill.

Date: 2013-11-22 01:21:56

Again, as I've said

So if you feel you want to move this to debate, by all means go ahead.

I don't care either way, as long as it's in the forum for which it was intended. That's why I was asking you if you wanted it to be a debate or not.

First i'd like to say that I do know what the intent of the picture was, and I respect that intent completely. I mean, I'm part of the anime club here on campus, and I know it comes with its stereotypes. What bothers me though is the collection. I've witnessed behaviors that get more extreme than anime collecting, and thus I've seen the detrimental aspect of the behavior. Perhaps he's not at that extreme, but like you and I've said nobody can't prove he is or isn't. All we know is that he's smiling with lucky star in his hands.

So what was the point you were trying to make with this? I'm actually unsure.

But this aside, I apologize if i've upset you, I understood it was a touchy subject and thinking a quick apology/warning was enough to satisfy. Don't get me wrong, you're a good dude, I just disapprove of some behaviors is all.

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/1jeh294.png[/img]

Date: 2013-11-22 01:43:49

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/1jeh294.png[/img]

[img]http://chocolatesyrupywaffles.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/Kuroko-Head-Desk1.gif[/img]