Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

General Discussion

The Republic of Null Island - Page 1

The Republic of Null Island

Posted by: Abwayax
Date: 2014-04-19 07:25:04
Null Island - the point at 0,0 on the world map. It does not exist in the real world, it is a placeholder for "flagging geocode failures" as the quoted release notes from Natural Earth explain:

WARNING: A troubleshooting country has been added with an Indeterminate sovereignty class called Null Island. It is a fictional, 1 meter square island located off Africa where the equator and prime meridian cross. Being centered at 0,0 (zero latitude, zero longitude) it is useful for flagging geocode failures which are routed to 0,0 by most mapping services. Aside: Null Islands exist for all local coordinate reference systems besides WGS84 like State Plane (and global if not using modern Greenwich prime meridian). Null Island in Natural Earth is scaleRank 100, indicating it should never be shown in mapping.

In other words, it's like MissingNo. for a map.

Re: The Republic of Null Island

Posted by: Zowayix
Date: 2014-04-19 15:15:36
Brilliant and not the stupidest thing I ever came up with at 6:14am idea: What if we crowdfund a project to actually build an island there, just to screw with people using it for meta purposes? And then we can build some sort of office building there which becomes the official headquarters of GCLF, or something. I don't know how international politics works in relation to making an island, so I'm not sure if we can enjoy ourselves more by creating our own country and things like that.

Re: The Republic of Null Island

Posted by: OwnageMuch
Date: 2014-04-20 00:51:49

Brilliant and not the stupidest thing I ever came up with at 6:14am idea: What if we crowdfund a project to actually build an island there, just to screw with people using it for meta purposes? And then we can build some sort of office building there which becomes the official headquarters of GCLF, or something. I don't know how international politics works in relation to making an island, so I'm not sure if we can enjoy ourselves more by creating our own country and things like that.

Ahahahah this would be brilliant!  Of course, we'd have to make it exactly 1 metre wide and long, precisely a square.