Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

General Discussion

Jedi knights...The religion. - Page 1

Jedi knights...The religion.

Posted by: Newo
Date: 2006-11-16 17:34:17
A pair of…Uh-hum, "Jedi knights" have written to the UN to make Jedi a religion. Um, my view is insanity.

Two self-styled Jedi Knights are stepping up an intergalactic campaign for formal recognition. Umada and Yunyun, also known as John Wilkinson and Charlotte Law, want the UN to acknowledge "The Force" is worthy of being called a religion. The couple claim to be part of the UK's fourth largest religious group, after 400,000 people recorded their faith as "Jedi" in the 2001 Census.

They say that as a religion, they deserve tolerance and respect. November the 16th is the annual International

Day for Tolerance.

And as part of a global battle worthy of Luke Skywalker's efforts against the Empire, the band of self-styled Jedis want the UN to re-name the day as Interstellar Day of Tolerance.

More people claim their religion to be Jedi in England and Wales than those who follow Sikhism, Judaism and Buddhism. And the cause has global support.

There are also 70,000 Jedi knights in Australia, 53,000 in New Zealand, and 20,000 in Canada.

This is Umada and Yunyun's letter to the UN Association:

To whom it may concern,

For the last ten years the United Nations has marked today as the International Day of Tolerance.

While we support this important work, we feel the UN needs to move with the times.

In the 2001 UK census, 390,000 people identified themselves as Jedi Knights, making us the fourth largest religion in the country.

We have a proud heritage dating back 195,000 years to our first Jedi, the blue haired, blue eyed Kaja Sinis, who was born on Coruscant.

Like the United Nations, the Jedi Knights are peacekeepers, and we feel we have the basic right to express our religion through wearing our robes, and to be recognised by the national and international community.

We therefore call upon you to change the 16th November to the United Nations Interstellar Day of Tolerance, to reflect the religious make-up of our twenty-first century civilization.

Tolerance is about respecting difference where ever it lies, including other galaxies. Please don't exclude us from your important work.

May the Force be with you

What on earth is the meaning of Religion these days.

Re: Jedi knights...The religion.

Posted by: hoggins
Date: 2006-11-16 18:10:58
Holy $%!+, that is completely psychotic!
Religeon is just getting worse & worse nowadays :-\

Posted by: PokemonPichu
Date: 2006-11-16 20:28:47

Holy $%!+, that is completely psychotic!
Religeon is just getting worse & worse nowadays :-\

Yeah. People are ruining the religious un-craziness…

http://xenu.net/archive/leaflet/xenuleaf.htm Tell me if you think that's crazy.

Posted by: ACE91
Date: 2006-11-16 21:08:47
Crazy, but not so crazy if you think about this: The ancient Greeks' entire religion (you know, they had gods like Zeus, Hermes, etc.) was based off of the gods in the blind poet Homer's works, the Iliad and the Odyssey. I learned about that in history class. Hard to believe that an entire culture based its religion off of the gods in a fictional epic for hundreds of years…

But still, Jedi? That's insane. You'd have to be really gullible to take a concept from an obviously fictious movie and sincerely believe it like that…

Posted by: Abwayax
Date: 2006-11-16 22:19:52
Actually Ace, Homer's epic was based off the gods in Greek mythology, not the other way around. That's like saying Christianity is based off characters from "The Passion of the Christ".

Also, not to sound insulting to all you religious folk, but a book, even one with 2000 pages, can be even more laughable than a movie. Especially when you have people living over 1000 years and people moving entire seas and stuff like that. :/

Date: 2006-11-16 22:31:24

Actually Ace, Homer's epic was based off the gods in Greek mythology, not the other way around. That's like saying Christianity is based off characters from "The Passion of the Christ".
Er…. my history books say that it was Homer's epic that started it. *consults Wikipedia* Wikipedia's article on Greek mythology is of little help; it only says that Homer's epics are the earliest works of literature containing Greek mythology. So I guess no one really knows. :\

Also, not to sound insulting to all you religious folk, but a book, even one with 2000 pages, can be even more laughable than a movie. Especially when you have people living over 1000 years and people moving entire seas and stuff like that. :/
There's a difference. What seems so laughable about the "Jedi" thing is that it was based off of a movie that was intended to be purely fictional. The Bible is a record of history (whether you believe some of the history or not) rather than a story or an epic. Not only that, but it is historically accurate in many ways, particularly concerning ancient cultures. For example: a civilization known as the "Hittites" is mentioned many times in the Bible. Up until the late 19th century, no artifacts related to the Hittites had ever been found, and people thought it strange that the Bible mentioned a civilization that supposedly never existed–those who didn't believe the Bible sometimes used that as an argument against it. Then, in the late 19th century, tons of artifacts from the Hittite civilization were unearthed in the Middle East. You can see Wikipedia's article for more information. I have more interesting proofs of Biblical accuracy, but this thread isn't the place for them.

Date: 2006-11-16 22:49:13
Oh, I'm sure the Bible is historically accurate in many places, seeing as how it actually was written way back when. It also tells us that the world was created in six days and that people lived to be 900 years old once.

If the Jedis want to be a religion, let them. No one stopped the Scientologists.

Date: 2006-11-16 23:01:20
\It also tells us that the world was created in six days and that people lived to be 900 years old once.
And atheism tells us that the universe as we see it today came about purely by random chaos and cause-and-effect (which, without a Creator to start it, there could have been no cause to create the effect), and that all the complexity of the human mind and our self-awareness and ability to ponder our own existence came about solely by coincidence, and that all of the life in the world came from a single-celled organism which changed through billions of generations into all of the life on earth today (even though "transitional forms" and "missing links" are rarely, if ever, found in the fossil record, and even Darwin himself said that they would have to be everywhere if evolution were true), and that life has no purpose, no meaning, and no hope. Sound equally ridiculous to you?

No one knows how the world really began; no one can know. It's ultimately a matter of faith, no matter how scientific you get about it.

Date: 2006-11-17 02:33:14
The way you put it, it does sound ridiculous. Nonetheless, there is a fossil record, and there's evidence the earth has existed for more than 3000 years. :/

But then, if we wanted another religious debate, we could simply move this into the debate board. ;)

PS: I don't believe life has "no purpose"/"meaning"/"hope". I simply don't see why I should worship a guy who died 2000 years ago. And if I end up being damned to hell, then I suppose I deserve it

PPS: If everything needs to be started by a creator, then where did God come from? Was he simply "there"? If you can state he was, why can't I state that the Big Bang simply "happened"? If god doesn't need a cause to appear, why should the universe?

Two choices. One, we can continue to debate about creationism and evolution and whatever, or we can make fun of the people who want to make a religion based off of a science-fiction movie trilogy. Either or.

Date: 2006-11-17 09:09:47

The way you put it, it does sound ridiculous. Nonetheless, there is a fossil record, and there's evidence the earth has existed for more than 3000 years. :/

But then, if we wanted another religious debate, we could simply move this into the debate board. ;)

PS: I don't believe life has "no purpose"/"meaning"/"hope". I simply don't see why I should worship a guy who died 2000 years ago. And if I end up being damned to hell, then I suppose I deserve it

PPS: If everything needs to be started by a creator, then where did God come from? Was he simply "there"? If you can state he was, why can't I state that the Big Bang simply "happened"? If god doesn't need a cause to appear, why should the universe?

Two choices. One, we can continue to debate about creationism and evolution and whatever, or we can make fun of the people who want to make a religion based off of a science-fiction movie trilogy. Either or.
Yeah, we should probably stop the debate before it gets worse. :\ It's obvious that neither of us will change our opinions, so there's little point to debating–not to mention this thread isn't the place for it. I just can't resist the urge to debate this stuff sometimes…

Posted by: Newo
Date: 2006-11-17 12:23:54
Well you could start a debate in the debate thread. I'll start it….It would be interesting.

Posted by: PokemonPichu
Date: 2006-11-17 19:44:55
Locked thread. There's not really a lot of point in moving it to Debate Wars because of Newo's thread, which is generally about religions. But of course if anyone else thinks otherwise it's all right.

Posted by: xparasite9
Date: 2006-12-29 14:49:02
Might I direct you to the Nicene Creed? "begotten, not made"