Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

General Discussion

Article 13 - Page 1

Article 13

Posted by: Couldntthinkofaname
Date: 2018-09-12 07:39:33
It passed.

Article 13 essentially defines that all content that is uploaded to the internet in the EU must now pass through a "Great Filter", which can detect copyright information and censor it from the internet. The terms of Article 13 are somewhat loose, but it's the general consensus that even basic use of copyrighted material is now subject to this filter, including Commentary and Parody (should this be the case, memes will almost certainly be impacted).

Giving the EU this much power over the internet is risky buisness, and it's pretty clear that they will eventually use this filter for other internet material, including speech.

Discuss.

Re: Article 13

Posted by: RETIRE
Date: 2018-09-12 10:40:59
horrific news :/ can't believe it actually passed

Posted by: Sherkel
Date: 2018-09-12 12:58:47
Considering I don't follow/understand these things as well as maybe I should, is this likely to lead to loopholes or is the Internet in the EU "truly screwed", so to speak?

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2018-09-12 14:44:00

Considering I don't follow/understand these things as well as maybe I should, is this likely to lead to loopholes or is the Internet in the EU "truly screwed", so to speak?

You're not alone, I haven't followed or studied this well either.

I'm worried how this may affect wikis based in Europe, personally. I've also never understood how these things work internationally; could American based wikis such as ours be at risk too?

Countless YouTube channels/communities including my own may also be at risk, which also concerns me. Realistically it seems like it would take forever for the state(s) to get rid of all content without resorting to automation, (still I think, how would they identify whether something is a copyrighted work) which could lead to false positives.

Worst case scenario, if our wiki/my YouTube channel has to pay I'm prepared to pay royalties to Nintendo, but prohibiting what would have normally been fair use (note: which doesn't actually exist here in the UK, we have 'fair dealing' which doesn't provide as much freedom technically on cases we can't use intellectual property anyway) seems like a really bad idea. Not only it seems memes would go away (which generally use only a portion of the copyrighted work), but say you wanted to watch a video on how to beat a level in a game, or research something that couldn't be conveyed without a small (or 'fair use') amount of the copyrighted work it seems like you couldn't. Note though there is also something in the directive which says text/data-mining class as exceptions.

Another interesting thing, Japanese Wikipedia doesn't use copyrighted images a lot. English Wikipedia has always used low resolution images (decided as below 400 pixels or so) under fair use, however.

Posted by: RETIRE
Date: 2018-09-12 16:20:38
What I'm mainly afraid of is that it seems like they're forcing Free Speech to be filtered, masked by this entire 'copyright' stuff.
At least this is one of the possible intentions behind article 13.

Posted by: ISSOtm
Date: 2018-09-12 16:43:05
Well, Article 13 means installing a wide filtering system (it's not directly implied, but it's basically the only viable option); it of course has to be automated, and YouTube has already proven how efficient this was :D
The motivation seems to be simply to content right holders (eg. commercial ROM hosting is now basically impossible), at least that's how I see it.

The other frightening thing is that if such filtering gets put in place, it gets VERY easy to
1. tweak it to filter other things (goodbye free speech)
2. leak info (if it has to be archived, then it can be leaked

So this is a huge downer. Yup.
<dont_wanna_live_on_this_planet_anymore.tiff has been blocked for containing copyrighted content.>

Posted by: Bert
Date: 2018-09-12 16:45:44
OI M8 YOU BETTER (RECYCLE) BIN THAT MEME.

Posted by: Couldntthinkofaname
Date: 2018-09-12 17:59:53
Here's another significant reason for concern: How many companies are going to sit back and take it, v.s how many companies are going to completely disable/restrict their services to the EU?

Also, need I remind the crowd this will almost certainly put a HUGE slant on the Small Business vs. Big Corporation market.

What I'm mainly afraid of is that it seems like they're forcing Free Speech to be filtered, masked by this entire 'copyright' stuff.
At least this is one of the possible intentions behind article 13.

The EU has made their intentions very clear in regards to free speech. Don't expect this filter to remain "only for copyrighted content" for very long.