Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

General Discussion

What book are you reading? - Page 1

What book are you reading?

Posted by: Pokedude
Date: 2019-06-28 21:59:47
You know, most people think gamers are people in their 20's who live in their parents basement drinking Mountain with anger issues. What most people don't know is that most gamers are actually well read individuals. Also most of us gamers have switched to Diet Mountain Dew like adults! (Kudos to anyone who gets that reference.)

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep
by Phillip. K. Dick
The inspiration for the hit movie Blade Runner, I felt this was quite a good read! I will say some of the more adult content was rather unneeded, even as it somewhat served it's purpose for character development. I would recommend this book to anyone looking for a good summer sci-fi read.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Re: What book are you reading?

Posted by: Bert
Date: 2019-06-28 23:24:45
The Executioner #117: Vendetta in Venice, ghostwritten by Peter Leslie. I don't have much of an opinion on it yet since I just started it, but a bad guy used a Colt Cobra revolver so that was cool I guess. My previous read was The Executioner #33: Wednesday's Wrath, which was okay, nothing special.

You know, most people think gamers are people in their 20's who live in their parents basement drinking Mountain with anger issues. What most people don't know is that most gamers are actually well read individuals. Also most of us gamers have switched to Diet Mountain Dew like adults! (Kudos to anyone who gets that reference.)

Gamers are also the most oppressed people on the planet. I'm a gamer myself and am constantly under attack by Gamergate, Encyclopedia Dramatica, Kiwi Farms, the hacker known as 4chan, my bill collectors and John Madden. Also that bit*h Veronica won't fuck me even though I'm such a nice guy. Gamers, rise up!

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2019-06-29 04:32:47

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep
by Phillip. K. Dick
The inspiration for the hit movie Blade Runner, I felt this was quite a good read! I will say some of the more adult content was rather unneeded, even as it somewhat served it's purpose for character development. I would recommend this book to anyone looking for a good summer sci-fi read.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

I agree and relate there! Additionally many video games have interesting dialogue/lore in the gameplay too. Glad you liked the book.

Date: 2019-07-17 23:49:36
I finished Goldfinger by Ian Fleming earlier this evening. It's a real, real slow burn and oh my god that golf game would cure anyone's insomnia. The second half was much better and overall I enjoyed the book.

Posted by: QueenEugiOfGlitches
Date: 2019-07-18 14:19:43
Philip Dick books are amazing! I'm currently reading the Neuromancer Trilogy by Gibson. :D

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2020-03-05 12:17:08
Aesop's Fables and Andersen's Fairy Tales

Date: 2020-03-11 17:58:38
Haven't started it yet, but I finally got The Executioner #1: War Against the Mafia, as well as some books in Edgar Rice Burroughs' Pellucidar series.

Posted by: garry542
Date: 2020-06-12 13:13:03
After watching the popular Netflix series You, I decided to read a few of the books mentioned. I started reading Crime and Punishment by the Russian author Fyodor Dostoevsky. To be completely honest, I expected it to be extremely boring when I first started reading. After reading a few chapters, I was hooked. I learned how interesting the book really was and why so many people reccomended it. Crime and Punishment discusses the moral dilemmas the main character faces before he kills a pawnbroker for her money, as well as the guilt and fear he has to deal with after killing her. He has to fight his internal feelings of horror as well as societal pressures. The book is a deep analysis of society and our class system. Crime and Punishment was written to highlight the desperate measures people are forced to take due to poverty. I would definitely recommend Crime and Punishment to anyone interested in learning about moral judgment and the human condition.

Posted by: Pokedude
Date: 2020-07-14 10:14:44
I just started reading a book called Midnight at the Well of Souls by Jack L. Chalker. Halfway through and I'm impressed with the meld of sci-fi and fantasy Chalker presents to his readers. I would recommend this to anyone looking for a good sci-fi read. It's also the first in a seven book series called The Well World Saga. Sadly these books have fallen under the radar for most.