Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

General Discussion

It was nice to see you all again - Page 1

It was nice to see you all again

Posted by: Sherkel
Date: 2020-02-02 06:54:06
You know what they say: it's better to burn out than to fade away! It seems like my time has come to choose, so it's only common decency to give a few words to a site and community that's been as important to me as this one, and in my life for more than half of it at that!

While leaving may seem over the top, there's only so much pressure I can take, and whatever desire I have remaining to continue updating and maintaining the site is outweighed by the heavy realization my involvement isn't as valued as I had thought it was. I'm not one for permanent declarations of anything, so it's more likely than not that I will still appear again. I just know I need some time away.

As the only admin both interested in the subject material and active on Discord, I would not have forgiven myself if despite my standing, I was still too afraid to speak up. I'm relieved that I overcame that hesitation, especially seeing as it paved the way to discovering what the community truly thought of me being here. It's certainly not the first time this has happened, so thank all of you for being honest and not prolonging this unnecessarily for me!

This site was the first I ever became a significant part of and the first I moderated, and as time went on I realized more and more how much my early time here shaped my views of how to communicate on the Internet, as well as how moderation and leadership of small groups in general ought to be conducted. This was a driving force behind my latest phase of activity, and while the results of providing new users a helping hand and bringing the knowledge base up to speed have been mixed, I'm glad to have done what I have and also to have a clear indication of when to stop.

Having done everything I could think of for this community in the two years since I returned, it's with a clear head that I can finally step away, knowing now that this is another way I can help.

Thank you!

Re: It was nice to see you all again

Posted by: Parzival
Date: 2020-02-02 10:21:59

You know what they say: it's better to burn out than to fade away! It seems like my time has come to choose, so it's only common decency to give a few words to a site and community that's been as important to me as this one, and in my life for more than half of it at that!

While leaving may seem over the top, there's only so much pressure I can take, and whatever desire I have remaining to continue updating and maintaining the site is outweighed by the heavy realization my involvement isn't as valued as I had thought it was. I'm not one for permanent declarations of anything, so it's more likely than not that I will still appear again. I just know I need some time away.

As the only admin both interested in the subject material and active on Discord, I would not have forgiven myself if despite my standing, I was still too afraid to speak up. I'm relieved that I overcame that hesitation, especially seeing as it paved the way to discovering what the community truly thought of me being here. It's certainly not the first time this has happened, so thank all of you for being honest and not prolonging this unnecessarily for me!

This site was the first I ever became a significant part of and the first I moderated, and as time went on I realized more and more how much my early time here shaped my views of how to communicate on the Internet, as well as how moderation and leadership of small groups in general ought to be conducted. This was a driving force behind my latest phase of activity, and while the results of providing new users a helping hand and bringing the knowledge base up to speed have been mixed, I'm glad to have done what I have and also to have a clear indication of when to stop.

Having done everything I could think of for this community in the two years since I returned, it's with a clear head that I can finally step away, knowing now that this is another way I can help.

Thank you!
Is there something I missed or are we just hemorrhaging members?

Posted by: Raven Freak
Date: 2020-02-02 11:17:49
Thank you for your help here on GCL throughout the years. You were both a great Moderator and Admin. Sometimes it's better to step away for a bit. If you ever do return, I'm sure the discord and site will still be online.

Posted by: tachi
Date: 2020-02-02 11:27:07

Is there something I missed or are we just hemorrhaging members?

something happened in the discord, it's not my place to say however.

Posted by: OwnageMuch
Date: 2020-02-03 22:23:10
First Maralis and now you. How utterly disappointing.

Posted by: Abwayax
Date: 2020-02-03 22:23:42
Hello all. I would like to make the official statement regarding the recent events that have happened.

Sherkel has been banned for making pro-pedophilia statements in our Discord and elsewhere, and for being part of a pedophile advocate community. Please note that we appreciate the very helpful contributions he has made, and that this ban is not motivated by personal issues. However, as our community by its nature attracts minors, we wish to make them feel as safe and comfortable as possible, and we hold that pedophiles and pedophile-advocates do not make our community safe for minors.

This is our last word on the subject, and thus I am closing this thread.