Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

General Discussion

GCL APPRECIATION THREAD - Page 1

GCL APPRECIATION THREAD

Posted by: Missing? NO!
Date: 2020-02-07 18:53:22
Alright so it's not really any secret that we've had a rough go of it here as of late, so I figured it'd be a good idea to put together a little positivity thread so we can get some shred of positivity back in here after all the recent staff and member resignations. I'll start us off, but feel free to post a reply and say why you're grateful for GCL, this forum, its community, the Discord, or anything else Pokemon-glitch related!

GCL has singlehandedly shaped me into the person I am today. I discovered this forum when I was 9 years old, and have been posting consistently ever since. Yes, there's been some absences where I've disappeared for a few months or so, but I almost always end up coming back and checking in with a community that literally shaped my internet presence.

This forum has allowed me to develop my skills as a communicator on the internet, and there's been a ton of growth. I can't tell you how grateful I am for the staff back in 2007 for not banning the most annoying 9 year old on the internet, ever, and allowing him to grow into the staff member I am today. This forum has taught me responsibility with my staff privileges, how to communicate with people from all across the world, how to be part of a community that's bigger than just yourself, and how to (almost most-importantly) shut up and listen for once. I was really bad at that early on in my time here, but this site showed me where I was going wrong and taught me how to listen. I'm very, very grateful.

The other thing GCL introduced me to was the world of Pokemon glitching and reverse-engineering. This forum shaped my interest in computer programming, game design, and reverse engineering/hacking that I delved into in my high school years and have been interested in ever since. Without this community here, I would not be as interested in technology and how it works–those are interests that shaped both my educational career and my actual career, and it's all because of Glitch City Labs that that interest sparked in the first place. This place has truly shaped me, and I couldn't be more thankful that it exists.

To the staff, thank you. I couldn't be more grateful for your patience with me throughout the years. You all have been an incredibly mature, knowledgeable, and friendly resource for me to go to when I needed to learn something or I had a question. You've also been a great team to work with while I've been here–I've helped deal with a lot of issues while I've been here, and I'm thankful to have been a part of the team for all of it. It's weird, but I've kind of grown up with all of you, in a way. I started as a Local Moderator when I was 11, and I'm 22 now. I've been a staff member on this website for over half my life. Through all the ups and downs, I've kept my rank, stayed as a (hopefully) valuable member of the team, and done my part to make this place what it is today. Thank you for the opportunity and guidance throughout the years.

This sounds like a resignation thread, but it isn't! I'm not going anywhere! I just want to tell you all thank you for being you, that I appreciate this website and owe a lot of my personal development to its community, and that I'm excited for what the future has in store for us all. I'M NOT GOING ANYWHERE!!!!

Re: GCL APPRECIATION THREAD

Posted by: Raven Freak
Date: 2020-02-07 19:07:17
GCL was the very first forum I ever joined way back in 2006. My forum etiquette wouldn't be what it is now without this place, because if you were around in late December 2006/early 2007 then you probably interacted with my first account on here, and I was a complete cringy noob. This was the very first community that I ever interacted with, and I was amazed to find such a place that talked about my favorite things about Generation 1. When I did have internet for that brief moment in time as a teenager, I would eagerly log on to the forums to see what everyone was talking about. I remember the say box being broken and constantly saying "You've been banned", and how many people were reporting the issue. xD I remember when each glitch Pokemon had their own place to post comments on, and I remember posting a very cringy comment on Female Symbol's page as a joke. x_x I remember when the site looked like this and it brings back so much nostalgia.
[img]https://i.ibb.co/6g3grtK/gcl-throwback.png[/img]

I know the recent events have been depressing, and shocking (for me at least) but I'm glad the community is still running to this day and I'm glad I'm still part of it, even if I made multiple accounts throughout the years. :V Forgive me for doing that, I don't know how many times I've apologized for my stupidity in the past. :V

Posted by: Bert
Date: 2020-02-07 19:32:58
In July I'll have been here for 8 years and even though I do nothing but shitpost you guys have let me stay and for that I thank you.

Here's to many (hopefully) more years of nonsense.

Posted by: CytricAcid
Date: 2020-02-08 01:02:32
I've lurked this place for many years, over a decade i think at this point (gotta check my old account…) but i always really liked this place, and it finally helped me decide what i want to study in college after a failed attempt at trying to major in "video game design". (protip, dont.)

i love how this community has broken down a classic video game to its bits and bytes and we're still finding more bugs and secrets in it. it's kind of a kid's first introduction to computer programming and security.

i dont think anyone knows me as well as you do each other but i've watched this forum grow and discover ACE and the background to glitches such as the coin case glitch and my personal favorite, ZZAZZ, and it makes me happy to see.

this is a turning point in GCLF, but i don't believe it the end at all.

Posted by: Zowayix
Date: 2020-02-14 21:49:38
Yeah nah mate it's a bit alright hey

Posted by: sunriseespeon
Date: 2020-02-23 04:26:55
I just lurk here but it's fun to read gg