Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

General Discussion

Thread for Old Heads - Page 1

Thread for Old Heads

Posted by: Missing? NO!
Date: 2020-06-26 00:06:38
I'm feeling reflective. Let's use this thread to talk about how our lives have changed (in general) since we joined GCL.

I've been here for about 13 years now. I first started visiting when you were able to adopt a Glitch Pokemon on the front page, and then I joined this site when I was 9 (god we're not even gonna talk about the posts… or my grammar, lol). I was in third grade when I joined, had no idea how to use a forum or even what Pokemon glitching even was, and, for some reason, found myself coming to this site every day. I remember learning about how you could fly off the coast of Cinnabar Island to find MissingNo., and then promptly telling my friends at elementary school about it in class. People thought I was crazy.

As the years passed, I found myself become more interested in programming, reverse-engineering, and hacking/glitching because of this site. I remember the summer of 2007, where I'd come on here once every hour, respond to every possible thread, and then go outside. At some point I became a Local Mod and chose, out of all things, to moderate the Introductions board. Not my smartest move. I never really understood glitching as much as I should have (though I'm sure I could learn), but the community kept me coming back.

Now I'm sitting here 13 years later. In those 13 years, I graduated college, high school, middle school, AND elementary school. I got my first job at the age of 16, and now have my first full-time job at the age of 23. I moved from living in my parents' house to living in my own place. I started off playing the GameCube when I first got here–now I'm playing a Switch. During the time I've been on this site, five Pokemon generations were released. I've even had the chance to meet one of our members who happened to live closeby. There's no real point to this post, but I'm just reflecting on the fact that I have literally grown up here. Out of every website I've ever been on (YouTube included), there's none I've visited for longer than GC, and that's nuts.

I'm sure not everyone will have the same lengthy story as I will, but I'm still curious to hear your stories. How has your life changed from when you joined GCL until now? How many years has it been–how has your life evolved? We only interact through the medium of forums and Discord, so it's easy to forget that, beyond all this, we all have lives of our own. It's likely been a while for a lot of you–I'm interested to hear your stories.

Re: Thread for Old Heads

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2020-06-28 18:17:29
Nice thread. :)

Hmm, I joined the GCL forums in 2006 as Torchickens. Originally my grammar wasn't very good/my writing style was different. I was also quite young. I wasn't quite enough an oldbie to have been around since the Professor Glitch forums and the even earlier sites (except as the temporary forum) and its predecessors, though.

Learning about the glitches here eventually lead to an overall interest in Pokémon glitches, unused content and lead to my YouTube channel ChickasaurusGL (originally it was one of two channels; the other was a now abandoned channel on Runescape called ChickasaurusRS), and before that Chickasaurus which I closed. I met a lot of the users on GCL still active now, and others that left. I hardly knew much at all about glitching originally.

I also liked posting in some other non-glitch related boards, and until I started identifying as a trans woman, I identified as male (also in my old YouTube channel content). I made a few tiny edits to another wiki I think Abwayax hosted called Infinitypedia for fan created universes, but nothing much.

When Glitch City became a wiki I enjoyed editing it, but when Glitch City Laboratories went down for a long time eventually the old forum was reopened. I became a staff member on GCLF and eventually an admin until I demoted myself. I got this wiki affiliated with the sites on the sidebar.

I wasn't the sort to use IRC/wasn't savvy with it, so most of my time here was just on the forums. Eventually GCL got its Discord, which I check but still get shy and don't post on very often. When TCRF got popular I started checking/adding a few things to the Pokémon articles, and on that note I remember Skeetendo and the disassembly projects when they were a lot newer; anything there was too complex for me and although they're less so now I'm still not very good at programming/hacking.

Answering your questions: If it wasn't for Glitch City I actually may have stopped playing/abandoned the Pokémon series after Diamond/Pearl, though a friend was into it at school. I left school and got a degree at university and do volunteer work, still play games, contribute to projects (usually YouTube and wikis) time to time. I also studied some Japanese evening classes for several years but don't retain much, and tried a TEFL course. I'm quite shy though, otherwise ambiverted (only talkative at certain times), so I'm unsure in the context of how GCLF changed my life, but it's given a lot of meaning with the endless amounts of things to do with glitches in free time.

It was 2006 when I joined, so it's been about 14 years since I joined. I have my own place now, and live alone other than to visit family. I have a lot more games now (too many), and in 2010 got into a series called Densetsu no Stafy to study a series other than Pokémon and edit a wiki about it, and about that same time I got into reading about other Nintendo games.