Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

General Discussion

And so it ends - Page 1

And so it ends

Posted by: Missing? NO!
Date: 2020-07-28 18:16:45
When I first joined GCL in 2007, I had absolutely no idea that I'd still be around a whole 13 years later. Who knew that site that I joined when I was 9 years old could have such a profound impact on my adult life and career. I've been on a lot of websites in my day, but this is, by far, the one that raised me.

To the admins and site staff, I want to say thank you. Thank you for believing in me at 11 years old and allowing me to get my feet wet as a Local Moderator, and later full-fledged Staff member. Your belief and trust in a young, admittedly-dumb kid led me to find my passion for community organization, management, and leadership. I couldn't be happier to help this site grow over past 13 years.

To the community, thank you for being welcoming, patient, kind, and genuinely fun to participate in. There was a point sometime in the 2010s where I distanced myself from GCL for a while. I didn't show up for a nearly a year, and showed up sporadically ever since. However, during my breaks from the site, there were always points where it would slowly creep back into my head. I remember being on a family vacation, sitting on the couch, deep into a break from GCL, wondering "Hm. I wonder what the folks at GCL are up to today?" Now, I find myself fully-employed at a tech company, checking this place regularly for the first time in years.

There have been plenty of members that I've seen come and go, but every interaction has been pleasant and reinforced my commitment to this community. I remember requesting PT for an insane sprite of all 493 Gen IV Pokemon combined… and he actually did it. I remember playing FiveX in Smash Bros. Brawl a bit after its release (fun fact, that was my first ever match of "competitive" Smash… I swept him). I remember being blown away when I realized another member of this site, Bassmasta, lived in the same town as me. I was even more blown away when we found each other in the same class. At its peak, the reach GCL had was absolutely insane.

There's many other memories I could list. So… why not list some?

It's weird to picture the internet without this place that I've called my home for so long, but I know that I'll always carry a piece of this place with me no matter how much time passes. This place singlehandedly formed my interest in computers, programming, hacking, reverse engineering, and management. It made me curious about how things, specifically technology, work. While the site itself was a great resource of Pokemon glitch knowledge, specifically for older games, it also was a great place for me to learn, grow, and explore my interests in technology. It shaped who I am today. I've never been someone who's been that deep into the Pokemon glitching scene–it's a testament to this community that I've stuck around as long as I have.

I won't be continuing on to whatever glitch research site emerges from the shadows of GCL. My interests have always been in this site, this community, and the memories I've made as a member of Glitch City Labs–glitching has always been a secondary interest of mine that I don't mind stepping away from now that the site is closing. I will, however, miss the community, miss the friends I've made here, and miss the literal decade of memories I've made here as a member of this site.

Thank you all for everything you've done for me. I wouldn't be who I am today without the presence of this site in my life. Abwayax, Photon, and the rest of the Admin staff–you've done a great job with this site and are the reason why it's been so successful. You deserve a long, long rest. It's been a privilege to work alongside you.

For the final time; thank you, good luck, and Long Live the Hooked Metapod.

~ Missing? NO!

Re: And so it ends

Posted by: SCared_Fir3
Date: 2020-07-28 19:25:43
this hit me in the feels dude :(

Re: And so it ends

Posted by: Sarial
Date: 2020-07-31 21:58:40
Really gonna miss the old community, because it was one of the first in my comeback in late 2007/early 2008 after a rough time in my life… (also dang, have I really not posted in several years?)

See you on the flip side,
Danielle/Schala/Danika/whatever