Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Programming/Scripting/Development/Web Design

Emulators and Python - Page 1

Emulators and Python

Posted by: Yeniaul
Date: 2015-12-11 19:53:12
Anyone know of an emulator that supports something like "directly manipulating RAM through Python"? That'd be really cool to put into an app I'm working on (controlling RetroArch for PC from Android, but no editing support, basically, TeamViewer for emulation)…

Re: Emulators and Python

Posted by: Kraust
Date: 2015-12-12 19:29:15
Are you looking for some kind of API that hooks into an Emulator and does memory manipulation?

That's not exceedingly difficult in theory. Can't speed runners already do this with inputs? It's virtually the same mechanism.

That being said, I'm not developing it. I tried to make a Gameboy Emulator once and I had some issues emulating the GPU. That being said my Chip8 emulator is hilarious.

Date: 2015-12-12 22:43:54

Are you looking for some kind of API that hooks into an Emulator and does memory manipulation?

That's not exceedingly difficult in theory. Can't speed runners already do this with inputs? It's virtually the same mechanism.

That being said, I'm not developing it. I tried to make a Gameboy Emulator once and I had some issues emulating the GPU. That being said my Chip8 emulator is hilarious.

Well, more of an emulator that supports this without plugins, as that would triple frame rate drop… (Unless it was smaller than 768 bytes, that is, but that's completely impossible.)

Posted by: Raven Freak
Date: 2016-02-01 15:33:20
TASVideos has a list of emulators that are compatible with python scripts. Not sure how helpful this list is but I guess this does give you some idea on what emulators support scripts. http://tasvideos.org/EmulatorResources/Features.html#20

Date: 2016-02-01 16:51:00
TY!