Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Programming/Scripting/Development/Web Design

[Utility] 8F Helper - gbz80aid - Page 2

Re: [Utility] 8F Helper - gbz80aid

Posted by: ISSOtm
Date: 2016-12-22 04:03:41

Very cool! It's funny these are button combinations like classic game cheats. What would the Konami code or Up-Down-Left-Right-A+Start give, lol?

I know I'm kind of a cheat nazi, but here goes :
It's Up-Up-Down-Down-Left-Right-Left-Right-B-A-Start.

(And the answer is probably a crash :D)

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2016-12-22 08:01:32

Very cool! It's funny these are button combinations like classic game cheats. What would the Konami code or Up-Down-Left-Right-A+Start give, lol?

I know I'm kind of a cheat nazi, but here goes :
It's Up-Up-Down-Down-Left-Right-Left-Right-B-A-Start.

(And the answer is probably a crash :D)

Mm yes, the Konami code is that code. The Up-Down-Left-Right-A+Start is actually a Sonic the Hedgehog cheat (I think?), in case you thought I was writing the Konami code. On hindsight it's been a long time since I tried messing around with the Sonic games so I don't know if that's the code for sure.

Thanks. :)

Yeah. It would be fun if you didn't get a crash, then you could brag using 8F with a set up and entering the Konami code does something cool (or uncool). Perhaps not many people would have believed you if this was back in 2000 or so lol.

Posted by: ISSOtm
Date: 2016-12-22 08:28:21
Imagine using 8F in 1996/7 :D

Posted by: Cryo
Date: 2016-12-22 09:07:25

Hehe, definitely brings me back to being a kid in the 90's!

As far as the instructions go, Up-Down-Left-Right-A-Start would translate to the [tt]ld sp,hl[/tt] instruction.

The Konami code would actually be 3 instructions: [tt]ld b,b[/tt]; [tt]add a,b[/tt]; and [tt]ld l,e[/tt].

And yeah, both would cause the game to NOP slide to its (probable) demise. :P

Imagine using 8F in 1996/7 :D

Oh man, it's crazy to think what people would have come up with back when the GameBoy was in its prime. With all the GB devs with gbz80 experience, it would've only been a matter of time before a few of 'em made some truly unique and crazy stuff with it. =')