Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Programming/Scripting/Development/Web Design

Regarding Pokemon's input-time-to-turn - Page 1

Regarding Pokemon's input-time-to-turn

Posted by: Shaoran
Date: 2020-05-01 17:15:39
I'm fiddling around with a friend to make a game, a little RPG, and we were planning out the movement coding. We figured out that, if we are to make a grid-based movement, it'd look pretty janky if we didn't implement a turning system akin to Pokemon's directional tapping. What came to mind in particular was an input-time check, which we are thinking how to implement.
But on the meantime, do we have information regarding how the Pokemon games handle this? In particular I wonder if it uses a similar system to what we thought of, and in that case what time values it uses, since in those the turning is comfortable, snappy without being difficult.

Re: Regarding Pokemon's input-time-to-turn

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2020-05-18 05:59:56
Hi. I'm unsure of the full picture on how it works, sorry. However I noticed in my Yellow it's at least 3 frames, and sometimes for some reason 4 frames to move. Turning just on the spot is 1-2 frames, sometimes 3. A frame on the Game Boy is ~1/60 second, so 1/20 and 1/15 (moving) and 1/60-1/20 might help :).