Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Forum Announcements

Triumphant Return - Page 2

Re: Triumphant Return

Posted by: Abwayax
Date: 2008-08-06 17:58:58
I never told anyone not to use adblock plus

Posted by: Guy
Date: 2008-08-06 18:31:57
Well, it would be a pretty simple solution for a good amount of us then, wouldn't it? Anyway, I don't really mind The Advertising Metapod.

Posted by: Pikachu~
Date: 2008-08-07 00:49:04

Why can't we use AdBlock Plus exactly? It might sound stupid but I didn't really get it…or what's wrong with using it? I can't see any ads, I never realized there was any 'till I disabled it.

I was under this impression as well. Nothing seems wrong with having the ads in place. After all, you're not obligated to click them, are you?

Pika~

Posted by: Newo
Date: 2008-08-07 16:36:27
Any better hosts? Allow you to move them around (Or maybe none at all). What is it that you want? I'll see if I can find a better solution.

Posted by: Zach the Glitch Buster
Date: 2008-08-07 19:54:56
Yes, lets try to find better hosting. Trsrockin's site has adds, but they aren't as obvious and fit with the layout. Our adds on the site make the site look cheesy and crappy. Not a good combo. It doesn't match the layout at all, in fact it contrasts it. Google adds in the left menu would be fine, as those can blend in with the layout. But we need to find a place that can host us without all of the crappy looking adds.

Posted by: Bent`
Date: 2008-08-07 20:12:52
I dunno, "the Advertising Metapod" is kinda cute.

Date: 2008-08-07 20:30:53

Yes, lets try to find better hosting.

You're paying for it, is that ok?

I'm sorry guys but this is the best host I can find, for free. Other hosts say "ALL FREE NO ADS" but they can't possibly sustain themselves without revenue. And I think this is one of 3 free hosts that support .htaccess files, which GCL needs (this is why we have pretty urls like docs/ditto/mew instead of docs.php?page=ditto&subpage=mew)

I'll try to put the ads on the right side and see if that makes it look better.

Posted by: Bent`
Date: 2008-08-07 20:44:43
This is free hosting? That's interesting.

I'm fine with the ads, but if it's an ad-free host you want, I've been using Byethost for a while. Ad-free, .htaccess, MySQL, and overall it's been pretty satisfying.

DISREGARD, BYETHOST IS TERRIBLE

Date: 2008-08-07 20:52:49
I tried byethost actually… there was an issue with some 404 ad redirection page or something (something similar to this). I assumed their service was hiccuping at the time because MLT_REQ was having the same problem.

Now it works, but I'm not quite sure I want to go through all that trouble of moving again, especially as this database is so large that importing it through phpmyadmin seems to cause it to break. I guess then if I want the site moved to Byet, I'll get another admin to do it - maybe Mr. AdBlock Plus would like to lend a hand?

Edit: Yeah, I said this was one of 3 (that I found). Byethost was the second, and x10hosting was the third (almost exactly like profusehost except they make you log in to their forum every 2 weeks)

Posted by: fivex
Date: 2008-08-08 00:26:19

I tried byethost actually… there was an issue with some 404 ad redirection page or something (something similar to this). I assumed their service was hiccuping at the time because MLT_REQ was having the same problem.

Now it works, but I'm not quite sure I want to go through all that trouble of moving again, especially as this database is so large that importing it through phpmyadmin seems to cause it to break. I guess then if I want the site moved to Byet, I'll get another admin to do it - maybe Mr. AdBlock Plus would like to lend a hand?

Edit: Yeah, I said this was one of 3 (that I found). Byethost was the second, and x10hosting was the third (almost exactly like profusehost except they make you log in to their forum every 2 weeks)
That was unexpected.

Posted by: xparasite9
Date: 2008-08-11 10:25:51

Perhaps putting them in the (unused) rightmenu?

…like I told you to do?

Posted by: Newo
Date: 2008-08-16 09:05:46
Actually, That looks really quite nice. That is good. You can see them but they are not to distracting.

Posted by: Gawaxay
Date: 2008-08-29 17:53:32
Psst…Adblock Plus users:

forums.glitchcity.info#TD(class=windowbg3)
It leaves the gray line above and below the "post" by the Advertising Metapod, but any wider and it would hide every single post on the entire page. The one above doesn't look like it affects anything else. If you just can't stand the Advertising Metapod, then use that. :P

Posted by: Yuzihax
Date: 2008-08-29 18:00:06

Psst…Adblock Plus users:

forums.glitchcity.info#TD(class=windowbg3)
It leaves the gray line above and below the "post" by the Advertising Metapod, but any wider and it would hide every single post on the entire page. The one above doesn't look like it affects anything else. If you just can't stand the Advertising Metapod, then use that. :P

Yay! Now GCL looks completely normal
Lol, I didn't know that the Advertising Metapod could be blocked, but woot anyway.

Posted by: Gawaxay
Date: 2008-08-29 19:07:04
This post =
[size=8]DELETED![/size]