Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Pokémon Discussion

Unown questions - Page 1

Unown questions

Posted by: Darth_Maleval
Date: 2007-07-07 19:44:45
I was playing crystal a while ago, and I was wondering… What the (diet dr. pepper) is with the "????" broadcast? I went to SPPF and asked and they were a fat lot of help.  ::)

Re: Unown questions

Posted by: Don Watermeleon
Date: 2007-07-07 21:50:53
Could you please rephrase your question a bit? I actually am not sure what you mean by the " ??? " broadcast, I'm afraid. My apologies.

Posted by: Abwayax
Date: 2007-07-07 21:51:51
There's no real purpose to it, it's just a repeating sound effect. Perhaps Unown communicate through radio signals or something. :-/

Edit: What he's talking about is the special radio channel that you can only access while inside the Ruins of Alph. It is labeled ? ? ? and emits an almost-glitchy sound effect.

Posted by: Bobaloo
Date: 2007-07-07 21:52:19
It was probably the unown doing something to the radio??

I like diet dr. pepper!

Date: 2007-07-07 21:55:13
Well, if it's there for all the games, it is unlikely a glitch. Maybe it has some sort of hidden meaning.

And you must forgive my lack of knowledge on…this material. I shall try to learn a bit more about these glitches.

Posted by: Abwayax
Date: 2007-07-07 21:58:52
It's not a glitch. It was intentionally put there by the programmers.

Date: 2007-07-07 21:59:45
Yeah, that's what I said. Maybe they added it in as a joke or something? Like the truck from R/B/Y.

Posted by: Darth_Maleval
Date: 2007-07-09 20:52:38
Thanks for clarifying. The nimrods at SPPF just said: It's not anything" and that was it. Also, the last two caves are blocked. How do I get to them? (I have the Flash one and the Escape one)

Posted by: Wicked Klown
Date: 2007-07-09 23:06:27
"It's not anything" that is true, it is just unown making wierd sounds, which is nothing.

Posted by: PichuUmbreon
Date: 2007-08-03 16:39:49

Thanks for clarifying. The nimrods at SPPF just said: It's not anything" and that was it. Also, the last two caves are blocked. How do I get to them? (I have the Flash one and the Escape one)

I believe one of the caves, Union Cave or Dark Cave, has a passageway leading to it.

"It's not anything" that is true, it is just unown making wierd sounds, which is nothing.

Yeah, I think that the Unown give off radio signals much like the Team Rocket machine for turning Magikarp into Gyarados gives off radio signals.

Posted by: Pesuk
Date: 2007-08-03 23:29:04

Yeah, I think that the Unown give off radio signals much like the Team Rocket machine for turning Magikarp into Gyarados gives off radio signals.

Yeah I highly agree with you. That is most likely the case. What would be funny is if it's a mapping glitch unintended to be there. I know it's not I just felt like saying that. I love the tune though. Before my game got destroyed I used to listen to it as actual music.

Posted by: Bent`
Date: 2007-08-04 21:55:21
The Unown broadcast is mentioned in the Radio Tower, 3F.

Unown communicate via radio waves. The puzzles (Kabuto, Omanyte, etc) were signals that triggered the Unowns' appearance, and the later building of the PokeCom Center in Goldenrod City activated the mysterious patterns in the back walls of the ruins (in Crystal).

Posted by: Matoyak
Date: 2007-08-28 18:10:23
I've got a question for y'all…what is the deal with the Unowns? I know they're shaped like the alphabet, but is their shape the only difference? And the move they have, Hidden Power, how does it work? I didn't ever figure out anything about the Unown past getting them…

Posted by: Guy
Date: 2007-09-01 12:47:34

I've got a question for y'all…what is the deal with the Unowns? I know they're shaped like the alphabet, but is their shape the only difference? And the move they have, Hidden Power, how does it work? I didn't ever figure out anything about the Unown past getting them…
Hidden Power you should look on Serebii…it's complicated, something to do with
iVs…and yes they are no different.

Posted by: Sorreah
Date: 2007-09-30 19:02:12
(whisper) They're placeholders so there are less glitch placeholders (whisper)