Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Pokémon Discussion

I bought Pearl, and its boring - Page 2

Re: I bought Pearl, and its boring

Posted by: Kyoukipichi
Date: 2009-02-05 23:53:51
I found Pokemon DP boring as well, because all it really was is "Get eight badges and go beat the Elite Four" reused again and again, with some gimmicks put in.

In my opinion, what made Pokemon GSC really good was that its story had a lot of depth, and its characters had depth as well. Pokemon DP is only ankle-deep when it comes to that, especially with old cliches that seem to have come from other people's ideas.

That, and the English version of Pokemon DP is a bad translation.

People might say that Pokemon was never about story, but every RPG needs a very good story. Then you can push away the story later on at the end of the game and do your battles if you want.

(Though I find just battling for the sake of it kinda boring.)

Posted by: amityvilletoaster1
Date: 2009-02-09 21:12:06
I have to agree. I found Pearl boring. The idea of the games are starting to get old, and the pokemon themselves are just not like what they used to be. I found that pokemon of the 4th generation are similar to neopets, or, what I mean, are becoming similar.

So, to make it fun, I bought an AR!!!! Now, I have 842 codes for Pearl and the game is fun! Although it crashes easily (I usually have about 10 codes on)

Posted by: Tweaker
Date: 2009-02-12 14:16:42
I don't actually own this game, but a friend of mine recently got it and I dicked around a bit. First off, while the melodies themselves may not be so bad overall, the music sounds absolutely horrible. This is a trend I expected to continue since the GBA series were released, but not nearly to such a ridiculous extent. Games such as Sonic Rush have proven that fantastic sound on the DS is more than possible–what's the deal here?

The graphics themselves are rather interesting. I like the whole 3D-esque take they took on rendering the environments, but for some reason the rich graphics don't feel… right. I haven't enjoyed a Pok?mon game since Crystal, and I think all of the overcomplicated graphical effects and "improved" music have a lot to do with that. It feels like the games have lost the simplistic, appealing charm that used to make them great. And seriously, when's the last time you heard music as utterly badass as that featured in G/S/C? Shit is bumpin'.

What I liked includes the ability to actually run, the convenience of the bottom screen in regards to organization, and the new advanced Pok?dex. What I don't like–or understand, for that matter–is why the item menu wasn't manipulatable on the bottom screen. I'm also kind of flabbergasted by how many different "pockets" are present for items, which makes me question if there's such a concept of over-organization. While I didn't delve too deep into what types of new items existed, I at least found that some of the bock-standard, expected items still existed. Though I'm wondering why they keep renaming all of the TMs… makes shit hard to remember.

One thing that really appalled me, though, was the sheer mass of Pok?mon that I've missed out on. I recognize the first, and second generations down to every individual Pok?mon, and I recognize small portions of the 3rd generation, but generation 4 is totally beyond me. I found myself embarrassed looking at some of these totally uninspired designs and equally ridiculous names (and attempts at puns). Does each game in the series really need to shell out an additional 100-150 Pok?mon designs? Is this really the only way the series can experience some sort of progression? The concept of "gotta catch them all" is becoming an increasingly testing, obscene, and unrealistic goal. Seriously, aren't there like 500 goddamn Pok?mon now? That's totally unacceptable. Jesus christ.

I once found myself excited for this game solely because of the concept of online battling–something that I've been waiting literally years for–but am slowly being deterred further and further from wanting to try it out. I collected all 151 original Pok?mon, and I even obtained a good portion of the second generation, but I can't see myself being arsed in the slightest to try and get 500 of them. Fuck that.

Why can't we just go retrograde and make another Game Boy game? :(

Posted by: Ketsuban
Date: 2009-02-12 15:01:15
OH MY BROTHER!

TESTIFY!!!

Posted by: glitchhunter09
Date: 2009-02-12 15:06:01
Seriously, aren't there like 500 goddamn Pok?mon now? That's totally unacceptable. Jesus christ.

Actually there are only 493 to be exact. (regardless your estimate was very close.) The 493rd being the badass creator of the pokemon universe. The fun thing about catching him is that besides his ability to change types depending on what plate is attached to him and being one of only 2 Normal type Legendaries, it also means you get to brag to your friends with the phrase " Guess what I caught God! God belongs to me now, so therefore he's my bitch and I can do anything I want with him! MWAHAHAHA!" *Insert record skipping noise*

Ummm….. yeah, other than this I got bored with the game (mainly because i played through the game mostly with an Action Replay DS and a Walk anywhere codes because I was too lazy to play through the game normally and wanted to be able to catch God/Arceus. After I got Arceus to level 100 I stopped playing.

For me the thing that turns me away isn't the sheer number of Pokemon. (I had all 386 on my Leafgreen before it erased. It took me 4 or 5 years but I did it.) The thing that turns me away is the fact that the creators are getting sloppier. Now you can fuck up the screen thanks to the "Tweaking Glitch" (no reference to you though Tweaks.XD) Not only that but in some cases you can walk through walls if done correctly. It requires the Bike to be in second gear. There actually is a thread for it here somewhere.
Though I'm wondering why they keep renaming all of the TMs… makes s**t hard to remember.

There is an answer to that question. Balance. They are the same 50 TMs that appear in generation 3 games because of importing purposes with generation 3. I am not to excited for them because they god rid of all the helpful offensive TMs and replaced them with Status booster TMs or decided that useless attacks like Roar were actually going to be used. They also make the remaining good TMs either one of a kind or so fucking expensive at a department store or game corner that you can't get them without using a lot of cash. Solar Beam always has been one of a kind even back in generation 1 so I'm ignoring it but am still pissed off about it regardless.

I'd like to add that giving the Ghost and Poison pokemon species evolution chain the Levitate ability in Generation 3 was overkill because it covers up their weakness to ground type moves.

What I liked includes the ability to actually run
You could do this in generation 3 but since Ruby and Sapphire they have gradually made it more usable in buildings. As of generation 4 you can run almost anywhere. The running animation in generation 4 is more realistic in stride but it makes the shoes feel slower than they actually are.

I did like two generation 3 games but they were for the gamecube: Pokemon Colosseum and its sequel Pokemon XD: Gale of Darkness. Seriously, who doesn't enjoy stealing other trainers' Pokemon regardless if they are Shadow or not?

Posted by: amityvilletoaster1
Date: 2009-02-12 16:34:17
I too miss the simplicity. I don't like the amount of pokemon now, not only because the video game is now a pain to accomplish, but I also like to collect the cards, and I don't have room to be storing the amount of cards that they are coming out with.

I too miss the badass music. Generation 1, in my opinion, was the best, but Generation 2 does come really close. The music now is so, kiddy.

I don't like the look differences between genders that they added. For example, a female Pikachu's tail is shaped like a heart, which pissed me off. I also don't like that pokemon have different forms.

As for TM's, I don't mind them changing them around, but what I hated, was when they made Flash a TM.

Gameplay in the original GB games is more fun, mainly because of originality. And generation 2 combined the map from generation 1, which we have not seen since then.

And last, I agree with the names of the pokemon. They are becoming, a bit, shall we say stupid? There's no more originality!

Posted by: SCared_Fir3
Date: 2009-03-26 20:30:52
I actually have to agree with you on this one. To me, it looks like Game Freak's working more on adding gimmicks to the Pokemon games than trying to create something new and interesting, that as you already pointed out, made it different than every other RPG game when it first came out. They seem to have completely run out of creativity with the newer games; something I noticed around the 3rd generation. While the first generation had a unique antagonistic team whose goals to merely use Pokemon to make money were very realistic in the setting, and you found them as a believable foe. This idea, along with naming every evil organization "Team Something" in each game, has transformed into a group of people with uniform haircuts who wants to take over some dimension or something. Once I saw that they had put spikes on the sides of their "secret headquarters", I stopped paying any attention to them.

The creative ideas for the Pokemon themselves has definately gotten worse too, and I don't think any of these new 4th generation Pokemon are as cool as the 1st generation. It's not that D/P are bad games in themselves, it just looks more like Game Freak has made so much money off the franchise they're not trying to update the style of gameplay from generation to generation, and things have started to get repetitive.

I haven't played Platinum, so perhaps they've improved on a few things, though I admit I'm tired of seeing seperate "Pokemon Formes" as an excuse to create new, original Pokemon. It just seems lazy, and I'd rather see them add more regular Pokemon than legendaries which can't be used competitively.

I've been active on competitive D/P sites since the game out (before I bought it). The metagame is destroyed. Garchomp is broken. Platinum is going to screw things over even more with Bullet Punch-Scizor and DD-Outrage Salamence.

The GTS was a good idea, but it could have been implemented much better.

I found Pokemon DP boring as well, because all it really was is "Get eight badges and go beat the Elite Four" reused again and again, with some gimmicks put in.

In my opinion, what made Pokemon GSC really good was that its story had a lot of depth, and its characters had depth as well. Pokemon DP is only ankle-deep when it comes to that, especially with old cliches that seem to have come from other people's ideas.

That, and the English version of Pokemon DP is a bad translation.

People might say that Pokemon was never about story, but every RPG needs a very good story. Then you can push away the story later on at the end of the game and do your battles if you want.

(Though I find just battling for the sake of it kinda boring.)

I have to agree. I found Pearl boring. The idea of the games are starting to get old, and the pokemon themselves are just not like what they used to be. I found that pokemon of the 4th generation are similar to neopets, or, what I mean, are becoming similar.

AGREED AGREED AGREED!

Ummm….. yeah, other than this I got bored with the game (mainly because i played through the game mostly with an Action Replay DS and a Walk anywhere codes because I was too lazy to play through the game normally and wanted to be able to catch God/Arceus. After I got Arceus to level 100 I stopped playing.

Me too!

And about 500 pokemon is ridiculous.

Posted by: Wa
Date: 2009-03-28 10:13:39
Diamond and Pearl are boring. Unlike R/S/E, you cannot train pokemon by battling trainers using the Pokenav (VS seeker sucks), the new pokemon are dumb (do we really need two more Eevee evolutions?), and the 2.5D graphics look like crud (either go full 3D or stay at 2D.) I could write an entire persuasive essay on how boring they are. I only used my Diamond for online battles and random trades on the GTS. I seriously wish I had trade my uncheated shiny Tyranitar to my Emerald, cloned it, and then uploaded it, instead of uploading it directly from my LeafGreen.

Posted by: Chaos Rush
Date: 2009-03-28 12:20:48
Gameplay in the original GB games is more fun, mainly because of originality. And generation 2 combined the map from generation 1, which we have not seen since then.
Actually, G/S/C did not re-use the original Kanto map, they made a new Kanto that's 25% the size of the original. Viridian Forest was reduced to a pile of bushes.

But besides the point, I <3 G/S/C, but I just wished that it didn't have Kanto and instead, Johto would have been a giant region.

Also I agree that 4th gen music sucks. Go listen to the music in the Dragon's Den on G/S/C. That is the most creepiest, most awesome, 8-bit theme ever.

VS seeker sucks
The one thing I like about D/P (and FR/LG, but I liked those games) is the VS Seeker. It's bomb. Now you don't need to wait 3 hours to battle somebody.

Posted by: Axaj
Date: 2009-03-28 13:37:29

or decided that useless attacks like Roar were actually going to be used.

Actually, Roar is a great move in competitive battling (it is a counter against Calm Mind/Bulk Up/Dragon Dance/ect.).

Posted by: Guy
Date: 2009-03-28 15:40:36

I don't actually own this game, but a friend of mine recently got it and I dicked around a bit. First off, while the melodies themselves may not be so bad overall, the music sounds absolutely horrible. This is a trend I expected to continue since the GBA series were released, but not nearly to such a ridiculous extent. Games such as Sonic Rush have proven that fantastic sound on the DS is more than possible–what's the deal here?
Personally, I don't think the music is bad, but it's simply a matter of taste. I can see that it has evolved a lot since G/S/C, and since you are very used to that I suppose I can understand your point. I have few DS games, so I am not good at comparing the quality and such to that of others.

The graphics themselves are rather interesting. I like the whole 3D-esque take they took on rendering the environments, but for some reason the rich graphics don't feel… right. I haven't enjoyed a Pok?mon game since Crystal, and I think all of the overcomplicated graphical effects and "improved" music have a lot to do with that. It feels like the games have lost the simplistic, appealing charm that used to make them great. And seriously, when's the last time you heard music as utterly badass as that featured in G/S/C? s**t is bumpin'.
Since when has Pok?mon been simple? The basics of the game were set in Red/Blue, and those have only been gradually added onto since. The graphics back then may have been slightly less detailed, but that was acceptable back then. Just like in the Mario series, they can't keep everything to the standards of many years ago. Part of the reason for the new kind of graphics is that they simply want to make more use of the DS's capabilities, like you claimed they had not done with regards to the music. These kind of graphics could not have easily been rendered on the GBA, and IMO they still keep the general "feel" they've had since R/B.

What I liked includes the ability to actually run, the convenience of the bottom screen in regards to organization, and the new advanced Pok?dex. What I don't like–or understand, for that matter–is why the item menu wasn't manipulatable on the bottom screen. I'm also kind of flabbergasted by how many different "pockets" are present for items, which makes me question if there's such a concept of over-organization. While I didn't delve too deep into what types of new items existed, I at least found that some of the bock-standard, expected items still existed. Though I'm wondering why they keep renaming all of the TMs… makes s**t hard to remember.
Have to agree with you here, although they did not rename any TMs.

One thing that really appalled me, though, was the sheer mass of Pok?mon that I've missed out on. I recognize the first, and second generations down to every individual Pok?mon, and I recognize small portions of the 3rd generation, but generation 4 is totally beyond me. I found myself embarrassed looking at some of these totally uninspired designs and equally ridiculous names (and attempts at puns). Does each game in the series really need to shell out an additional 100-150 Pok?mon designs? Is this really the only way the series can experience some sort of progression? The concept of "gotta catch them all" is becoming an increasingly testing, obscene, and unrealistic goal. Seriously, aren't there like 500 goddamn Pok?mon now? That's totally unacceptable. Jesus christ.
Personally, I think that 151 is kind of a lot. It is simply Pok?mon tradition to add 100 or so new Pok?mon each time, though I agree that a few were rather embarrassing this time. Not everybody tries to "catch 'em all", and this was actually not a main goal in Diamond and Pearl, as one only needed to see Pok?mon in order for them to add to the "Pok?dex" number.

I once found myself excited for this game solely because of the concept of online battling–something that I've been waiting literally years for–but am slowly being deterred further and further from wanting to try it out. I collected all 151 original Pok?mon, and I even obtained a good portion of the second generation, but I can't see myself being arsed in the slightest to try and get 500 of them. f**k that.

Why can't we just go retrograde and make another Game Boy game? :(
Well, that's my two cents.

Posted by: Kyoukipichi
Date: 2009-05-07 23:41:19

Also I agree that 4th gen music sucks. Go listen to the music in the Dragon's Den on G/S/C. That is the most creepiest, most awesome, 8-bit theme ever.

The cave song in Dark Cave/Slowpoke Well/Ice Cave/etc is also a masterpiece.

Posted by: glitchhunter09
Date: 2009-05-08 21:26:24
The reason why the music is so Shitty in the GBA and DS games is that they are using the MIDI music format. Interestingly enough the MIDIs are actually interchangeable between Generation III and IV games.

Not all the music in the 3rd and fourth Generation sucked over all I think the best one I've heard would have to be the unused Ruby and Sapphire Legendary Dogs theme mix or Deoxys' battle theme. Both of those tracks were bad ass regardless of their generation.

Posted by: Bent`
Date: 2009-05-08 23:42:00

The reason why the music is so Shitty in the GBA and DS games is that they are using the MIDI music format. Interestingly enough the MIDIs are actually interchangeable between Generation III and IV games.

Nearly every video game ever made uses synthesized music. (Technically GBA games don?t use MIDI, but it is something similar.) The GBC games synthesized the music, but their tunes were cool anyway.

Posted by: echinodermata
Date: 2009-05-09 00:46:53
The really nice thing that the creators did with generation II was that they kept continuity and connectivity with the first generation, and along with it, its fanbase. They let you trade freely between R/B/Y and G/S/C, they kept the old locations in kanto, and they made the series fit together.

And then along comes generation III where they make some new continent (actually, more like island. one thing i don't like about it is that it's too "tropical". Pokemon is not a tropical game in my mind.) Which as far as i care is on a different planet than Kanto and Johto. Its regional Pokedex didn't include all the Pokemon of the time (blasphemy!). You couldn't import your old pokemon from the old games. Which leaves me quite emotionally detached from the game.

Yes, I realize the technical reasons for not being able to trade with the previous games. And I'm okay with that, really. But that was the big opportunity to introduce innovation, because they didn't have to conform to the old structure. But they chose to conform.

Heck, they could do an epic 3-D adventure game. An MMORPG. Frick, a first person shooter (yes yes yes). dude that would be so fricken awesome. but only if they did it for serious, and not a spinoff. Imagine it, World of Pokemon. lulz. I still hope they're working on it.