Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Pokémon Discussion

Why I no longer play Pokémon - Page 1

Why I no longer play Pokémon

Posted by: Bent`
Date: 2009-10-09 23:53:48
This is why.

Genius Sonority makes inferior games. That leaves Game Freak, who seems more interested in remaking than doing anything interesting or new.

The last Pokémon game I bought was FireRed. I bought it on release expecting it to be fun, but I quickly grew boredtheres nothing to do once you beat the game. Then I picked up Crystal for the first time in a few years and fell in love with it all over again.

The only new release Ive tried since then was Platinum, which was incredibly boring. (Borrowed of course; I dont buy games without knowing theyre good.)

First gen was really pretty boring, and an obvious moneygrab. Second gen was the high point IMO, and that isnt just nostalgia speakingmassive improvements over the previous games, and Crystal actually put something newer than G/S on the table (Mobile Adapter, not that it ever made it here). I had a lot of fun with Ruby and Sapphire, but still prefer GSC (that is due to nostalgia, since R/S are great games). FR/LG sucked. Platinum sucked. I have no doubt that HGSS suckfrom what I hear theyre just GSC with the D/P engine, and not adding anything new.

Drill Dozer was great but nobody bought it. Game Freak wont make any more fun games like it because legions of Pokémon fans will buy all three identical versions of any shovelware title with Pocket Monsters slapped on the box. I complain because these people take away my chance at a new and good game.

Best Pokémon experience: Crystal with Pokémon Stadium 2. IMO.

Re: Why I no longer play Pokémon

Posted by: Missing? NO!
Date: 2009-10-10 00:04:26
I find myself getting bored with Platinum often too.

Posted by: Zowayix
Date: 2009-10-10 01:49:16

This is why.
Because a website told you to?

Genius Sonority makes inferior games.
Pokemon XD was good, kthx

That leaves Game Freak, who seems more interested in remaking than doing anything interesting or new.
I'm still sure they do so because the fanbase expects them to.

The last Pokémon game I bought was FireRed. I bought it on release expecting it to be fun, but I quickly grew boredtheres nothing to do once you beat the game.
Other than EV training, breeding, and all that competitive stuff. Or hell, even rebattling the E4 is something.

Then I picked up Crystal for the first time in a few years and fell in love with it all over again.

The only new release Ive tried since then was Platinum, which was incredibly boring. (Borrowed of course; I dont buy games without knowing theyre good.)
  • Lame plotRise of the MacGuffins. Distortion World had nothing of interest.
    U MAD?
    Im a sucker for laboratory creation plots and they couldnt even hold my interest for that (Red Chain).
  • Lame graphicsMy idea of animation is not two frames plus hardware scaling, and the overworlds sucked (3D too).
  • Lame charactersRival and Cynthia couldnt hold a candle to Silver and Lance. Archie/Maxie and Rocket Executives were more interesting than Cyrus. Even Giovanni felt more fleshed out than Cyrus. Anything with Rowan felt incredibly childish and condescending.
    Cynthia has boobs and Lance doesn't. Nuff said. Also, Silver fits more of the definition of asshole than rival. Rivals are people who compete against you, assholes are people who punch you when you talk to them and call you weak after you beat them.

First gen was really pretty boring
somewhat agreed
, and an obvious moneygrab. Second gen was the high point IMO, and that isnt just nostalgia speakingmassive improvements over the previous games, and Crystal actually put something newer than G/S on the table (Mobile Adapter, not that it ever made it here)
Crystal added the least features to its counterparts compared to the other third games. Celebi event and more easily catchable Suicune would be about it.
. I had a lot of fun with Ruby and Sapphire,
No love for Emerald? :(
but still prefer GSC (that is due to nostalgia, since R/S are great games). FR/LG sucked. Platinum sucked. I have no doubt that HGSS suckfrom what I hear theyre just GSC with the D/P engine, and not adding anything new.
Nothing new at all… other than, you know, the DPP engine. Which is quite different from GSC's.

Drill Dozer was great but nobody bought it. Game Freak wont make any more fun games like it because legions of Pokémon fans will buy all three identical versions of any shovelware title with Pocket Monsters slapped on the box. I complain because these people take away my chance at a new and good game.
A corporation only making games that are profitable? Oh noes!

[/nitpick]

Posted by: Bent`
Date: 2009-10-10 07:41:12
Yeah the only reason to play Pokémon these days is competitive battling. Even then I dont see why you wouldnt just buy one plus an AR.

That leaves Game Freak, who seems more interested in remaking than doing anything interesting or new.
I'm still sure they do so because the fanbase expects them to.

FR/LG sucked. Platinum sucked. I have no doubt that HGSS suckfrom what I hear theyre just GSC with the D/P engine, and not adding anything new.
Nothing new at all… other than, you know, the DPP engine. Which is quite different from GSC's.
And which is not new. Hint: its in DPP.

A corporation only making games that are profitable? Oh noes!
I guess nobody should complain about EA then. Oh wait.

Posted by: Ratipharos
Date: 2009-10-10 08:04:33
Now, I agree. But if you think about it, in about 4-6 years, people WILL get bored. All of the 1st generation of gamers will stop playing, and they will have to rely on the newer gamers. But, if you haven't noticed, the games are in steady decline. So in 4-6 years, the sixth generation will be out and it'll be the same thing. So they will have to start producing GOOD games again. Just wait 4-6 years.

Posted by: Angrysmurf
Date: 2009-10-10 10:40:25
I still love playing Pokémon, because it's a strategy game deep down. You're only given 4 move slots to fill, 'Which move should you teach this Pokémon?' 'Which type-combinations work best for you?' 'What Pokémon is strongest?'

EV's, breeding, and competitive battling also keep me coming back; there's such a rich variety of ways to train. The uniqueness of each Pokémon is a big thing for me; the fact that I could step into the long grass outside of Route 1 and catch five Rattata, and the fact that none of the five will be identical, keeps me drawn to the games.

Lately, however, Pokémon is that strategy game where Nintendo could throw you in any generic region with generic characters with a generic team to fight and a generic rival. All of the components of the storyline have become maddeningly one-dimensional; I could have developed a better and more original story for 4th gen. than Nintendo did.

I guess the bottom-line for me is: Sinnoh sucked. A lot. It started to go downhill with FireRed/LeafGreen, recovered a bit with Emerald, and than tanked with D/P/P (I'm not going to comment on HG/SS, because I don't own them and I don't emulate).

But something is missing. That spark that made Pokémon something special. All we have left is the expected.

That quote sums up how I feel about Pokémon right now. I still enjoy the games, but ther is definitely something missing. Hopefully Brocco Guy is right and eventually enough people will leave the franchise so that Nintendo/Game Freak/whoever the fuck feels like making these games is forced to actually make a new and improved model again.

Posted by: tachi
Date: 2009-10-10 10:52:16
I'm kinda with you on that! Pokemon is begining a new age of sucking!

Posted by: Ketsuban
Date: 2009-10-10 12:03:04

QFT

Posted by: tachi
Date: 2009-10-10 12:21:07
What does QFT mean?

Posted by: Ratipharos
Date: 2009-10-10 12:22:16
Quoted For Truth.

Posted by: Wa
Date: 2009-10-10 13:18:27

[/nitpick]

One of my favorite things about the older games was that your rival was an arsehole. It made it a lot more fun to name him various expletives, as having "ASS HOLE" as your friend was just self-deprecating. Seriously, it's kind of hard to be motivated to kill that Grovyle on Route 110 when your "rival" isn't insulting you at every turn. Now it's all about friendship and Contests and crap. It's almost like 4Kids has stuck their abhorrent little noses in the latest generations.

QFT

I agree with you all. It's just missing something. Maybe it's just because we're all growing up. Either way, I'll still play.

Posted by: glitchhunter09
Date: 2009-10-10 15:42:07

This is why.

Genius Sonority makes inferior games.

LIES ALL LIES!!! XD Seriously though, I agree with Zowayix on this. Pokemon XD and Colosseum were really great games and I'd listen to their Instrumentated soundtrack over the Fourth Generation MIDI Bullshit anyday.

Not really. They are more interested in making new games with lackluster new features for their new generation than anything else. That and punishing Cheating device users.

The last Pokémon game I bought was FireRed. I bought it on release expecting it to be fun, but I quickly grew boredtheres nothing to do once you beat the game. Then I picked up Crystal for the first time in a few years and fell in love with it all over again.

I bought the newer games because I thought they would be fun. I cheated to get through most of Pearl and in Platinum I'm still stuck on Maylene's fucking gym due to the Stupid punching bag puzzle.

• Lame plotRise of the MacGuffins. Distortion World had nothing of interest. Im a sucker for laboratory creation plots and they couldnt even hold my interest for that (Red Chain).
  • Lame graphicsMy idea of animation is not two frames plus hardware scaling, and the overworlds sucked (3D too).
  • Lame charactersRival and Cynthia couldnt hold a candle to Silver and Lance. Archie/Maxie and Rocket Executives were more interesting than Cyrus. Even Giovanni felt more fleshed out than Cyrus. Anything with Rowan felt incredibly childish and condescending.

I agree with the suckiness of Rowan and some of the other characters (i.e. Rival) but I think Cynthia was alright. Of course its most likely because I find her character attractive and Masturbate to it on occasions.

First gen was really pretty boring, and an obvious moneygrab. Second gen was the high point IMO, and that isnt just nostalgia speakingmassive improvements over the previous games, and Crystal actually put something newer than G/S on the table (Mobile Adapter, not that it ever made it here). I had a lot of fun with Ruby and Sapphire, but still prefer GSC (that is due to nostalgia, since R/S are great games). FR/LG sucked. Platinum sucked. I have no doubt that HGSS suckfrom what I hear theyre just GSC with the D/P engine, and not adding anything new.

I think HG/SS will be alright compared to DPP. Mainly because Generation II is the Generation I spent the most time with in my youth and I want to relive that feeling of playing it over again. Plus your lead pokemon now follows you around which seems pretty cool.

Haven't played it but I know about it.

I kind of agree. Although GB Tower in Pokemon Stadium 2 is as slow as hell.

Posted by: Stackout
Date: 2009-10-12 13:32:57
I agree. I've lost my Diamond and don't want to play Platinum. Might play Pokemon Rumble when it comes out over here, though. And Mystery Dungeon:Sky. And maybe the Mystery Dungeon games for the Wii.

Posted by: Missing? NO!
Date: 2009-10-12 17:35:17
Mystery Dungeon Sky came out today, I'm too lazy to get it.

XD

Posted by: ?????(000)
Date: 2009-10-13 10:21:17

Mystery Dungeon Sky came out today, I'm too lazy to get it.

XD

Friend of mine somehow got hold of it, and Guernsey is the last place to get it. Maybe he ordered it off Amazon.