Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Pokémon Discussion

Why I no longer play Pokémon - Page 2

Re: Why I no longer play Pokémon

Posted by: Wild MissingNo. appeared
Date: 2009-10-13 10:57:17
To be honest I'm 21 and I still play sometimes. I stopped playing Gen 1, Gen 2, Gen 3. I lost my original Diamond where I caught Dialga in a Pokeball. I don't use other balls like others do. I haven't touched my red in years, blue, still the same, Yellow with my Yellow MissingNo. still there, Gold, still barely finished after my data was lost, my Silver still works, no idea where my Crystal is, I still have Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald. Just about beat Ruby, and now use it for Pokemon Breeding, for Pokemon Coliseum (to raise) and Pokemon I wanted to train for the Battle Tower on Emerald when I get there. (If I get there). I sometimes play Mystery Dungeon (ROM), I can't research Gen 4 glitches due to the fact the Starly won't faint, as there's nothing left to research in Gen 1 2 3. Green is a nightmare because no one can read the names of the glitch so that's out of the window and two more Mystery Dungeons coming out, but on the fucking Wii? Argh! Four games I've wanted, Pokemon Battle Revolution, and them two Mystery Dungeon games, but had to be fucking Wii only. Hell there's a Dead Space game I want but "Wii-only". I haven't played a Pokemon game in a long time, where I was playing Pokemon Staduim 2, about 3 months ago but that was it, haven't played since. Kicked the shit out of Staduim 1, with my Red team. The anime sucked after the first gen, the games sucked after the release of D/P/PT. I still love Ru/Sa/Em, but I don't remember what I'm doing on Emerald.

Posted by: fivex
Date: 2009-10-13 18:40:02

One of my favorite things about the older games was that your rival was an arsehole. It made it a lot more fun to name him various expletives, as having "ASS HOLE" as your friend was just self-deprecating. Seriously, it's kind of hard to be motivated to kill that Grovyle on Route 110 when your "rival" isn't insulting you at every turn. Now it's all about friendship and Contests and crap. It's almost like 4Kids has stuck their abhorrent little noses in the latest generations.

I agree.
What is bad is that in HG/SS, silver changes near the end.

Well at least he battles you by surprise when to go to challenge the E4(The first step you take on the second set of steps, he challenges you)

Posted by: :56 ERROR
Date: 2009-10-16 15:23:28
The thing is, everyone eventually grows out of a fad.
The younger generations are just going to keep getting attached to Pokemon, while us older generations see it slowly fade in storyline/ideas/et cetera.
I still hold on to my love of Pokemon simply because of nostalgia; R/B/Y, G/S/C, R/S/E were all incredible games that kept me entertained for 1+ years sometimes. Now however, I find myself disappointed in the 4th Gen. Some of the Pokemon of the 4th Gen lack ideas, especially Arceus, IMO.
I have Platinum, and once I defeated the Elite Four, I put the game down and I haven't really picked it up for a while now.
I'll always try to defend Pokemon, but like all extremely popular things it loses its former shine to the older group.

Posted by: Abwayax
Date: 2009-10-27 23:41:44

What is bad is that in HG/SS, silver changes near the end.

He changes in the end of the original, too.

Unless by change you mean something other than "realizes that friendship is the way to building a strong team instead of being an asswipe all the time", which he eventually does do.

Posted by: Kuukichuu
Date: 2009-10-30 20:24:26
<This post may not make sense - I am really tired and only awake as I seem intent on coughing up a lung>

I must admit I was also disappointed by the more recent games.
Here's my views on the different generations:
1st Gen - Awesome. Very nostalgic, and also it was the beginning of the entire franchise. I spent a lot of my childhood on these. I am not saying much because there is just WAY too much to say about how I feel about these games. Earlier this year or possibly last year, I started to replay Yellow aiming to re-comlete the pokedex, but my main focus moved on to…

2nd Gen - Fixed some of the annoyingnesses of 1st gen such as the pitifully small pack, making replay better. Also introduced some cool features, like the radio and registering the bike to the select button. I also really loved getting phone calls from NPC trainers. I found with these games I could really feel I was there. I usedto plan each week what I needed to do (what with some events only being on certain days and whatnot). I used to get up a 4am sometimes to do a mega-morning-pokemon-hunt. Also very nostalgic, particularly when you get to go back to Kanto (I am home!) (Pokemon r/b/y/g/s/c = childhood in a bottle) Also being able to trade from my old games was pretty awesome

3rd Gen - I bought Sapphire on the first day of a fortnight spent at a friends house (he got Ruby). That was pretty awesome. We spent most of the fortnight playing solid. Kinda went downhill after I stopped staying at my friends (he lived 120 miles away, so I couldn't exactly pop round to his). I found these focussed more on competitive and multiplayer-ness. Which was cool until I got back to my house and had no-one to play with (I went to an all-girls school. I swear I was the only person I knew who still played pokemon).
        My other complaint was that you couldnt get most of the pokemon so it always felt incomplete. Still pretty cool and fun to play. I had a shot at replay, but quickly lost interest (I couldn't recognise many of the pokemon or areas). Starting to find there are too many pokemon to keep track of.

4th Gen - I got Diamond. Pretty cool, added some awesome new features, but I just couldn't get into it, possibly because I am older, but then I can still get "into" the earlier games (although not quite as much as in my youth). I found quite a few of the new pokemon looked silly, I mean even if the idea was awesome the designs just didn't gel with me. It might be because I am getting older, it might be because I am not as "into" pokemon as I was when I was younger (I no longer watch the anime and can't recite the pokedex. For first gen I was a Pokegod). My main complaint for the designs though, is that they are starting to lack originality and realness to me. That and they ruined what could have been pretty awesome pokemon by adding random spikes or stars or whatnot (e.g. Crawdaunt would look so much more awesome if it didn't have that weird mask-star thing and I think the spikes on Lucario just look bad).
      Also again you can't really complete the pokedex. Way too many pokemon to keep track of, although granted I will never actually meet many of them, gone are my days of being a walking pokedex (I knew every pokemon's type, roughly what moves it learnt and when it evolve for the earlier games. I had a real-life rival who always tried to use the Official Pokemon Handbook to defeat me in hypothetical battles. Even with it I never lost). I think I have defeated the elite four but maybe not.
      I also feel like I am missing out on most of the game. I find information about pokemon or features in it I have never heard of. Also there is again more focus on competitive/multiplayerness than the earlier games. Which is fine if you have someone to play with/against. Granted there appears to be much that can be done with the wonders of the web, but I can't get my DS on the internet. As someone who focussed mainly on solo-play I feel left out as it were.

In summary I am still playing Pokemon. Only I am playing Yellow and Crystal (which have rekindled my love of pokemon), aiming to complete the crystal pokedex (which with my Yellow and Silver I am well on my way to doing). (And Blue but that's only because I am trying to raise various glitch pokemon). I also want to apologise for the long rambly nature of this post and the off-topic asides dotted throughout.

Posted by: Chaos
Date: 2009-11-12 20:13:21
What?!?
HG/SS having nothing NEW than the original?!?

Mewtwo, Latias, Latios, Kyogre, Groudon, Rayquaza, The birds, the Kanto and Hoenn starters, and upgrading Gym Pokemon say hi!

Posted by: Bluelatios
Date: 2009-11-12 20:38:12
Well, yeah I have been around Pokemon since Yellow version and Pokemon has had its ups and downs. But generally I have learned to adapt and accept the direction its going and enjoy it even more! Since Kuukichuu posted a brief history of generations I might as do mine (slightly long, bear with me):

Generation 1: The big craze begins. It was already well underway, when a friend introduced me to it around the release of Yellow and I was hooked. From there, I got a GBC and Yellow and got into the anime and cards ect.

Generation 2: "Hey look, OMG there are new games and Pokemon  :o"! It got more intense with the 2nd generation as having so many new changes drove my Pokemon craze further. Started collecting even more games and also got an N64 around then. I remember the days of me and my sister getting up at like 6 am or somethjing to watch Saturday morning cartoons, it was fun. Ah, the nostalgia…

Generation 3: I think this generation had a pretty large impact on me. I became much more hard working on the games and started getting more level 100's, beating the pokedex, and improving battle techniques. Unfortunately, my sister had lost interest by now, but it can't be helped, thats just the way it goes with some people. It close to the start of this generation that I met my best friend. He was starting to lose interest in Pokemon, but somehow after meeting me and having someone to do Pokemon stuff with, he got into it all over again. Each of our favorite Pokemon came from this generation as well: His is Blaziken, and mine is Latios  ;D. I started realizing the more in depth qualities of the anime and movies as well. Yeah I'll admit it, I think the friendship with Pokemon thing is kind of cool! More spin off games the Mystery dungeon have sprouted and it was very exciting to see new game styles open up.

4th generation: Where it currently stands now. I continue to collect more Pokemon stuff, The new games and anime seasons are out, and Pokemon has changed a lot since its beginning. I have changed some too, as I am not so dilligent as collecting all the Pokemon, it would take lots of heavy work migrating them to the new generation. I think I am focusing more on the regional dex. I still love the extra challenges like the battle frontier ect. I am curious as to what happens next, since its been 3 DP movies and Nintendo has not released any spoilers yet for the 5th generation. My friend says it will undoubtedly happen, but I have a hunch that Nintendo is either going to ficus on more spin offs, or may have other big plans for Pokemon in the future. Only time will tell…

Posted by: Bent`
Date: 2009-11-14 22:33:24

What?!?

Mewtwo, Latias, Latios, Kyogre, Groudon, Rayquaza, The birds, the Kanto and Hoenn starters, and upgrading Gym Pokemon say hi!

Thats like saying that Ruby and Sapphire are different games. Theyre not.

Date: 2009-11-14 22:40:16

What?!?

Thats like saying that Ruby and Sapphire are different games. Theyre not.
But there is a difference.
Ruby and Sapphire are opposites of each other. What one doesn't have, the other is supposed to have.
HeartGold and SoulSilver are remakes, meaning that they are just like the originals, but with MORE things that were not available in either of the originals nor the 3rd in the generation (Crystal). Case in point, HG/SS =/= Gold and Silver.

Date: 2009-11-14 22:43:25
Guess that's true. I'm getting HGSS because I know sooner or later my Gold and Silver are going to die, I mean my Yellow is on its last legs, unsure where my Crystal is, my late brother's Crystal is just a tainted pain in the ass, so I mean I am still getting these games in Spring 2010 (Europe), but the reason I've stopped playing is because I'm too old to play Pokemon.

Date: 2009-11-14 22:58:30

Guess that's true. I'm getting HGSS because I know sooner or later my Gold and Silver are going to die, I mean my Yellow is on its last legs, unsure where my Crystal is, my late brother's Crystal is just a tainted pain in the ass, so I mean I am still getting these games in Spring 2010 (Europe), but the reason I've stopped playing is because I'm too old to play Pokemon.

My Silver got corrupted, and that was sad, as I had pretty good Pokemon on there, AND it was my first game.
RIP Davis the Feraligatr :'(

Date: 2009-11-14 23:11:59
Ouch. My Gold did that to me once, I was rasing a Slowking that was ripping up Johto.