Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Pokémon Discussion

My Silver Version's Save File is still alive after all of these years! - Page 1

My Silver Version's Save File is still alive after all of these years!

Posted by: glitchhunter09
Date: 2009-12-02 21:00:54
As hard as it is to believe, my Silver version's Save file is still working after all of these years. I find this hard to believe as I have over 300+ hours of Play.

Even though my save file works, my game itself has problems. Not saving problems. Crashing problems. It crashes very easily now. Its not because I used too many cheats as I have never used a GameShark or similar device on it.

I think it might have something to do with its age and how I handled it. I probably sat on my Silver version too many times or crushed the cart somehow.

It has issues in Pokemon Stadium 2. After an extended period of being in the transfer pak, the game will eventually stop being read by the transfer pak. None of my other pokemon games do this, just my Silver version.

Its getting old but has out lived my Cousin's Gold version which I gave to him the day I got my Silver version.

I got both versions for Christmas that year (it was Christmas of 2000 btw) and I felt bad that he didn't get one and I really only wanted Silver because I was going through a fascination with Lugia at the time. That's why I gave it to him because pokemon is so much better with friends IMO. Despite my fascination with Lugia I ended up catching Ho-Oh first then Caught Lugia a couple of years later due to how confusing the Whirl Islands mazes were for me at the time.

A couple of years ago The same Gold version just erased the save file and stopped wanting to save. It took me a while to learn that it was the internal battery that had run dry.

I lost my Silver version for a couple of months only to have it given to me on this past Thanksgiving. Evidentally one of my cousin's siblings had secretly smuggled it over to my aunt's house. I put in my Gameboy to see if it was okay and sure enough, the save file was still there!

I'm really amazed it still has its savefile. I've been pretty cautious about when I play it as I want to make the most out of the game while it still has its save file. I'm just 11 pokemon away from owning all 251 in that game! (I completed some of my collection with the Mew Trick and transferred them over to my Silver and Crystal versions.)

Now that I have a Gameshark for Gameboy Color I can finally get that Celebi I so Desperately need to complete my collection. I might also get the other 10 since there is no telling how long before my save Battery runs dry and I want to make the most of it.

I really worked hard on my Silver version and while I've heard one can back up their savefile on some third party device, I have yet to see it.

Hard to believe that it will be a good nine years I've had my silver version coming this Christmas day. Oh the Nostalgia! *sheads a happy tear*

I may have somehow preserved my save file by "time traveling" back an forth between days of the week to exploit the lucky number show with the password cheat.

The real time clock in my Crystal version acts sort of odd sometimes, but that's another story I'll share some other time.

Re: My Silver Version's Save File is still alive after all of these years!

Posted by: Guy
Date: 2009-12-02 21:03:26
Congrats! I'm too scared to check whether mine's working or not, though I got it new in box only 5 and a half years ago.

Posted by: Chaos
Date: 2009-12-02 21:22:26
My Silver suffered that fate…. :'(
At first, I thought it was because I traded a Mew I got with the Mew Glitch….or by viewing that stats of Missingno. and 'M on Silver…

Re: My Silver Version's Save File is still alive a

Posted by: Zowayix
Date: 2009-12-02 21:57:45

Congrats! I'm too scared to check whether mine's working or not, though I got it new in box only 5 and a half years ago.

What are you scared about? It's not like the game's going to catch fire and explode in your face or anything.

Posted by: Bassmasta
Date: 2009-12-02 23:21:05
Congrats. I know how it feels to have a file for that long considering that I had my Crystal file from 2001 until about a month ago when my dumbass neighbor decided to delete the save files of all three of my second gen games…

Posted by: Wild MissingNo. appeared
Date: 2009-12-03 01:08:41
Wow, nice Glisp. My Yellow's data has still been sitting there looking at me, for the past 3 years, with the YM still there, being a pest. My Gold still works, after it suddenly deleting my saved data with my strong Slowking at that time, my Silver still works after messing with an AR that was my brother's and that still works, my Crystal I don't know, my other Crystal (was my brother's), data got deleted after saying the file was corrupted, and the time was not set, so congratulations on that. I know how it feels to lose data, my Yellow's done that to me ever since it slipped out of my hands and my GBC landed on my foot, but yeah I do fear that my Red is going to die because it has my Pokemon Stadium team on there, so it's all I have left after my Blue causing such a badass error, I lost all Pokemon on Stadium, so a few years and it's still alive, amazing. I got Gold and Silver on my 13th birthday, and had them since, but I've had my Yellow since it came out, and it still lives, for now. A good long nine years, and still going, amazing.

Posted by: glitchhunter09
Date: 2009-12-03 01:47:46
My original Red version has been missing for quite some time now. Luckily I have another one to replace it and my Yellow version still works.

For some reason, my pokemon Stadium 2 save file erased itself. I beat Gym Leader Castle Round 1 and all of the Round 1 stadiums minus Challenge Cup (which is a bitch anyways and I probably would have never beat it without a cheat code.) As far as I know, my Stadium 1 Save file is still intacted. At least last time I checked it was. I've beaten Round 1 on there because it was overall easier to do because of the fact I can choose my pokemon for ALL of the tournaments. I beat Round 2's Gym Leader Castle and just about every other tournament. I was having issues with either Poke Cup or Prime Cup Round 2. I forget which.

My Yellow version works fine as far as I know. I lost my Leafgreen's save file due to the game freezing while saving which deleted the file entirely. I had it for about five years and had only caught all 386 a couple months before and even got my Mew up to level 100. My Cart was getting old from so much cartridge connector abuse. the connector was very worn down and most of the wear was me over using my GameShark SP(s) on it.

The 10 Mb Sub-Circuit board was also having issues because on occasions, the cartridge would get filthy and that message would display. Sometimes after that file erasing, My LeafGreen would act strangely. Occasionally, the music would have some percussion missing and freeze shortly after.

Other times, when attempting to save, the game would display a message commonly seen on emulators in that the save failed and it would try to check the sub-circuit boards for problems and leave you with a message saying "Please Wait" and you'd be sitting there for hours and nothing would happen.

Then on even rarer occasions when starting the game up and loading a save file, the town you were in would be severely garbled. In fact it looked like it was made out of garbled shit.

I finally got board with it and gave it to my cousin's brother who decided to just stop playing it due to the problems. I got his Dragon Warrior Monsters 2: Tara's Adventure as part of the trade. (I was the only one really playing it anyways.)

My Crystal version acts strangely at times. While nothing is critically wrong with it, sometimes if I take a long break from playing it and go back to it sometime later (as in months not days or minutes.) Sometimes the clock would reset itself for no apparent reason. As a result, I'd have to reset the clock. This has happened to me Twice over the years I've had it.

Posted by: SCared_Fir3
Date: 2009-12-03 05:18:12
My crystal file acts up like that too
but my silver version is still alive and I've used tons of GS codes haha hooray

Posted by: Angrysmurf
Date: 2009-12-03 05:59:58
As far as I know, my Gold file is fine, but I haven't picked it up in a few months. I don't think much havoc can be wrecked in only a couple of months.

I wouldn't/won't be terribly upset if/when my Gold file finally dies. The save file on my Gold is about 3 or 4 saves from the original (I start over a lot), and I don't have any valuable Pokémon on it- just a few G/S legendaries that I could get easily on a new file. I also enjoy the quickness and general easy playing that comes with playing GBC Roms on VBA.

Posted by: Wa
Date: 2009-12-03 09:55:30
Wow, that's amazing. While I only have a Crystal version (I got it used a while ago), a few years ago my Diamond claimed that the save file had been deleted. Thankfully it was just had some dust in the cartridge slot (everything was fine), but it was horrible thinking that my life's work was gone in an instant. Speaking of, I should probably check on my Sapphire version…

Posted by: Newo
Date: 2009-12-03 11:24:22
My red I ruined with ZZAZZ Glitch (because I was determined to stabilise it)
My silver got ruined trying to get another bad clone.

This actually was before we had any use for bad clones, I just found them interesting. I think I found it ruined the hall of fame if in your party after defeating the 13374 (the coolest way to say elite four)

Posted by: Wild MissingNo. appeared
Date: 2009-12-03 15:52:56
I was pissed that when my Yellow deleted my data, I had a Mewtwo with a Special of 404. No joke. It wasn't done by cheats, or anything (we didn't have an AR back then), but ever since I caught YM, my Yellow hasn't killed itself yet. My original blue died, from the battery dying, or the fact I either used MissingNo. too much, because back no AR, my original Red was ruined, no matter how many time I'd delete my data and start again, my HoF would still be ruined. I was sure I saw PKMNPKMN in there before, it was black, with red pixels, but this was years ago. It took me 6 maybe 8 years to track down a copy of Pokemon Blue.

Posted by: Guy
Date: 2009-12-03 19:17:13
I've had a lot of experience with lost data, though it's always happened quickly enough that I haven't lost too much.
TCG file got erased once after beating Grand Masters,
got deleted again after getting all 8 badges,
got deleted again after collecting all 226 cards,
then I gave up and emulated a few years later.
Yellow file got erased shortly after beating the 13374. Had a Lv.78 Nidoking that I recreated on my Red. Worst part of that was losing the game. Emulated later.
Erased my Blue file myself after my brother leveled up my Charizard to Lv.100 with Rare Candies (wanted to do it myself).
Erased again a file with the name ASH because I didn't like the name (was for Old Man Glitch).
Currently have a file where I have recreated everything from my old save files.
And let's not forget the time I lost my Pearl and my DS while moving houses (had at least 200 hours), but restored everything later with Pokesav (all the nicknamed Pokémon were hard to remember, yes I know that's an extremely perfectionist thing).

Posted by: fivex
Date: 2009-12-03 20:13:36
I lost my diamond last year(And it might still be in my room somewhere…)
My pear's save file got corrupted(probably from too much AR usage) and then  I couldn't get the key into the galactic warehouse.(I restarted like 5 times and I still couldn't get it)

Posted by: Axaj
Date: 2009-12-03 20:19:59

What are you scared about? It's not like the game's going to catch fire and explode in your face or anything.

It's Schrodinger's cat.  He can't say it's not working if he hasn't tried it.