Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Pokémon Discussion

My Silver Version's Save File is still alive after all of these years! - Page 2

Re: My Silver Version's Save File is still alive after all of these years!

Posted by: Angrysmurf
Date: 2009-12-03 20:31:19
The only time a save file of mine was unintentionally deleted was back in May (before my internet access and when I had only small Pokémon glitch knowledge), when a friend of mine who had read about the Mew Glitch wanted to help me get Mew. We were transferring the Mew to Pokémon Stadium when the Transfer Pak was jostled ever so slightly.

I've never trusted the Transfer Pak after that.

Posted by: glitchhunter09
Date: 2009-12-03 20:44:01

I've had a lot of experience with lost data, though it's always happened quickly enough that I haven't lost too much.
TCG file got erased once after beating Grand Masters,
got deleted again after getting all 8 badges,
got deleted again after collecting all 226 cards,
then I gave up and emulated a few years later.
Yellow file got erased shortly after beating the 13374. Had a Lv.78 Nidoking that I recreated on my Red. Worst part of that was losing the game. Emulated later.
Erased my Blue file myself after my brother leveled up my Charizard to Lv.100 with Rare Candies (wanted to do it myself).
Erased again a file with the name ASH because I didn't like the name (was for Old Man Glitch).
Currently have a file where I have recreated everything from my old save files.
And let's not forget the time I lost my Pearl and my DS while moving houses (had at least 200 hours), but restored everything later with Pokesav (all the nicknamed Pokémon were hard to remember, yes I know that's an extremely perfectionist thing).

I NEVER give my pokemon nicknames in games from Generation 3 and beyond unless they are shiny in which I'll usually name it after various descriptions of Shiny pokemon features. I named a Shiny Tentacool Sparkles and I named my long since lost Purple Slowbro, "Yarah?" after what its cry sounds like and the fact that that's what the Slowbro in Cerulean said in GSC.

Sadly though it was on my Leafgreen when it erased. I should have transferred it to my Pokemon XD save file but I lacked the foresight to see my game freezing during a save. I mean COME ON! What were the odds if a Pokemon game freezing during a save and the save file getting totally deleted? Not very likely from my personal experience. the Shiny Tentacool was something I happened upon while surfing close to pacifidlog town in my cousin's Ruby while playing it.  It stopped working but my cousin's brother managed to
get it working only to find out the internal battery had run dry for the clock. That's alright though because at least in Ruby, the internal clock has almost no meaning beyond events in the game.

Ionly nickname my Generation I and II pokemon because I like to watch them change colors in Pokemon Stadium I and II. Depending upon your ID numbers and your pokemon's Nickname your pokemon's color will be different than usual. However, just because a nickname works for one person doesn't mean that using it on your pokemon will produce the same color variation. This is because all ID numbers are different between Trainers so it is impossible to produce the same color results by using the same nickname for your pokemon that another trainer has.

Not exactly sure how either Stadium game handles this but I'm assuming that it has a lot to do with your ID numbers and the decimal/hex values of the letters in both the OT and your pokemon's nicknames that vary the color pallete. Sometimes though you may see no color changes with certain nicknames you use. Also if you try changing the case of a nickname to lowercase, uppercase,  or both simultaneously then you will most likely get different results. Experiment with it a little.

One of the CPU trainers in Stadium 1 for example is a Hiker with a Rhyhorn nicknamed HIHORN. The resulting color change makes the Rhyhorn's mouth Neon green and its color deep almost purplish blue. It may be possible to reproduce this result or at least get close to it but you'd need to use a different Nickname other than HIHORN because chances are that the name will not work in the same way it did for the cPU Trainer's Rhyhorn's nickname. I know this for a fact because I've tested it myself.

Posted by: Angrysmurf
Date: 2009-12-03 20:56:05
I've almost always nicknamed my Pokémon (even sometimes inviting jest from my friends), but lately I've stopped. I could go back, though.

Posted by: Wild MissingNo. appeared
Date: 2009-12-03 20:58:59
Ah, I do that and before I named my Mewtwo by his Japanese name and he was all blue. Before I found out the Mew trick from another site, and I've never had any problems. I mean, I don't have many Pokemon left after my huge loss, on Stadium, where I was going to breed Eevee's on my Crystal, but my Pokemon got wiped out because of my Blue. Whenever I use my Yellow on Stadium, I send all my Pokemon to my Red and Blue, in case I get an error again with Yellow but didn't cause my Pokemon to be lost. My original Blue would crash, when I'd try and battle Misty, I was raising a Nidoking, as it would be like: "MISTY wants to battle." then my game would freeze and my screen went white. My Yellow has had deleted my data so much, I wanted to smash it. It's like once, when I was checking my brother's Yellow, and I thought the fucker deleted his data, so I checked it out as I went to New Game and all I had where Oak was, a long black rectangle, I didn't go any further in case his original data was still fine, so I turned it off and turned it back on, it was fine since. I sometimes nickname my Pokemon for the hell of it.

Date: 2009-12-03 21:00:17
Interestingly enough, the Nickname color change trick is actually mentioned IN the Pokemon Stadium instruction booklet that came with the first game. (not sure about the second game's instruction booklet because I could never find where it went long enough to actually read what it said. (In other words….. I lost it before I had a chance to read it…..

Date: 2009-12-03 21:16:54
It works in Stadium 2. I have a few Pokemon from my Gold/Silver/Crystal, nicknamed, and they've changed color.

Date: 2009-12-03 22:34:21

It works in Stadium 2. I have a few Pokemon from my Gold/Silver/Crystal, nicknamed, and they've changed color.

I know it works in Pokemon Stadium 2. I just wasn't sure if they mentioned it in the Pokemon Stadium 2 instruction booklet or not. Sorry I gave you the wrong impression. I know its pretty easy for you to misunderstand what people say with your autism sometimes.

Date: 2009-12-03 22:40:31
It does piss me off when other's try and get me into trouble with my short-fuse temper, or I prove them wrong. Nearly everywhere I go, I get crap for being autistic, can't I just be left in peace, I suffered enough of that in school - treated as an idiot/outsider. I don't have much room on Stadium 2, as it was my brothers and what's left of his Pokemon after his Gold and Silver's data went, and now his Crystal. I can't find my Crystal so I can't do Mystery Gift with myself, but hell I can just get all items from on the ROMs. Trouble with Jolteon, no matter what you nickname it, it'll always be green. If I had Pokemon Stadium 2, of my own, I'd check the book but meh, the book was lost many years ago.

Posted by: Axaj
Date: 2009-12-04 18:50:43

Interestingly enough, the Nickname color change trick is actually mentioned IN the Pokemon Stadium instruction booklet that came with the first game. (not sure about the second game's instruction booklet because I could never find where it went long enough to actually read what it said. (In other words….. I lost it before I had a chance to read it…..

Could you explain this trick?  I do not believe I have heard of it.

Date: 2009-12-04 19:07:23
You nickname your Pokemon yo anything, use an N64 - Pokemon Staduim 1/2 - with a Transfur Pack with R/B/Y (Stadium), GSC (Stadium 2), make sure you've saved in a Pokemon Center, and check your Pokemon, and your Pokemon would of have changed color. Rename the Pokemon back to what it was to originally called, and the Pokemon is back to normal.

Date: 2009-12-04 19:24:33

You nickname your Pokemon yo anything, use an N64 - Pokemon Staduim 1/2 - with a Transfur Pack with R/B/Y (Stadium), GSC (Stadium 2), make sure you've saved in a Pokemon Center, and check your Pokemon, and your Pokemon would of have changed color. Rename the Pokemon back to what it was to originally called, and the Pokemon is back to normal.

Also adding to what she just said to you Axaj, sometimes certain Nicknames won't have the desired effects on your pokemon. Sometimes your pokemon's colors will remain unchanged. If this happens just try a different nickname. As I mentioned earlier in this thread, if you see a pokemon that a CPU trainer has with a color you desire, you may need to test different nicknames to find that color as the colorations will vary between OTs as it is all based upon your ID numbers.

This is why some people have claimed that Missingno's and 'Ms that are turned into Rhydon Dolls and Dittos look Strangly colored in Pokemon Stadium games. It is because they didn't know about the color change trick and the fact that the game is just simply seeing it as a ditto with a nickname.

Sadly, all 3D games in generations beyond I and II lack this trick for some odd reason. Hopefully future 3D games will bring this back as it gave a true purpose ( for me anyway.) to nickname my pokemon.

Date: 2009-12-04 20:34:49
It's like in Stadium 1, I wanted that red-like Koffin, but can't find out how to do that, and that nicely colored Venusaur that was like a mint green.

Posted by: jocundthelilac
Date: 2009-12-18 10:30:29
Since I lost my Gold down the back of the settee years ago, I can't check that for posterity :(

I do, however, have my Crystal. The battery's gone on it, so I sadly can't save. My brother gave me a Silver he got second-hand out of box a while back, and it still saves pretty well! Not bad for a battery that was only expected to last five years ;)

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2010-01-16 11:14:55
The most time played I've had on my Pokémon Gold save is only about 130 hours as I corrupted it when attempting to withdraw 'the 255th Pokémon in the box.' I have noticed now though that in general even if I accidentally shift my Pokémon Gold cartridge even a little bit it will easily crash or put itself into a glitch dimension.

Posted by: MrGlitch
Date: 2010-01-17 18:28:47
My Gold file is still alive and well, with about 47 hours on it.
My Silver file is still alive, with about 24 hours on it.
My Red file is probably still alive, but I don't know, because I traded it in to a Gamestop in another state.  Stupid, stupid me…