Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Pokémon Discussion

Korean Pokémon Gold/Silver is GBC only - Page 1

Korean Pokémon Gold/Silver is GBC only

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2011-11-12 11:07:56
If you try to play the Korean Pokémon Gold/Silver (released 2002) on an original Game Boy, or exploit a glitch dimension you get this message, where the original Gold/Silver games were playable on DMG mode. It's like the same DMG incompatible message on Pokémon Crystal, but a much plainer one without a border. Some screenshots of what the boxart/cartridges for the Korean versions look like here).

[img]http://tcrf.net/images/9/92/DMG_incompatability_message_%28Korean_Pok%C3%A9mon_Gold%29.png[/img]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CLxZVqsHUQ

Re: Korean Pokémon Gold/Silver is GBC only

Posted by: JacobGRocks
Date: 2011-11-12 19:52:55
I thought the first offical Korean versions were DP, and those had some edits like no Pal Park, and a much different (and incompatable) font.

Then again, you learn something new every day. I wonder what other edits were made to them…

Posted by: Tsukuu
Date: 2011-11-12 20:07:09
I've tried "DP Palkia" once (I think that was the name for the Korean version). The save files from other versions were incompatible, but Pokesav did work. Korean looks like math symbols for me. :S

Date: 2011-11-12 20:24:03

I thought the first offical Korean versions were DP, and those had some edits like no Pal Park, and a much different (and incompatable) font.

Then again, you learn something new every day. I wonder what other edits were made to them…

I've also heard about there being no Pal Park in Korean Pokémon Diamond and Pearl, but there are some contradicting sources which suggest that it still exists. The trivia section on Bulbapedia says "Because there were no Korean Generation 3 games, the Pal Park of Korean Generation 4 games can transfer Pokémon from a Generation 3 game of any language.", but am I right in thinking it was possible to do that anyway?

I also recall that it is impossible for other localizations to trade with South Korea in Generation IV, apparently this is now fixed in Generation V, but does the Hangul alphabet exist in non-Korean Black/White?

It's interesting how Gold and Silver were localized in South Korea, and the Generation I and III games weren't. According to NintendoWorldReport.com Pocket Monsters Geum and Pocket Monsters Eum were the collaboration of Nintendo teaming up with an external Korean company (sourced Dengeki Online) but I haven't done enough searching yet to figure out which company.

I attempted the Coin Case glitch on the Korean version and it did not result in a game reset, although this may have been because I did not have any coins and exploited item codes to obtain a Coin Case.

Posted by: Bent`
Date: 2011-11-12 21:48:23

If you try to play the Korean Pokémon Gold/Silver (released 2002) on an original Game Boy, or exploit a glitch dimension you get this message, where the original Gold/Silver games were playable on DMG mode. It's like the same DMG incompatible message on Pokémon Crystal, but a much plainer one without a border.

My initial guess would be that extra space and/or memory was needed for Korean characters. The GBC has more memory available than the DMG. The Japanese versions mostly used hiragana and katakana, and didnt need that much space for the characters.

Posted by: Blaziken257
Date: 2011-11-12 23:28:42
This is surprising that Korean Gold and Silver only work on the GBC, since all other versions on G/S also work on the GB and the SGB. IIMarckus's explanation does make sense, though, since the Korean characters look larger than the kana or the letters in the other versions (there are probably more Korean characters than kana or letters too, although I could be wrong). I guess it's no big deal, because even back then I didn't know anybody who still had a regular Game Boy.

I also recall that it is impossible for other localizations to trade with South Korea in Generation IV, apparently this is now fixed in Generation V, but does the Hangul alphabet exist in non-Korean Black/White?

Yes, it does exist. I've gotten a few Korean Pokémon off the GTS before.

As a random side note, since the Korean versions of G/S use a different character set from the Japanese versions, as well as the western (e.g. English) versions, I'm guessing Korean versions, like the Japanese versions, are incompatible with all other versions.

Date: 2011-11-14 15:29:53

I've also heard about there being no Pal Park in Korean Pokémon Diamond and Pearl, but there are some contradicting sources which suggest that it still exists. The trivia section on Bulbapedia says "Because there were no Korean Generation 3 games, the Pal Park of Korean Generation 4 games can transfer Pokémon from a Generation 3 game of any language.", but am I right in thinking it was possible to do that anyway?

It's interesting how Gold and Silver were localized in South Korea, and the Generation I and III games weren't. According to NintendoWorldReport.com Pocket Monsters Geum and Pocket Monsters Eum were the collaboration of Nintendo teaming up with an external Korean company (sourced Dengeki Online) but I haven't done enough searching yet to figure out which company.

I attempted the Coin Case glitch on the Korean version and it did not result in a game reset, although this may have been because I did not have any coins and exploited item codes to obtain a Coin Case.

Bulbapedia is full of BS, I recall a post saying about a cloning glitch on colo that I proved wrong.

Also, I read that the korean Gen IV games only had korean fonts, and would display other fonts as blanks.

Posted by: Missing? NO!
Date: 2011-11-15 22:28:28
Do they get versions of the cartoon, Pokemon toys and merch, and other Pokemon products too?

Date: 2011-11-16 09:32:15

Do they get versions of the cartoon, Pokemon toys and merch, and other Pokemon products too?

Yeah, there have been Korean versions of the anime up to Generation IV, Korean Pokémon cards and a translated version of the Pokémon Adventures manga (more here).

There have been Pokémon toys and plushes too. Some Korean Pokémon plushes available from the recent 'Pokémon Story' event.

Nintendo's support for Pokémon in South Korea has grown a lot since Generation I (where there weren't any Generation I games localized in Korean). Relatively recently, there was the Korean version (August 25 to September 30, 2011) of the Global Link vote a Pokémon promotion (which is open on Pokémon.com now until November 30), which Rayquaza won, and Ditto came second (I assume because of the Imposter ability which makes Ditto with Choice Scarf a great revenge-killer near the end of a battle especially if it can copy your stat boosts). There have been a good amount of Korean Wi-Fi events too, and the Rugged Mountain Dream World area, launched today hit Japan and South Korea on the same day.

Bulbapedia is full of BS, I recall a post saying about a cloning glitch on colo that I proved wrong.

Also, I read that the korean Gen IV games only had korean fonts, and would display other fonts as blanks.

I think I saw that, you mean this revision? I agree that Bulbapedia is only reliable to a certain extent, for instance when Serebii.net suggested that Zekrom/Reshiram can be shiny in DragonSpiral Tower, but not the final N battle (i.e. fighting it in DragonSpiral Tower later by having full boxes). I recall it being copied over to Bulbapedia, until it was found that they can never be shiny no matter what, when Serebii removed it, which was probably the reason why the 'fan sites are not reliable sources' notice was added.

It's a real problem with Pokémon glitches, because not that many people of those who edit Bulbapedia research them. If there's something added which is cheat-only, sure enough it should get removed (and often does rather quickly) because it's technically not a glitch, but otherwise it might take a long time for some one to come and check for an article's integrity, especially if they aren't current generation glitches. For instance, Missingno. doesn't learn Pound at Level 128, only 'M does. Another example (you could call comical) was when somebody made an article about a 'glitch Pokémon' called "GLATRA", IIRC it was brought up on to the forums because nobody was there to immediately reject it.

On the error codes page, there are a lot of 'explanations' that don't seem to be checked so are just examples which may not always happen and it's a pain because there are no official explanations from Nintendo as to what causes them. Maybe it should be replaced with methods of getting them to appear, such as the 0 ERROR glitch.

Also, see this. My fault for perceiving the difference as true though.

Date: 2011-11-20 13:19:38
Yeah, that revision. I also saw someone saying the lavender town 1.0 music was real on BMGf because a video, recorded from an inaccurate emulator (VBA), had sound glitches.

I've also seen fishy stories online and IRL, about people seeing stuff that's not in game data, like newer Pokemon in Gen 1/2 games, or people on BMGf claiming they saw certain Pokemon/Legendaries early on in the game. I hate when people don't fact check.

Posted by: Missing? NO!
Date: 2011-11-21 00:14:46
Lavender Town 1.0 being the music that caused small children to get nightmares and headaches due to the high frequencies of the sounds?

Date: 2011-11-21 09:25:44
Yeah, the rumored music, and the video they were referring to was this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZOd_gFld9c

It supposedly has higher pitches, and was recorded with VBA-M, which is neither the most accurate GB emulator nor real hardware.

Posted by: Blaziken257
Date: 2011-11-21 10:36:30
Sound-wise, VBA-M is far more accurate than any other version of VBA (at least for GB and GBC games). I've tried plenty of GB/GBC games on VBA-M and other versions of VBA and every time, VBA-M sounds far closer to the real hardware. While I don't own any Japanese Pokémon cartridges, I'd be very surprised if it didn't sound like that on real hardware.

Date: 2011-11-21 16:27:37
True, for reference, here's a cap from real h/w:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEv8ZopHkBw

It's a 1.0 Red, with dokokashira.

Date: 2011-11-22 02:38:02
When you compare Lavender Town music on v1.0 Red/Green and v1.1 Red/Green there is no real difference. The original video claiming that there was, was uploaded in June 2010, a few months after the first Creepypasta concerning it appearing on pastebin in February 2010 (though I'm not sure if it was written before that and appeared before elsewhere), but part of its theme was blaming the Lavender Town music for illness; the main emphasis was on 'cursed' cartridges and a supposed programmer called Chiro Miura who apparently committed suicide shortly after the game was released. The Youtube video by youandretube25 claimed there was a difference between versions, though I'm not sure if this was just his own personal confirmation bias.

There are differences in the v1.0 and v.1.1 ROMs ('Rev A'), yet I haven't been able to verify any in-game differences between them. As is expected with different revisions of Game Boy games, the "Mask ROM Version" at offset 0x014C is changed to "01" in 'version 1.1', yet there are other differences I can't understand because of not knowing the Red/Green data structure (except this one offset which is by default the same between versions) or how ASM works. I wasn't sure if it was just a change in the programming language Game Freak/Nintendo used before converting it to ASM. I noticed that the offsets 0x69 to 0xFF were changed (before the cartridge header data even begins).  According to Tauwasser, in English Pokémon Crystal v1.1, Unix newlines were replaced with Windows newlines (0x0A –> 0x0D 0x0A and 0x0D –> 0x0D 0x0A) but the tileset data for the Mobile Stadium 2 link room was managed as if it was text, causing a glitch in graphics exclusive to version 1.1. (see here)

Also, I know that some speedrunners like hanzou say that the dokokashira door glitch doesn't function properly on Pocket Monsters Red and Green v1.1, however I've been able to successfully exploit the glitch on both versions using BGB. It was only emulators like VBA where the warping effects weren't present (and VBA didn't work for v1.0 either though I know that it apparently does in one of the fancy re-recording revisions which speedrunners use, but at least not in VBA 1.7.2. v 19.3). I don't have a physical v1.1 Red/Green cartridge to verify that it also works on Red/Green v1.1 but I was a little confused.

Maybe the prevented progress glitch was fixed in v1.1? I'll try it later. There is also a glitch in Red/Green where if you get the Potion out of the PC in the beginning of the game you can use it to open a party with no Pokémon (yet you can't do anything with it). In the localised version, we know that it doesn't do this; it brings up a message saying "You don't have a Pokémon!" instead.  Game Freak/Nintendo didn't fix this in the next revision, so the glitch remains in v1.1. I'd imagine it was probably fixed in Japanese Blue.