Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Pokémon Discussion

Korean Pokémon Gold/Silver is GBC only - Page 2

Re: Korean Pokémon Gold/Silver is GBC only

Posted by: Bent`
Date: 2011-11-23 20:07:48

Sound-wise, VBA-M is far more accurate than any other version of VBA (at least for GB and GBC games). I've tried plenty of GB/GBC games on VBA-M and other versions of VBA and every time, VBA-M sounds far closer to the real hardware. While I don't own any Japanese Pokémon cartridges, I'd be very surprised if it didn't sound like that on real hardware.

VBAM is probably the most accurate version of VBA, but its emulation is still not very accurate. I believe that both Gambatte and BGB use Blarggs sound core, which is very accurate. They are probably better emulators to trust when it comes to accurate sound emulation (or really, accurate emulation in general).

Posted by: Raven Freak
Date: 2011-12-06 17:03:34
I've always wondered why the boxart said Gameboy Color… :V It makes sense though, since they got the game in 2002.

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2011-12-09 17:58:42

I've always wondered why the boxart said Gameboy Color… :V It makes sense though, since they got the game in 2002.

Laternenschein from TCRF says that "the Korean version uses the Game Boy Color's second bank of VRAM for printing its text, rendering it incompatible with the regular Game Boy."

Surprisingly, there were still some licensed DMG games released in 2002. From TV Animation - One Piece: Maboroshi no Grand Line Boukenki! was apparently the last DMG game, released in June 2002, where as Doraemon no Study Boy : Kanji Yomikaki Master (released in July 2003!) was the last licensed Game Boy Color game ever.

Posted by: JacobGRocks
Date: 2011-12-10 19:34:23
It's not unusual for games to be released late in a system's lifespan, the PS2 still gets new sports games, the Xbox got Madden 09 in 08, well after devs stopped making multiplats for it, and the PS1 got games made until 2004 and production finally stopped in 2006.

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2011-12-11 12:43:58

It's not unusual for games to be released late in a system's lifespan, the PS2 still gets new sports games, the Xbox got Madden 09 in 08, well after devs stopped making multiplats for it, and the PS1 got games made until 2004 and production finally stopped in 2006.

Good point. I suppose it depends on how Nintendo defines how 'late' it is. Nintendo still continued support for the Game Boy Color, with the Nintendo Power service being discontinued as late as 2007, and Nintendo of America offering to replace the internal clock batteries in Game Boy/Color games (I believe) until relatively recently.

When it got to around late 2001, I don't think that Nintendo was very keen about publishing any more games, only licensing them and the last Nintendo published Game Boy Color game was Mobile Golf, developed by second party company Camelot released in May 2001, not including localizations of existing games. Gimmick Land (Tomato Adventure) and Densetsu no Starfy for the Game Boy Color developed by second-party developers (AlphaDream and TOSE) were still under development in late 2001, and they were postponed and moved to the Game Boy Advance because Nintendo claimed that the Game Boy Color was 'soon going to be obsolete'.

Incidentally, Nintendo wanted to make a successor to the upcoming Game Boy Color and before the announcement of the Game Boy Advance.  It was actually in development since 1995, but the project stopped in 1996. Maybe it was the so called "Project Atlantis" project mentioned in Total! and Game Informer.

Posted by: SatoMew
Date: 2015-02-19 11:41:07

I've also heard about there being no Pal Park in Korean Pokémon Diamond and Pearl, but there are some contradicting sources which suggest that it still exists. The trivia section on Bulbapedia says "Because there were no Korean Generation 3 games, the Pal Park of Korean Generation 4 games can transfer Pokémon from a Generation 3 game of any language.", but am I right in thinking it was possible to do that anyway?

IIRC, non-Korean Generation IV games have a check that verifies if the Generation III game being used is in the same language. If not, it won't allow you to use Pal Park but dual-slot mode still works because it's not region-locked.

I also recall that it is impossible for other localizations to trade with South Korea in Generation IV, apparently this is now fixed in Generation V, but does the Hangul alphabet exist in non-Korean Black/White?

Yes, the encoding issues with Korean were all fixed in the Generation V games. From my experience, in the Generation IV games, save data from non-Korean versions is recognized as invalid or corrupted by Korean games (I tried my Japanese Platinum save file in Korean Platinum and the game didn't recognize it so it skipped to the new game part).

[img]http://i.imgur.com/z3v3d1c.png[/img] [img]http://i.imgur.com/CweES6G.png[/img]

It's interesting how Gold and Silver were localized in South Korea, and the Generation I and III games weren't. According to NintendoWorldReport.com Pocket Monsters Geum and Pocket Monsters Eum were the collaboration of Nintendo teaming up with an external Korean company (sourced Dengeki Online) but I haven't done enough searching yet to figure out which company.

The company was Hyundai. The Nintendo 64 was released there as the Hyundai Comboy 64, for example. But I'm not sure of how they sorted things out in terms of the Game Boy or the Game Boy Color. According to Bulbapedia, South Korea had bans on Japanese products prior to 2004, which would explain why consistent releases of the core series Pokémon games there only started with Diamond and Pearl in 2008 (the South Korean branches of Nintendo and The Pokémon Company were both created in 2006).

Posted by: SM
Date: 2015-02-19 23:30:54

It's interesting how Gold and Silver were localized in South Korea, and the Generation I and III games weren't. According to NintendoWorldReport.com Pocket Monsters Geum and Pocket Monsters Eum were the collaboration of Nintendo teaming up with an external Korean company (sourced Dengeki Online) but I haven't done enough searching yet to figure out which company.

The company was Hyundai. The Nintendo 64 was released there as the Hyundai Comboy 64, for example. But I'm not sure of how they sorted things out in terms of the Game Boy or the Game Boy Color. According to Bulbapedia, South Korea had bans on Japanese products prior to 2004, which would explain why consistent releases of the core series Pokémon games there only started with Diamond and Pearl in 2008 (the South Korean branches of Nintendo and The Pokémon Company were both created in 2006).

Hyundai released Game Boy as 'Mini Comboy'. (Samsung already had been sold Sega console as 'Gameboy[Gemboy]' before Hyundai sold Nintendo console as Comboy.)
But they stopped importing Nintendo's products before Pokemon 1st generation games were released because of economic issues.
Even though games were not released, Pokemon get popular in Korea by animation series. I think Pocket Monsters Geum/Eun could be released because of this popularity.
And the external company was Daewon(comic book company), not hyundai.

Date: 2015-02-20 10:34:16

Hyundai released Game Boy as 'Mini Comboy'. (Samsung already had been sold Sega console as 'Gameboy[Gemboy]' before Hyundai sold Nintendo console as Comboy.)
But they stopped importing Nintendo's products before Pokemon 1st generation games were released because of economic issues.
Even though games were not released, Pokemon get popular in Korea by animation series. I think Pocket Monsters Geum/Eun could be released because of this popularity.
And the external company was Daewon(comic book company), not hyundai.

Thanks for the clarification! :)

In the Japanese versions, Red's console is a Nintendo 64 but it's called (Roku-Yon, ), which to the best of my knowledge is a popular nickname for the console in Japan; the name is actually wordplay since it means Six-Four.

In the Korean versions, it's called 64, which is "Nintendo 64" in Korean (source). It's odd how they didn't change it to reflect the console's name there.

[img]http://i.imgur.com/teVfuIS.png[/img] [img]http://i.imgur.com/LCbmOQ9.png[/img]

Another change in the Korean versions was the removal of the setting for controlling the quality of prints. SM, was the Game Boy Printer released over there? Based on this, I assume that the answer is no but I want to confirm this tidbit.

[img]http://i.imgur.com/fYSipTf.png[/img] [img]http://i.imgur.com/jfOvfys.png[/img]

Date: 2015-02-21 01:50:03

Thanks for the clarification! :)

In the Japanese versions, Red's console is a Nintendo 64 but it's called (Roku-Yon, ), which to the best of my knowledge is a popular nickname for the console in Japan; the name is actually wordplay since it means Six-Four.

In the Korean versions, it's called 64, which is "Nintendo 64" in Korean (source). It's odd how they didn't change it to reflect the console's name there.

[img]http://i.imgur.com/teVfuIS.png[/img] [img]http://i.imgur.com/LCbmOQ9.png[/img]

I think translation of Pocket Monsters Geum / Eun was based on English version.
Because some mistranslations in them look like bad liberal translation of English version.
Hyundai released Nintendo 64 as Hyundai Comboy 64 in 1997 but it didn't get popularity.

So I think they didn't care about that name and followed the original name.

Another change in the Korean versions was the removal of the setting for controlling the quality of prints. SM, was the Game Boy Printer released over there? Based on this, I assume that the answer is no but I want to confirm this tidbit.

[img]http://i.imgur.com/fYSipTf.png[/img] [img]http://i.imgur.com/jfOvfys.png[/img]

Daewon sold GBC since 1999(and GBA) but I never heard about they released Game Boy Printer.

They also imported Pokemon 3rd generation games(English version) until Nintendo Korea was published in 2006.

Date: 2015-02-21 06:10:56

Because some mistranslations in them look like bad liberal translation of English version.

The unused Super Game Boy borders in the Korean versions also match those of the English versions, plus the credits are in English.

Out of curiosity, what does the old man in Viridian City say in Korean?

I also have a suggestion: you could make a blog post comparing the N64 references, the SGB borders, and the old man's speech.

For those that don't know, SM has a blog (http://blog.naver.com/14239). I found some of his posts interesting since he compares the Japanese, English, and Korean versions of Gold and Silver side-by-side. I don't understand the Korean language but the pictures help in understanding the subject.

Hyundai released Nintendo 64 as Hyundai Comboy 64 in 1997 but it didn't get popularity.

So I think they didn't care about that name and followed the original name.

Daewon sold GBC since 1998(and GBA) but I never heard about they released Game Boy Printer.

They also imported Pokemon 3rd generation games(English version) until Nintendo Korea was published in 2006.

Thanks for the information.

The GBA was only released in 2001 in Japan. When did Daewon release it in South Korea?

Date: 2015-02-21 07:58:38

Out of curiosity, what does the old man in Viridian City say in Korean?

The dialogue starts with heavy breathe and "Wait! Listen to me!". He doesn't speak anything about coffee or drink.

The GBA was only released in 2001 in Japan. When did Daewon release it in South Korea?

I can find some articles about GBA released in 2002.
http://www.thisisgame.com/webzine/community/tboard/?board=38&n=163102

Daewon sold GBC since 1998(and GBA) but I never heard about they released Game Boy Printer.

And GBC was actually released in 2000.
http://bbs2.ruliweb.daum.net/gaia/do/ruliweb/default/nds/84/read?bbsId=G003&itemId=5&articleId=1372618

Date: 2015-02-21 08:20:00

The dialogue starts with heavy breathe and "Wait! Listen to me!". He doesn't speak anything about coffee or drink.

Interesting. His English dialogue is:

Hey, kid! I just
had a double shot
of espresso, and
I am wired!

I need to talk to
someone, so you'll
have to do!

I might not look
like much now, but
I was an expert at
catching POKéMON.

Do you believe me?

While his Japanese dialogue is:

っ!ひっくまち!
のはなき!

みては
つまの
まっ!

てくの

The interesting part is the first (っ!ひっくまち!のはなき!).

My translation:

"Hey! Gulp… Wait! Listen to what I have to say!"

This means that the Korean text is closer to the original Japanese text. The Korean versions appear to be based off the English versions but with many of the changes reverted so that they match the Japanese versions better.

I can find some articles about GBA released in 2002.
http://www.thisisgame.com/webzine/community/tboard/?board=38&n=163102

And GBC was actually released in 2000.
http://bbs2.ruliweb.daum.net/gaia/do/ruliweb/default/nds/84/read?bbsId=G003&itemId=5&articleId=1372618

Thanks for the links! :)

Date: 2015-11-24 18:08:10
Here's what happens if you force Korean Gold/Silver to run in Game Boy mode.

Posted by: SCared_Fir3
Date: 2015-12-19 00:27:57
I'm late to the party but the differences between Korean/English releases with Nintendo games has always fascinated me (mainly Pokemon & Melee) considering I'm learning Korean.
Slightly off-topic, but Daewon was the same company that helped localize/release Super Smash Bros. Melee ( 매 라 DX) in Korea. Not much is known about the release, I believe it's basically the PAL version translated into Korean. (so no bug-fixes/balances/etc. Obligatory NTSC is best version Kappa) A lot of people don't realize that games like GSC and Melee WERE released in Korea, probably because Nintendo Korea wasn't a thing yet. But they still find their ways of getting released/imported over there.

Also SM I'm definitely going to check out your blog, I'm really interested in these differences between the games. (even if I don't understand everything)

This makes sense considering some Korean phrases/words are borrowed from English, at least from what I've seen. So if they're doing a literal translation of the English version as opposed to the Japanese, it makes sense why we would see 64 instead of Hyundai Comboy 64 or .

Anyway I'll stop rambling. It's been awhile since I've made an "actual" post on GCLF lmaoooo.