Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Pokémon Discussion

I'm giving up pokemon - Page 1

I'm giving up pokemon

Posted by: tachi
Date: 2013-04-27 18:01:36
Okay, I'm just done with having to buy a new console every time a pokemon game comes out, and Pokemon has lost something that really made it fun to me. When I was first introduced, I was in pre school and couldn't read. My mom bought me the gameboy color and I had 2 games with it. Super Mario bros Deluxe, and Pokemon blue version. Being a mario fan ever since Super Mario World with the SNES, I was immediately drawn to the Mario game. Well, then I tried the Blue version and I couldn't even read, but I enjoyed it more than any other game I've played. The music, the exploration, the lively towns with people, I was stunned. Eventually in pre school, I learned how to read at 4 years old. I swear, after I grew tired of my sister reading the text in the game to me, I was determined. I learned how to read from this magnificent game. I remember accidentally releasing my charizard, because I had no idea what release meant at the time. That didn't stop me from getting a Dodrio who was my first lvl 100 pokemon in my life. In elementary school there was kids around me who shared the love of the game as much as me. When they announced Yellow, I had to get it. It had Pikachu who talked in the game. (seriously, this was amazing at the time) Then Pokemon Stadium, then gold and silver. I was in heaven. After Crystal, my family started getting into havoc with the divorce of my step father. I did play ruby/saphire, and even black… but the thing it lost to me was it's charm. Pokemon slowly died to me, and as of today is dead. I haven't picked up a pokemon game since black version, which I got halfway through and given to a college chick which I shared class with. 

EDIT: To be clear, I'm not saying the old games were better, I'm saying they've had charm that I don't see in the newer games. Black version did feel very similar, and felt great, but I have a pink ds i got 50 cents from a yard sale with a cracked touch screen. I never got the full experience, and (of course) I didn't care for the new designs, and the new attacks felt different. (It felt like it didn't do as much as something like ember when you first got it in the old games. perhaps it was the stats, or the animation of the HP bar… i don't know.) But anyways, I don't feel like spending a ton of money on a new DS, and seeing the generation 6 made me lose the last bit of interest I've had after generation 3.

I will seek to get the game that has given me some of the best times in my life, Blue version. After that, I'm pokemon'd out.
(okay maybe stadium, and red for my sister… but that's it…)

I guess to avoid making this thread useless, post your first memories of the game. I would like what other people thought, what experiences they've had, and how it affected them. After all, this website wouldn't be possible without the love and memories of the game.

Re: I'm giving up pokemon

Posted by: Bert
Date: 2013-04-27 21:40:16
My first Pokémon game was Crystal version. I got on Christmas when I was in 3rd grade in 2001.

It was like a whole new experience. I had never played a Pokémon game before, so I was completely floored when I started playing. My first starter was Chikorita whom I had eventually evolved into a level 100 Meganium. I remember the very first time I encountered one of the Legendary Beasts (that music!), Entei, to be precise. I remember when I finally beat Morty's fucking Gengar, then dominating the League with my level 60-something Meganium and five other random 'Mons (I think one of 'em was Suicune). I remember reaching the peak of Mt. Silver and taking on Red. You wouldn't believe the amount of shinies I saw when I was younger; it's like they were drawn to me, or something.

My second game was Yellow version, which I got for my ninth birthday. My prized Pokémon on that game was a Pidgeot named Birdy because I was so creative. I was originally going to box it after beating Brock, but Birdy was so fucking awesome that I used him for pretty much every battle in the game, including Lt. Surge and the League. Yeah, Blue, that's a nice Jolteon you got there, but here, have a Sky Attack from my level 76 flying death machine.

Yellow and Crystal are probably my top two favorite games in Pokémon, and yeah, nostalgia most certainly has something to do about it. But I made shitloads of memories playing those games. Although both my level 100 Meganium and my level 81 Pidgeot are long, long gone, you never forget making such accomplishments and memories.

Posted by: Bent`
Date: 2013-05-01 01:21:53
Welcome to 2009.

Date: 2013-05-01 02:02:23

Welcome to 2009.

XD I forgot you did that.

Well, at least I didn't bump it, right?
however, I disagree with you about the first generation being "pretty boring, and an obvious moneygrab."
Let's think of it like this, if you saw the second generation and looked at the first gen, it looks worse. But if you don't know about the second gen, you don't see the flaws in the first gen because you have nothing to compare it with. And it wasn't a moneygrab. The guy who had the idea of it proposed it to Nintendo numerous of times, and kept getting rejected. He was inspired by those toy capsules you get with a quarter in the machines, which led him to create pokemon. If he was doing it just for the money, he would of dropped his project and kept helping make more Mario, and Legend of Zelda games, like nintendo wanted him to do, which may lead to stale games in both those series.

Besides the first gen had one thing second doesn't…. K.O. by spamming WRAP with a pokemon with high SPEED. :D

Date: 2013-05-01 15:13:16
Besides the first gen had one thing second doesn't…. K.O. by spamming WRAP with a pokemon with high SPEED.

Don't forget Toxic + Leech Seed combo.

Date: 2013-05-01 16:10:17

Don't forget Toxic + Leech Seed combo.

Pfft pleeeeaase. Sleep and confusion combo, and then sand attack them the whole time they are asleep. (if anybody noticed, the stat drops did significance in the first gen. Second gen they seemed to be dumbed down a bit.)

Date: 2013-05-02 22:08:24
Or just Sand Attack in general.

Date: 2013-05-02 23:55:07
It wasn't just Sand Attack. Remember going to the Viridian forest and battling the metapods? Remember how much PP (*snickers* pee pee…) you wasted until you got your new attack? The Bug Catcher's Metapod would have a sliver on the bar, you would use scratch or tackle, and it still lived to mock you with another Harden. Those stat changes were dramatic!

Posted by: SCared_Fir3
Date: 2013-05-05 11:00:41
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=gen%20wunner

Date: 2013-05-05 22:49:47

Actually that doesn't define me. I would recommend pokemon black and white (even with the broken screen, I liked the game right away after the first 10 minutes.) to anybody who isn't familiar with the series, but I am personally giving up trying to keep up and buy the new consoles and games every year. I do feel that the original series had more of an impact if that was your first game, but that's mainly due to nostalgia.

Like I said in the first post, I am not saying the older games were better, but they were in good memories. I would just prefer to just leave it as my childhood fun, rather than it turn into a modern disappointment.

Date: 2013-05-06 11:41:44

Actually that doesn't define me. I would recommend pokemon black and white (even with the broken screen, I liked the game right away after the first 10 minutes.) to anybody who isn't familiar with the series, but I am personally giving up trying to keep up and buy the new consoles and games every year. I do feel that the original series had more of an impact if that was your first game, but that's mainly due to nostalgia.

Like I said in the first post, I am not saying the older games were better, but they were in good memories. I would just prefer to just leave it as my childhood fun, rather than it turn into a modern disappointment.

Personally if I was giving up I'd TRY X&Y first and then decide but whatever, your choice. The graphics and gameplay look amazing from what they've shown us.

Date: 2013-05-06 16:28:51

Personally if I was giving up I'd TRY X&Y first and then decide but whatever, your choice. The graphics and gameplay look amazing from what they've shown us.

can't afford a 3ds.
:P

Date: 2013-05-06 23:27:10

can't afford a 3ds.

Neither can I, that's why I'm saving up until X&Y

Date: 2013-05-07 01:19:49

can't afford a 3ds.

Neither can I, that's why I'm saving up until X&Y

I mean I won't be able to afford it for a while. I have college, bills, and projects I'm working on. .
Trying to build guitars, and amps. I'm researching on how to build a motherboard, designing an independent game with all the resources made from scratch, and finding cheap tools on the side.

But wait…. X…Y..

[img]http://www.pokelol.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/pokemonz.png[/img]
Awww yeeeaaaahh!
[size=2pt]yeah ok, i know that joke is old…[/size]

Posted by: MrGlitch
Date: 2013-05-13 20:43:47
The most recent Pokemon game I have is Silver.

The new ones just don't do it for me…having however many hundred Pokemon out there seems more like a clusterfuck than anything else.

Pokemon as a series can be given credit for sticking to the same basic game formula for so many years (unlike what happened with, say, Sonic the Hedgehog). I'm just not a fan of its modern incarnation.