Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Pokémon Discussion

Conquering the trading system (X/Y) - Page 1

Conquering the trading system (X/Y)

Posted by: VaeporSage
Date: 2014-05-04 17:16:23
Right now, I feel like sharing my paperclip-trade style of Pokemon trading with you.  ;)

Since Christmas when I got Y, I haven't migrated or cloned anything. Nevertheless, I have obtained 60+ shinies, ~55 events and a full living dex from scratch.

I have invested way too much time in this scheme (nearly 500 hours total, probably started hardcore trading about 70 hours in), but it's fairly simple and consistently effective. You most definitely will not have to input anywhere near that amount of time.

Here goes.

1: Get Kricketot.

Kricketot is probably the godliest thing you can put on the GTS. I can guarantee you that if you hatch a Kricketot and put it up there, you will get Latios, Latias, Kyogre, Kyurem, Regice, whatever legendary you want. No joke. If you have Balm Mushrooms in bulk, those help, but they're not a necessity.

Kricketot is not found in Gen VI. In Gen V, it is obtained only by breeding a Kricketune. (And come on now, no-one did that.) As a result, Kricketots are disproportionately valued to a hilarious degree - perhaps by Pokedex collectors most of all. Breed boxes of these and you will profit.  8)

On average, it takes about 8 hours for someone to take up your Kricketot. It can be quicker if you ask for something lesser such as Azelf. On weekends, more people view your stuff also.

Put in a friendly message as you stick up the Kricketot if you like - it might loosen people up into giving away their once-off legends for something they know you just hatched and farmed.

Personally, I've never put one up for Xerneas or Yveltal. These are very commonly asked for when people put up Kricketots. However, I do know that if you take two minutes to raise it up to Lv.10 for a Kricketune, you will almost certainly get your Xerneas/Yveltal.  ;)

2: Hunt on the GTS.

This is the hardest step. You may be content with your pile of legendaries, but if you want to take it further, here's how. Simply look through all the Pokemon of which you would like a shiny form. You want a shiny Honedge? No harm in looking. Eventually, you will definitely come across some naive fool offering up their rarest stuff for mere Xerneases, Ho-Ohs and such - which it only took you a Kricketot to get!.  ::)

This could take 5 minutes, 10 minutes, an hour, who knows. But be patient with the GTS. You will be surprised at the amount of people who couldn't care for shinies and would prefer to own the Pokemon they see on the box. You can get really cool stuff this way - so far my best was a shiny Heatran offered up for my Xerneas. You may get hacks; but you have lost only a Kricketot to get it.

Make sure to look only at the first 5 Pokemon or so in each species. Any further than that are the ones that haven't been traded for. Shinies can go quick, but to be honest, it's rare that someone will get in ahead of you to snatch it if you find the shiny as the first one listed.

Make sure to use the blue arrow icon on the bottom of the screen to quickly navigate through your boxes when swiping your shinies.

If this sounds tedious, I can assure you that it is nothing to the monotony of chain fishing, Masuda hatching or soft resetting.

3: Shinies for events.

Depending on your outlook, you may prefer to own shinies rather than events. Personally, I disagree. Scan through the list of people wanting to trade from time to time. Sometimes you will have what they want.

This really comes down to the person you trade with, so hunt your prey well. If they really want a particular shiny and they're bored or otherwise unimpressed with their event, they will eagerly hand it over. If you have a wide range of shinies, feel free to flaunt it! Advertise it in your profile. ("FT:20+ shinies!:D) etc.

Always trade up. Trading your shiny Kecleon for a shiny Metagross is a no-brainer. Certain events are not worth trading for, such as the Bank Celebi. But really, knowing what people want more is common sense based. One thing that can really skew people in favour of a shiny is its level. Training your shinies can make them appear more valuable to your trade partner, even if it's just a lame Beedrill or something.

If you do not use voice chat, it is important to have a wide range of messages. Nickname some Pokemon "No thanks", "Yes please", "Any shinies?" and so on to keep trading flowing nicely.

If I think of any other tips to help, I'll make sure to add them in here. But with just the information here, I think you can accumulate a decent collection. Good luck to all who give this a shot!  ;)

Re: Conquering the trading system (X/Y)

Posted by: Tsukuu
Date: 2014-05-04 17:44:34
I'll read that later, but I'm pretty sure rare Vivillons and Scatterbugs are more worth. Back when my native was Savanna (I hadn't set my state so it wasn't really supposed to be my pattern) I could get anything and its not even that rare. Later I restarted my game and got my local Jungle pattern (which is pretty rare), and it works even better. Vivillons have a bit of trouble since they're so traded on the GTS that they sometimes take a delay to show up everywhere, but Scatterbugs work just fine (the pattern stated on description should match your location or else it'll look fishy).

But wow, I never had thought Kricketot was so much valued. I personally got mine really easy back when bank had just been released.

Last legendary I got with a Jungle Vivillon was a Kyurem. They gave it in literally 2 minutes, but I'm pretty sure that was pure luck. I usually put a PP Up or something that'll just set your poké apart from the others, not that it's valuable or anything.

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2014-05-04 17:50:17

But wow, I never had thought Kricketot was so much valued. I personally got mine really easy back when bank had just been released.

That surprised me, too.

Glameow is pretty uncommon as well, you can only find it in Hidden Grottoes in White 2 without migrating, and maybe Purugly is more common than Glameow because people would like to evolve it to fill the dex in Generation V.

Date: 2014-05-04 17:55:03

I'll read that later, but I'm pretty sure rare Vivillons and Scatterbugs are more worth.

You may well be right in that the Scatterbugs from Saudi Arabia/Hawaii/etc. are more effective than Kricketot. I just don't have that option open to me, of course. Definitely a smart thing to set the region to the rarest zones. :P

I know Glameow is pretty uncommon, you can only find it in Hidden Grottoes in White 2, and maybe Purugly is more common because people would like to evolve it to fill the dex in Generation V.

You're right: Glameow and Purugly are both very effective options in obtaining stuff you want. In fact, before discovering how crazy Kricketot is, Puruglies were my main method of getting legends.

However, Glameow will not produce the goods for you (you will get Electivires, Porygon-Z's, etc. but not legends), and Kricketot is vastly more convenient for mass production than Purugly.  ;)

Plus, you'll be surprised to know that Kricketot is more valued than Purugly. Purugly won't get you Suicunes, Latiases or the like; but Kricketot can go even higher than that to Zekroms, Rayquazas and so on.

Date: 2014-05-04 17:59:30
Here's my estimation for Vivillon patterns' value based on my own experiences, but might be inaccurate as of now: (rare > less rare >> even less rare)

Sandstorm > Tundra > Ocean = Monsoon > Jungle (my native) = Archipelago >> Sun = Icy Snow = River >> Meadow > Garden >> Savanna > Marine > Continental > High Plains >> Polar >>> Modern >>>>>>>>>>>>> Elegant

Note that that's GTS value. It's pretty similar on /r/Vivillon etc, except Elegant breeders are pretty valued.

Assuming you're Irish, you should have Garden pattern. It should work I guess, since I had successful results with Savanna which, imo, is somewhat less rare.

Date: 2014-05-04 18:03:51

Assuming you're Irish, you should have Garden pattern. It should work I guess, since I had successful results with Savanna which, imo, is somewhat less rare.

That's a surprise! I would've thought that UK/NZ (same as Irish) Vivillons would be fairly common.

I'll give it a shot, I guess.  :P

Date: 2014-05-04 18:07:20

That's a surprise! I would've thought that UK/NZ (same as Irish) Vivillons would be fairly common.

I'll give it a shot, I guess.  :P

Pretty much any pattern that isn't Polar, Elegant and Modern will get you something! :P

I was surprised High Plains got me legendaries back then. It's so damn common.

Date: 2014-05-04 18:14:12
Another tip which has worked well for me: look for Lv.91+ Regigigas.

It's fairly common for people to offer up their event Regigigases (TRU, EUMR09, etc.) for normal legends like Cresselia, Yveltals of a particular level, Latios and others. When trading one-on-one with strangers, Regigigases like these will sometimes draw event-hunters into giving you cool shinies or other, better events.

Event Regigigas is still pretty common due to the sheer number of them distributed at the time, but it's definitely better value-wise than whatever else you get for your Kricketot/Scatterbug.

Posted by: luckytyphlosion
Date: 2014-05-04 18:41:39
Or you could migrate a Pokemon with Pokerus from Gen 3 Emerald.

If TheZZAZZGlitch finds arbitrary code in Gen 3, GTS would be soo broken. In addition to getting all 386 Emerald Pokémon, you can also make any one shiny/6IV/whatever you want.

Maybe he'll write a code to "Mask" Glitch moves so they can be transferred to Gen 6, which can be used for arbitrary code. :P

Then the GTS would be non-existent.

Posted by: pokechu22
Date: 2014-05-04 18:58:34

If TheZZAZZGlitch finds arbitrary code in Gen 3, GTS would be soo broken. In addition to getting all 386 Emerald Pokémon, you can also make any one shiny/6IV/whatever you want.

Maybe he'll write a code to "Mask" Glitch moves so they can be transferred to Gen 6, which can be used for arbitrary code. :P

I've yet to see this asked: What happens if Decamarks are transferred to the 4th gen, where they have a valid ID?  Does the game accept them?

Posted by: OwnageMuch
Date: 2014-05-04 23:28:28

I've yet to see this asked: What happens if Decamarks are transferred to the 4th gen, where they have a valid ID?  Does the game accept them?

I'd imagine that it would have some sort of failsafe that stopped you, I would test it on my cart and give you a definitive answer but I value my save files too much.

Date: 2014-05-05 08:55:09

No-one is really going to jump through any hoops just for Pokérus.  :(

For one thing, it's not actually necessary for EV training. If someone wants Pokérus that badly, they can always just spend 15 minutes on Wonder Trade. It's very likely that one you're given will carry it.

I was lucky enough to get Pokérus in my own game just before I reached Romant-sous-Bois (played it in French, don't know its English name).

If TheZZAZZGlitch finds arbitrary code in Gen 3, GTS would be soo broken.

I wonder how he's getting on. I wish him good luck, that's for sure!  ;D

Date: 2014-05-15 20:08:23
Hadn't thought of this before, but Enigma Berry hugely incrases the Pokémon's value and it's not a big deal once you get one (since you can plant and harvest a lot of them using Boost Mulch). I instantly gave up the Kyurem from my Living dex for a Continental holding it (although I got another Kyurem in less than 10 minutes using my native Jungle :P). But this is a good thing to sum up with the Kricketots, if you have a common Vivillon pattern and don't want to scam people with Scatterbugs.

Posted by: luckytyphlosion
Date: 2014-05-15 20:35:51
what about legendaries like Deoxys and Jirachi. Would they be worthful in the GTS?  :)

What if I made them 6IV Shiny Pre-EV Trained with arbitrary code?

Date: 2014-05-15 20:39:51
Event pokémon can't be traded over the GTS. Buuuuut they can be asked. They still didn't fix the impossible trades. <_<