Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Pokémon Discussion

Team size for playing through the game - Page 3

Re: Team size for playing through the game

Posted by: Charmy
Date: 2016-09-15 07:12:57

Blue. Who remains Gary/Shigeru in my head anyway.

You should said that right away, even though GREEN is a valid string in G\S\C.

I'd still like to know what "rolling a growth rate" is!

I think it's "getting epic DV's\IV's".

Posted by: Yeniaul
Date: 2016-09-15 17:32:22

I'd still like to know what "rolling a growth rate" is!

You… needed to explain that? That's… what…

Posted by: IceFlame
Date: 2016-09-15 18:31:45

You… needed to explain that? That's… what…

OK… the rest of the paragraph that I was querying still doesn't make any sense. But if you don't think it needs explaining, I guess there's nothing important in it. (I thought maybe you knew something I didn't about this, but apparently not.)

Normally, "growth rate" refers to the amount of EXP needed to gain levels.

Blue. Who remains Gary/Shigeru in my head anyway.

You should said that right away, even though GREEN is a valid string in G\S\C.

I'm playing in Japanese and writing posts about it in English. There might still be other things where people go "what's that?"

Posted by: IceFlame
Date: 2016-11-04 19:15:28
Which starter is best actually has a lot to do with the team size question. The grass starters only learn Grass and Normal attacks, so are not very versatile. They are bad to solo with, and not very helpful in a small team, but a team of 6 might well want a grass type (and the starters are good for that).

In Gen 1, Venusaur has the best Special, but this is offset by the fact there is no Grass equivalent of Surf or Flamethrower. Venusaur also learns Sleep Powder which is good to have. In Gen 2, the best Special Attack is on Typhlosion, and no Sleep Powder for Meganium.

I'm playing through Gold with a team of 6, so will see how that goes.

Theme: Get 6 Pokémon, before going into Union Cave, who haven't been in my team before. Keep them all at similar levels. Mostly playing on Shift or it would be too hard to keep them at similar levels, but tried the most difficult boss battles on Set to see how that went. Allowed a Psyduck HM slave with Whirlpool and Waterfall for the very short time when she was needed (and she could actually have had Strength too).

In the first half of the game before I could afford many items, there was lot more running back to the Pokémon Centre than usual, and it was a bit of a drag. Fought most of the trainers except I didn't go into the southeast part of Kanto.

Before E4:

Quagsire L36 @ Nevermeltice
Surf
Strength
Earthquake
Ice Punch

Meganium L35 @ Miracle Seed
Razor Leaf
Body Slam
Synthesis
Reflect

Ampharos L35 @ Charcoal
Thunderpunch
Fire Punch
Headbutt
Thunder Wave

Ariados L34 @ King's Rock
Dig
Nightshade
Scary Face
Flash

Noctowl L34 @ Sharp Beak
Fly
Peck
Reflect
Hypnosis

Furret L34 @ Pink Ribbon
Return
Mud-slap
Ice Punch
Cut

Fought the E4 on Set. Will and Koga can be fought without X items. Set up Meganium on Bruno's opening Hitmontop. Set up Furret on Karen's opening Umbreon. Ampharos got Lance's Gyarados and paralyzed the first Dragonite, then set up Quagsire - the Dragonite got a few chances to Hyper Beam Quagsire so needed to hope it didn't crit. Had to retry Lance a few times before getting it right. Ariados and Noctowl didn't do anything here.

14 Badges (all except Sabrina and Blue):

Everyone L44
Ampharos: Headbutt -> Light Screen
Ariados @ Leftovers
Noctowl: Peck -> Confusion (and picked up the other Leftovers after Sabrina)
Furret: Ice Punch -> Rest (not useful but neither was Ice Punch)
Meganium: should have learned Light Screen but I didn't for some reason

Sabrina was tricky. Settled on using Ampharos for the whole fight. The opening Espeon always starts with Sand-Attack. I used Light Screen, X Accuracy, Thunder Wave, X Speed. If Light Screen is going to drop on the turn that we KO the Mr Mime, stall one turn then put it back up. Then Alakazam should go OK too.

Blue is no trouble on Shift - just switch in an effective Pokémon each time, and Revive if necessary. I also beat him on Set without X items, in a very close fight. Alternatively, Blue's opening Pidgeot has no highly damaging attack and is overly fond of Mirror Move, so we can spam X items. Quagsire is best for sweeping here.

Now Red is a problem. There's no X Special Def in Gen 2, so Espeon/Blastoise/Charizard can 1-hit anyone in my team unless they're resistant or have a Light Screen up.
Start by sending out Quagsire against the opening Pikachu and use a Guard Spec to block Charm.
First thought is for Quagsire to set up on Pikachu. Quagsire 2-hits Venusaur (who stupidly tries to use Solarbeam instead of Giga Drain), 1-hits Espeon, 2-hits Snorlax, but then can't do anything to avoid being OHKO'd by Blastoise. Can we replace Strength with anything? Hyper Beam does the same damage as Earthquake. (X-Accuracy-abusing) DynamicPunch gives a 50% chance of winning from this point.
Alternatively, Ariados can mess up Venusaur with Flash, then one of Ampharos/Meganium/Noctowl can set up, or Furret after Venusaur runs out of PP.
Noctowl with X-Accuracy-abusing Hypnosis? His damage output is rather low, so would still need brilliant luck, since if any special attacker wakes up it's over. Fly/Return/Hypnosis/DreamEater doesn't do too badly, but probably also no better than 50%.
Ampharos can beat Espeon, but then gets stuck on Snorlax due to not being able to do enough damage (Snorlax's Amnesia hurts here). Replacing Thunderpunch with (X-Accuracy-abusing) Thunder solves it. This seems to be a pretty reliable strategy. Sadly, I hacked this and don't actually have 110k credits. Should have bought a TM25 instead of some of those healing items!

Even if we don't count Red, I certainly wouldn't recommend this to a beginner! Stick with 3!