Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Pokémon Discussion

Trades between RBY and Pokémon Sun and Moon - Page 1

Trades between RBY and Pokémon Sun and Moon

Posted by: Nihil
Date: 2016-09-06 22:16:08
  That is something I heard about and that has me really excited! : ) Althought I don't know the technicalities of it all, I am very curious as to how they will prevent the transfer of glitch pokémon? Especially taken into account how astoundingly well Generation 2 did it ( *chuckle!* )
    Whatever the case, while I highly doubt there will be such a thing as a 2.0 Johto guard glitch, I am really hoping they will at least let our cute Mews through! And it will definitively be a blast to get starters all the way from Kanto to Alola!
    What you guys think? Anyone else really excited about this too? : )c Do you think the transfer will be direct or via PokéBank?

Re: Trades between RBY and Pokémon Sun and Moon

Posted by: camper
Date: 2016-09-07 00:49:31
I wonder if it'll block all Jynx not named LOLA or equivalent or caught in Japanese games.

Posted by: ISSOtm
Date: 2016-09-07 01:12:00
THe problem with Gen 2 was that the developers were not aware of all possible glitch Pokémon ; furthermore, they put some error traps (such as checking the traded Pokémon's type against the legit type, verify attacks, etc. to prevent non-legit Pokémon to be traded. (I wonder if Pikachu is allowed to SURF :P)

In theory, Sun and Moon should have better protections, since the developers have more room for "legit-checking".
Though, we're talking about Game Freak here, so there's still the chance they make simple assertions that a Pokémon has to meet to be qualified for transfer, now say hello to 8F !

Though, the transfer will have to go through the Poké Bank, which I heard (I never used it ^^) is very strict with Pokémon, even refusing legit Pokémon sometimes. So… we'll see.

Posted by: Yeniaul
Date: 2016-09-07 06:29:04
We could "walk it up" like weird people… y'know, Gen 1>2, 2>3,3>4,4>5,5>6(?),6>7… you'd need multiple systems though…

Date: 2016-09-07 08:30:51
It's not possible to transfer from G2 to G4. However I think I remember a method to transfer from any gen to G4 using à cart save dumper and some GTS spoofing, so it's not very versatile, plus it seems super NOT possible for Glitch Pokémon.

Date: 2016-09-07 10:36:28

It's not possible to transfer from G2 to G4. However I think I remember a method to transfer from any gen to G4 using à cart save dumper and some GTS spoofing, so it's not very versatile, plus it seems super NOT possible for Glitch Pokémon.
If I remember right you can trade Gen 3 to 4 with the weird importer thing and 2 with 3 so there you go.

Date: 2016-09-07 13:15:54
Sorry, I pressed the wrong key on my phone keyboard. Damn too big fingers ! You cannot trade between 2 and 3. 3 and 4 is fine - I've already done it multiple times.

Posted by: Charmy
Date: 2016-09-07 13:23:41
From what i know, NO glitches were fixed in the VC versions, only 8F\9F\w  sm codes might stop working properly.
If Wonder Trade will be in Gen 7 then expect lots of glitched Mew's Nidoking's and any other Mew Trick-ed Pokémon.

If I remember right you can trade Gen 3 to 4 with the weird importer thing and 2 with 3 so there you go.

The first part is correct, you can transfer Gen 3 Pokémon to Gen 4 via Pal Park, 4 to 5 with some "trading stuff" and 5 to 6 with Poké Transporter and Pokémon Bank.
Second part is wrong, you can however use external tools to import the Pokémon to a Gen 3 save then trade it higher.

THe problem with Gen 2 was that the developers were not aware of all possible glitch Pokémon ; furthermore, they put some error traps (such as checking the traded Pokémon's type against the legit type, verify attacks, etc. to prevent non-legit Pokémon to be traded. (I wonder if Pikachu is allowed to SURF :P)

In theory, Sun and Moon should have better protections, since the developers have more room for "legit-checking".
Though, we're talking about Game Freak here, so there's still the chance they make simple assertions that a Pokémon has to meet to be qualified for transfer, now say hello to 8F !

Though, the transfer will have to go through the Poké Bank, which I heard (I never used it ^^) is very strict with Pokémon, even refusing legit Pokémon sometimes. So… we'll see.

1. Pika's will Surf as they were distributed via Events (i even have a legit JP shiny Raichu with Fly and Surf lel) so i think they will go thru.
2."legit-checking"? Seriously? Not so long ago, Pokémon Bank could hold Pokémon over level 100. Say hello to someone's level 255 Mega Charizard X they were storing in the bank. :)

And at last, the GTS stands for me as Global Troll Station due to lots of trolls, lots of hacked Pokémon (that's why they took of the ability to trade Arceus there) and other crap.

Date: 2016-09-07 15:52:42

What I am very interested in is how they will be able to tell a Charizard M' is a… well, Charizard M' : Bc Maybe the game will  just… not transfer anything after it. At least that'd be the most sensible choice.
    Man, I am also hoping that whatever anti-cheating measure they take is flimsy enough so some ACE-ing or exploiting can break it : ) And I definetively not want it to be through pokébank… it'd be terribly unfair to have to pay for something as basic as transferring pokémon between games you already own : /

Posted by: TheZZAZZGlitch
Date: 2016-09-07 16:25:23
I just have a feeling that all of the anti-cheating measures in Pokemon Bank are designed to prevent an average 1337 h4x0r from trying to put their shiny Arceus into GTS.
It wasn't designed to deal with the level of control that 8F gives us (does Nintendo even know about 8F arbitrary code execution?)
As it was said before, not long ago it was possible to get level 100+ Pokemon stored and transferred without any problems.

Glitch Pokemon probably won't be allowed (even if they were, they would just turn into equivalent Gen II Pokemon). But I assure you that invalid movesets will be a thing (Charizard with Crabhammer, here I come!) and invalid DV combinations will be a thing (15/15/15/15 Mewtwo lel).

Throughout the years Game Freak has shown us that they don't care about error checking at all.

Posted by: Stackout
Date: 2016-09-07 16:37:29

Throughout the years Game Freak has shown us that they don't care about error checking at all.

What about in Gen 5? That gen, at least, seemed to have somewhat decent error checking.

Date: 2016-09-07 19:44:08

Glitch Pokemon probably won't be allowed (even if they were, they would just turn into equivalent Gen II Pokemon). But I assure you that invalid movesets will be a thing (Charizard with Crabhammer, here I come!) and invalid DV combinations will be a thing (15/15/15/15 Mewtwo lel).

I feel like competitive battlers are probably gonna find it interesting what will happen to random one on one battles. I mean, with 1337 haxors, it's usually just kids with little skill at battles so even their max IV lvl 100 Arceus will go down with relative ease. But if it takes more complex exploits and some coding knowledge, then the profile of the people with invalid pokémon changes dramatically.
  I'll definitively spend money for the sake of a full bug type team where all bugs have at least one instance of mega kick. : )

Posted by: ravioli
Date: 2016-09-07 20:03:55
I feel as if the RBY to Sun and Moon will be as strict as BW to XY. I believe only the matching index numbers of the original intended 151 with the correct stats for the time will be allowed like how it is for Gen 5 to 6.

If it doesn't have the correct stats and has bogus statistics, it probably wont get accepted. Neither will an ''invalid'' index number of Pokemon.

Date: 2016-09-07 22:28:08
Anyone got a GBA flashcart? If there's a way to dump saves from GB/GBC carts, you could edit Gen 2 'mons into saves for Gen 3 and stick the new G3 save onto a GBA cart, and trading the Gen 2.5 'mons (FLOABN) to a legit Gen 3 game… It's expensive, and it's impractical, but it may be worth it for some.
And this allows Pal Park, then importation over Download Play (WHO THOUGHT THIS WAS A GOOD IDEA?????) then all the way up to ORAS. So… win?

Date: 2016-09-08 00:52:10
Yeniaul : I described a similar thing to transfer to Gen 4, but that ain't working with Glitchmons.

Well, what about invalid attacks ? :D
And, if Game Freak really screwed this, these will go through ! Yum, look cool.