Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Pokémon Discussion

General Pokémon guide misinformation - Page 1

General Pokémon guide misinformation

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2016-11-01 10:15:24
My close friend sent me a link to a video on how a book called Pokémon Ultimate Handbook is full of errors, so I thought this would be a nice thread to discuss other similar errors. Glalie evolves into Froslass!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfGvrNqY9jU

Re: General Pokémon guide misinformation

Posted by: Charmy
Date: 2016-11-01 14:35:44
Hehehe, I already watched that video, like 10 times already, I knew about it like 20 minutes after it was published. DELIBIRD WAS A LEGENDARY THIS WHOLE TIME (Pachurisu too)! You should put a dingus alert somewhere in your post.
Now look at his friend's second channel, what she's currently playing is a very "good" translation. Here, have a link:Click to enter the world of Pocket Mon!
That handbook wasn't "epic" this whole time.

"Eartquake, Mash Punch, Synthsis, Leafon, Ledyba the Five Start Pokémon"
Also, why does Tyrouge evolve into Hitmonlee, then into Hitmonchan or Hitmontop? And why Luxio's moves are Roserade's moveset?

Posted by: Bert
Date: 2016-11-01 16:43:25
This thing has a 4.5 on Barnes and Noble.

Admittedly some of these are inconsequential, like listing Gliscor's species as FangScorpion instead of Fang Scorp. But then it does shit like giving Budew, Luxray, Cranidos and Rampardos the same moveset, and listing Metal Claw as Metal Chew.

While we're on the subject, what was that handbook from Generation I that said the Master Ball should be used on rare Pokémon like Dodrio or Rapidash?

Date: 2016-11-01 18:45:56

Hehehe, I already watched that video, like 10 times already, I knew about it like 20 minutes after it was published. DELIBIRD WAS A LEGENDARY THIS WHOLE TIME (Pachurisu too)! You should put a dingus alert somewhere in your post.
Now look at his friend's second channel, what she's currently playing is a very "good" translation. Here, have a link:Click to enter the world of Pocket Mon!
That handbook wasn't "epic" this whole time.

"Eartquake, Mash Punch, Synthsis, Leafon, Ledyba the Five Start Pokémon"
Also, why does Tyrouge evolve into Hitmonlee, then into Hitmonchan or Hitmontop? And why Luxio's moves are Roserade's moveset?

Nice.

RE: That bootleg cartridge, I see cool. I'll check it out. :)

This thing has a 4.5 on Barnes and Noble.

Admittedly some of these are inconsequential, like listing Gliscor's species as FangScorpion instead of Fang Scorp. But then it does s**t like giving Budew, Luxray, Cranidos and Rampardos the same moveset, and listing Metal Claw as Metal Chew.

While we're on the subject, what was that handbook from Generation I that said the Master Ball should be used on rare Pokémon like Dodrio or Rapidash?

Do you mean this?

[img]http://i.imgur.com/biBKFzi.jpg[/img]

Apparently the source is a special collector's edition magazine of the now defunct British Nintendo Official Magazine called Pokémon Master Guide. Somebody actually scanned in all of the pages in a Google Document.

Edit: Removed link to scans in interest of copyright.

Posted by: IceFlame
Date: 2016-11-01 20:11:34
I have the updated version of that Pokémon Master Guide, with the added Yellow section. It has a lot of horrible advice along similar lines. Looks like not much has changed between the two versions, so they didn't even learn anything after publishing the first one. Read it and facepalm!

Posted by: Bert
Date: 2016-11-01 21:13:19
@Torchickens:

Yep, that's the one. Thank you.

Date: 2016-11-02 04:23:39

Only if I could, I would upload the ROM here. Someone dumped it a long time ago, I found it on a bootleg-oriented forum in 2013, so I had it for a pretty long time. So… can I upload the ROM of that bootleg? I think not, but I should always ask Staff first.
I don't have a rom of Pokémon Pokémon Pokémon Fire Red though.

Date: 2016-11-02 18:41:09
Looking through the two versions of the Pokémon Master Guide, they have fixed a few things with the Yellow update. Overall it's a decent beginner walkthrough and most of the advice is reasonable. But still a rather long list of WTF, most of which were not fixed.

I don't see the one about using the Master Ball on Fearow or Tentacruel. In 3 places this guide recommends using the Master Ball on Mewtwo.

"If you wanna catch a wild Arcanine, you'd best be buying Pokémon Red."
"Bulbasaur's Levels rise quicker than the other two"
"(Charmander's) Levels rise slower than the others"
The bad thing about choosing Squirtle is he's going to be weak against Lance
Bulbasaur only learning one HM is a disadvantage, while Charmander/Squirtle learning two is an advantage (with the implication that you're going to teach Cut to Bulbasaur/Charmander)
Raichu has paralyzed Onix (which wouldn't be a problem except the caption says "use a powerful sleep or paralyse attack if you have one")
The type chart still thinks Ghost is super-effective on Psychic, and seems to have "Poor" and "Rubbish" swapped
The description of the type chart suggests the type of the attacking Pokémon is the important thing
"Train your Pokémon so they're all at a similar Level. Be b-o-r-i-n-g. Spend hours in a location like Vididian Forest, fighting Pokémon and raising your squad levels."
"Before teaching an HM to a Pokémon, make sure you want that particular Pokémon in your team for the rest of the game. HMs are vital to completing the quest and, once learned, they can't be swopped over to another creature. Beware!"
"Without the (Town) map, it's impossible to find your way around the game."
Use Vitamins as late as possible because they give more stat points
Route 22: "The Nidorans aren't too hot, but Rattatas become excellent fighters if you train 'em well"
"No one knows if this cheat's for real, but it seems to help sometimes" for pressing buttons while a Poké Ball is shaking
(Old version only) If you meet a Missingno, don't save
"When a Pokémon uses a Hidden Machine, the beast can never unlearn the skill it contains. Only teach 'em to your fave fighters."
(Old version only) Moltres takes around three Ultra Balls to catch, Zapdos can take up to 10, and for Articuno one Ultra Ball should do the trick.
Throw four or five baits to catch Kangaskhan easily
"Area unknown" means it can only be evolved from another creature or only found in the other version of the game
"If your Pokémon learns a fifth skill when it's there (in Daycare), you'll have no say in which move it forgets. It's a risk you have to take."
"Conserve moves. If your enemy only has a small amount of energy left, don't use a powerful move like Swift."
"In Japan, Koffing and Weezing were known as NY and LA"
(Old version only) You have to get the correct badge before certain levels of Pokémon will do what you say (failing to mention this only applies to traded ones). Mewtwo won't obey until you get the Earth Badge (I guess this must be a traded one then!)
(Old version only) Catch Abra by paralyzing it
In the Japanese version, "you're given Mew when you collect all 150". In the UK version, "you must have Mew downloaded onto your cart using a special machine".
Grass Pokémon are good against the Rockets in the Game Corner
Sabrina uses Ghost and Psychic Pokémon
Use Electric moves against Ghosts
Psywave does damage 1.5x your level
Lapras is "vital to finishing the game", and later, "With Lapras in your squad and the Surf ability under your belt"
Use Pay Day to make money
"When a Pokémon learns a new move through Levelling Up, it'll be more powerful than the TM version of that move"
To get to Cinnabar, you have to go through Seafoam
"When facing a fearsome Dragonite who uses Hyper Beam, use Mirror Move. You'll hit the Pokémon with its own attack, good on Dragonite as Dragon attacks are super effective against this fiery fiend."
It's hard to get out of Giovanni's gym, so you'll need healing items; and "Although Giovanni isn't impossible, your squad will be weak after fighting all his Trainer mates. Hope you brought some Potions…"
(Old version only) Fire or Rock Pokémon are good against Lorelei
"When choosing moves, go for offensive rather than defensive skills". New version adds "Defensive moves are okay against computer controlled trainers and wild Pokémon but, when you link up with a mate, they're unlikely to give you enough time to use defensive skills."

New Yellow section:
To make Pikachu happy, among other things keep him first in your party and let him fight often
"There are 8 Pokémon boxes on your PC, but the first can hold 40 monsters"
Gary's team depends on which elemental stone you used first
"If you have a Gyarados with Surf, use him to defeat Alakazam" (not outright wrong like most of these, but oddly specific)
Use Articuno against Blaine

Date: 2016-11-03 16:44:11

@Torchickens:

Yep, that's the one. Thank you.

Pleasure Bert! ^_^

Only if I could, I would upload the ROM here. Someone dumped it a long time ago, I found it on a bootleg-oriented forum in 2013, so I had it for a pretty long time. So… can I upload the ROM of that bootleg? I think not, but I should always ask Staff first.
I don't have a rom of Pokémon Pokémon Pokémon Fire Red though.

Afraid to be safe it's best not to post it. Some forums like Jul may permit this but I don't want to endorse piracy. (although I technically did by linking the guide book).

I have the updated version of that Pokémon Master Guide, with the added Yellow section. It has a lot of horrible advice along similar lines. Looks like not much has changed between the two versions, so they didn't even learn anything after publishing the first one. Read it and facepalm!

Nice. That's interesting they didn't learn. Thank you for your later post on all the errors!

Date: 2016-11-03 18:20:49
Regarding using the Master Ball on Fearow or Tentacruel, did I miss it, or is it actually from a different book?

… OK, that's the top floor of Silph Co visible at the edge of the snipped Poké Tip, and that map doesn't have an overlapping Poké Tip in either version. (The picture posted also has a Rocket in it, while the maps in the Pokémon Master Guide don't include the Rockets.)

By the way, I just noticed the new version shows the Card Key doors while the old version doesn't.

Posted by: camper
Date: 2016-11-04 00:05:35
Try to make a patch then upload it? Most forums accept ROM patches.

Date: 2016-11-04 04:18:55

"Chinese" Emerald 's ROM layout is completely different from JP Emerald's but I might try making a patch.

Posted by: camper
Date: 2016-11-04 10:25:06

"Chinese" Emerald 's ROM layout is completely different from JP Emerald's but I might try making a patch.

Huh then which ROM is it based on? I doubt a bootleg changes that much from the original…

Date: 2016-11-04 12:46:00

Huh then which ROM is it based on? I doubt a bootleg changes that much from the original…

It's based on the JP version of Emerald, but as it was included on a multicart (the guy who dumped it had one of those), it has a completely different ROM layout, the Universal Pokémon Game Randomizer doesn't read it. It throws errors at me.

Date: 2016-11-05 08:41:06
Someone has collected some bad Oak advice here, though without giving any sources. Some of these are from the Pokémon Master Guide (including a couple of things I didn't think were bad enough to point out). It seems there is another book with multiple bad-advice Poké Tips (also white-on-red, with a folded corner and Oak's face in the top-right).
http://www.funnyjunk.com/Dumb+pokemon+tips/funny-pictures/5446580/

I also remember watching a video about this, called something like "Oak is the dumbest professor ever", but I can't find it now.