Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Pokémon Discussion

Shiny hunting - Page 1

Shiny hunting

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2018-01-22 09:59:41
Talk about Shiny hunting here.

Who else is going to collect Shinies from the Odd Egg in non-Japanese Crystal when it comes out for 3DS Virtual Console? The chance of getting a Shiny from it is only 14%! (Similar to how it's relatively easy to get an Ultra Wormhole Shiny in Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon now).

You can get Shiny Pichu, Cleffa, Igglybuff, Tyrogue, Smoochum, Elekid and Magby. I would like the Cleffa.

Re: Shiny hunting

Posted by: Couldntthinkofaname
Date: 2018-01-22 10:04:35
Eh, my "hunting" essentially consists of RNG abuse. I used to have the patience for shiny hunting, but nowadays I seem to have lost this patience.

Though, I heard it was somewhat easier for shiny hunting in USUM.

Date: 2018-01-22 10:12:21

Eh, my "hunting" essentially consists of RNG abuse. I used to have the patience for shiny hunting, but nowadays I seem to have lost this patience.

Though, I heard it was somewhat easier for shiny hunting in USUM.

That's still cool though. I don't do RNG abuse and prefer not doing it for shinies, but I imagine it's still fun hunting that way. :)

It's very easy in comparison to soft-resetting or repeated encounter (max of about 36% Shiny chance depending on how good you do the minigame, and type 2 and 3 wormholes max out at 10%, 19% Shiny). While hunting for legendaries there's a good chance you may encounter one or two shinies without even hunting for them.

There are only a few shinies you can get this way though. Additionally they are extremely common on GTS. If you collect extra legendaries like me, at the time of posting you can easily get every possible wormhole Shiny by trading legendaries for them.

Posted by: Nostalgia
Date: 2018-01-22 15:24:15
I've only really played the first 3 generations where it's harder to find shinies. In my time, I've had a few dozen shinies in Gen II, I've played countless Crystal files over the years, out of all the odd egg Pokemon the only one I've never had shiny is Pichu. The odds seem to be the lowest to get a Pichu as well so to get one shiny is even lower, I think it's 1%. The most common Pokemon from the odd egg seems to be Cleffa and Igglybuff, so it shouldn't be hard for you to get a shiny Cleffa Torchickens, I've had several over the years. :)

As for gen 3 I've only had two shinies. I have a Shiny Aerodactyl in my Fire Red which I soft reset for, I wanted a aerodactyl for my playthrough anyway so this was the only shiny I spent a decent amount of time soft resetting for.  My only other gen 3 shiny was a random Graveler in my Emerald file that I found post game after a ton of hours played, ending up ev training it and evolving it into a Golem and training it to level 50 for the Battle Frontier.

I agree with Epsilon though, I don't have the patience to shiny hunt, I find it better when you just come across a shiny through casual gameplay.

I'm thinking of playing Leaf Green soon, and it would be interesting if I could find my first wild shiny in those games, seeing as the only one I got from FR/LG was the soft resetted Aerodactyl.

Date: 2018-01-22 15:42:21

I've only really played the first 3 generations where it's harder to find shinies. In my time, I've had a few dozen shinies in Gen II, I've played countless Crystal files over the years, out of all the odd egg Pokemon the only one I've never had shiny is Pichu. The odds seem to be the lowest to get a Pichu as well so to get one shiny is even lower, I think it's 1%. The most common Pokemon from the odd egg seems to be Cleffa and Igglybuff, so it shouldn't be hard for you to get a shiny Cleffa Torchickens, I've had several over the years. :)

That's neat, congratulations on your Crystal shinies Nostalgia. :) Hmm, I remember reading about the odds being different for different Odd Egg Shinies as well. Shame that the odds to get Shiny Pichu are among the lowest.

Awesome, will keep that in mind then when hunting for Cleffa. Thanks for the information Nostalgia. ^^

As for gen 3 I've only had two shinies. I have a Shiny Aerodactyl in my Fire Red which I soft reset for, I wanted a aerodactyl for my playthrough anyway so this was the only shiny I spent a decent amount of time soft resetting for.  My only other gen 3 shiny was a random Graveler in my Emerald file that I found post game after a ton of hours played, ending up ev training it and evolving it into a Golem and training it to level 50 for the Battle Frontier.

I'm thinking of playing Leaf Green soon, and it would be interesting if I could find my first wild shiny in those games, seeing as the only one I got from FR/LG was the soft resetted Aerodactyl.

Congratulations on both Shinies! :)

The first Shiny I encountered in Generation III was a Shiny Aron in one of the Hoenn games, which I remembered for having red eyes. Unfortunately I didn't have enough Poké Balls to catch it. Later I encountered a Shiny Gastly in FireRed but again didn't catch it for some reason.

The first Shiny I actually caught was a Shiny Yanma in FireRed in the Sevii Islands. I later evolved it into a Shiny Yanmega when Diamond/Pearl came out. I cloned it and traded away clones of it on GTS, but I regret what I did a lot and released the Yanmega because there are copies of it that aren't strictly legit anymore.

I've come across various other Shinies since, very recently got my own OT Ultra Wormhole Shiny Yanmega which fortunately has a great nature (Timid) and IVs (max Speed and Sp. Atk). Named it "FRLG Days ❤" and very happy to have caught it.

I remember encountering a Shiny in Pokémon Battle Revolution once. I think it was Mysterial's Snorlax.

The only low odds Shiny I've actively hunted for is for a Shiny Torchic that was bred with Masuda Method, which I have now.

Posted by: Bert
Date: 2018-01-22 16:44:31
I remember seeing a lot of shinies in Crystal version back when I was 8-9, although I don't believe I caught them for whatever reason. Pretty sure one of them was a Magikarp.

My most prized shiny ever was a shiny Flygon I had on Emerald version, which I caught as a Trapinch. Then I stupidly restarted the save file without sending it into Platinum version and beyond. I even wrote a song about it because that's totally going to impress the ladies. I spent like a week trying to find one in Moon version but the game either a) summons a Gabite right before the Trapinch can Struggle itself to death or b) eventually summons a regular Trapinch that doesn't know the SOS system exists.

But but but everyone else of course is fucking drowning in S/M/Us/Um shinies.

I remember also catching a shiny Voltorb and a shiny Carvanha on Emerald version, but I don't think I ever used them.

Caught a shiny Pelipper in Diamond, which immediately went to to the box.

The last shiny I encountered in the wild was a shiny Donphan in HeartGold, on Mt. Silver, in like 2010. It also went to the box.

By wasting time on Wonder Trade, I've gotten a few shinies: Turtonator, Palkia (which is named Cotton Candy, lol), a Regirock (which I traded for a Buzzwole), and a Vikavolt (which I traded for a Battle Bond Greninja). Turtonator and Palkia currently reside in the prestigious "Not for Trade" box. I've had at least three people contact me for link trades but it quickly becomes obvious they just want to show off their PkHex'd shinies.

Date: 2018-01-22 18:41:27
Nice :)

I like the Cotton Candy name. I don't have any Shiny legendaries other than a few event ones.

May as well share my collection. It's nowhere near as many as a lot of Shiny hunters but one moment.

Edit: Have the Crown Beast Raikou too but forgot to put it in the Shiny boxes.
Edit 2: Does anyone have a spare legit event Shiny Palkia or Giratina? I would happily trade Shiny Entei, Suicune or Tapu Koko for one. I missed out on those and only got the Shiny Dialga. Thanks!

[img]https://i.imgur.com/75aH3Gz.png[/img][img]https://i.imgur.com/us1WKMX.png[/img]

Date: 2018-01-22 22:25:33
Well, now I have a shiny female Hippowdon from Wonder Trade.

Nice :)

I like the Cotton Candy name.

Honestly, if it weren't for the fact that I can't stop laughing over it for some reason, I might've traded it away by now.

Date: 2018-01-23 05:39:34

That's neat, congratulations on your Crystal shinies Nostalgia. :) Hmm, I remember reading about the odds being different for different Odd Egg Shinies as well. Shame that the odds to get Shiny Pichu are among the lowest.

Awesome, will keep that in mind then when hunting for Cleffa. Thanks for the information Nostalgia. ^^

Yeah I remember reading something that gave the exact odds, but I can't find the link now, but through hatching enough eggs you can see you will get mostly Cleffas/Igglybuffs, a few Magby/Elekid/Tyrogue, but Pichu seems the rarest for some reason.

If people want to get multiple odd egg shinies on VC Crystal then the odd egg cloning glitch is a good method: https://imgur.com/gallery/Dx4Kt

I never bothered much with the odd egg pokemon though due to their fixed bad DVs, if they weren't shiny then all their DVs were the lowest, if they were shiny then their DVs were still quite low compared to the average shiny, with low HP and attack, and odd egg Pokemon were always female due to their low attack stat (except from Tyrogue who couldn't be). Still, if I got a shiny one I'd make the effort to train it up to it's final evolution. :)

Later I encountered a Shiny Gastly in FireRed but again didn't catch it for some reason.

Lucky and you should of caught it, Gengar is one of my favourite Pokemon of all time so I would of loved a shiny Gastly. :p

Posted by: Charmy
Date: 2018-01-23 10:09:57
Well, does the fact that I literally encountered 2 full-odds shiny Zubats without even looking for them?
One was on Ruby, other on a 2010 build of Prism (because why not)…
And I also encountered (and caught, of course) a Shiny Spinarak on UM when I was filling in the dex.
And later I hunted for a shiny Xurkitree (which i got in like 20 minutes lol) and a shiny Guzzlord (which was my 1st SR of the second day).
and besides a few more shinies in other romhacks (like the actual newest build of Prism) and some "sorta not special" shinies, then I don't really have anything else, besides a shiny Bunnelby (Diggersby) I found on Y, and a shiny Xatu on the same game…
Oh and of course a ton of hacked ones from WT, who wouldn't have expected that…

Posted by: CytricAcid
Date: 2018-01-23 17:33:22
this generation has been so generous with shinies for me! in UM i found two random shinies in the wild within 20 minutes of each other, WITHOUT the shiny charm!
I have quite a few shinies now, I find it much easier and better on my circle pad to SOS chain than to hatch them. I also had a shiny oricorio and shiny fomantis i caught on sun and transferred to my UM game. Shiny Lurantis is my favorite <3

Date: 2018-01-24 10:33:31

this generation has been so generous with shinies for me! in UM i found two random shinies in the wild within 20 minutes of each other, WITHOUT the shiny charm!
I have quite a few shinies now, I find it much easier and better on my circle pad to SOS chain than to hatch them. I also had a shiny oricorio and shiny fomantis i caught on sun and transferred to my UM game. Shiny Lurantis is my favorite <3

Wow that's lucky. Bet you were pleased. Congratulations! :)

Shiny Oricorio and Shiny Fomantis sound awesome. I love both those Pokémon.

Date: 2018-01-29 22:21:25
SHINY TRAPINCH IN THE HOOOUUUSE actually it's a Vibrava now but still.

Posted by: Parzival
Date: 2018-01-30 07:39:48
I found a shiny on my very first encounter during a playthrough of SoulSilver one time. Didn't have Pokeballs either.

Date: 2018-01-30 09:30:15
So what's everyone's favourite shiny that they have obtained?

Mine is the Aerodactyl I obtained on Fire Red. For the simply reason being, it was the first shiny I used for a full playthrough, I also properly EV trained it as well. I was soft resetting for one with a good nature, IVs and Rock Head ability, eventually I ended up with a shiny one with good IVs, decent nature and the Pressure ability, not ideal but I'll take it! Adamant or Jolly would of been best for Aero, but Hasty is not bad, boosting it's highest stat and lowering it's already bad defense.

[img]http://i.picresize.com/images/2018/01/30/PTRHN.jpg[/img]

Funny thing is, Aero is not a favourite Pokemon of mine, but is my favourite shiny so far. The lack of choice of Pokemon in FR/LG pre Elite Four was what made me chose it for my team. Despite obtaining a good number of shinies on the gen II games, I never bothered with them much due to shiny Pokemon in gen II having set DV's, making them inferior to max stat Pokemon.