Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Pokémon Discussion

What is your favourite Pokémon game? - Page 1

What is your favourite Pokémon game?

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2019-01-28 11:31:41
Which one of these Pokémon games in this thread's poll is your favourite?  :)

Mine is White 2, I loved the plot and diversity of available monsters. Recently have had a lot of fun with Let's Go, Eevee! (although not everyone's taste) despite it being based on the older Red/Green/Blue/Yellow. It was an interesting take on the original games and I have an affinity for it.

Re: What is your favourite Pokémon game?

Posted by: Couldntthinkofaname
Date: 2019-01-28 11:57:53
Pokemon White.

First pokemon game I ever played, and wow, did my nine-ten year old self love it. Every aspect of it mesmerized me, especially the capture of legendary pokemon - Likely because it was the first major "game" i had ever played. The first legendary I encountered was Thundurus. Like a doof, I used my Master Ball on it, but it quickly became my favorite pokemon.

White would have much more of an impression because of a friend I had from 3rd through 5th grade, an student who was known as the class "walking calculator". Every now and then, we would go to the local Chinese restaurant (a friend of his had a family business), and played White on our DSs. It was a blast, so much so that we nearly got kicked out of the Chinese place on multiple occasions. At school, we would talk about the game nonstop. We came up with all kinds of wacky speculations - The one that was most popular between the two of us was that it was somehow possible to take a bus from Unova to Sinnoh. I was obsessed with this theory, because I really,really wanted to catch Giratina. The friend would later move to New York, but those experiences had a lasting impression on me.

Man, childhood was awesome.

I also played White 2, but that wouldn't be nearly as important to me, outside of the fact that my then ~12 year old mind would later replace thundurus with White Kyurem as my "new favorite pokemon", because of it's "sheer epicness" or whatever I determined signified it's superiority over the Zekrom-version and other pokemon.

Posted by: Sherkel
Date: 2019-01-28 12:18:15
The world in Card GB 2 made an impression on me that's still deeper than I could possibly attempt describing. The music and graphics in that are also some of my favorite I've seen in any game to date, period. Obviously the gameplay is also excellent, it being that of the original but with a lot more content, plus the GR challenge simulator providing a "Battle Tower" for those who are ready to spend a lot of time looking at it, experiencing it casually and indefinitely after seeing what the campaign has to offer.

That aside, from the mainline series, it'd have to be Ruby and Sapphire, which were (probably not coincidentally) the first ones I got to play on my own. In the end, it's for all the same reasons as Card GB 2; I've said on some occasions that I find 3rd Gen RNG to be the most fun, but that's probably just because of my emotional attachment to them, ease of moving save files around, connectivity with the GameCube titles, and knowing how to take the right shortcuts in the memory viewer to give myself tons of shinies when playing hacks of them. What makes these edge out Emerald? The font. Yep, that slight vertical stretch.

Posted by: Parzival
Date: 2019-01-28 13:10:19
my favorite is trozei

like this video and subscribe to my minecraft pixelmon roleplay channel

Being serious, Yellow. It was my first Pokemon game, first game I bought with MY money, first GBx game I played, and to this day I have a huge soft spot for it. I played it on a blue-green GBC. Yes, my first Pokemon game was played on actual hardware! I'm just now 18.

i grew up right

Date: 2019-01-28 13:19:20
Yes, I love White too!  :) Gen V in general are quite immersive.

I remember a post from you somewhere about Card GB 2, Sherkel. Glad you love it.  :) I'm not very good at it and don't really know how to play it.

I relate with that Parzival. I got my Yellow from a car-boot sale (a little like a garage sale) rather than the main game shops, so it too felt a lot more personal.

Posted by: Nostalgia
Date: 2019-01-29 04:19:41
Pokemon Crystal, shortly followed by Pokemon Emerald.

Pokemon Crystal is the Pokemon game I put by far the most time into over the years and I have a lot of fond memories of.  Pokemon Emerald I didn't gain a true appreciation of until 2017 when I dedicated a lot of time to it with the desire to complete the Battle Frontier. In the end I obtained 5 out of the 7 Gold Symbols and I was satisfied with that. Maybe one day I'll get all 7. The Battle Frontier gave Emerald a ton of replay value though - and replay value is one important factor on what makes a game great for me. I don't want to play a game once and then never return to it because the game has no replay value - a game needs elements that make you want to go back and play it again and again.

Posted by: Zowayix
Date: 2019-01-29 08:26:43
It fluctuates honestly, but right now I'll say FRLG. Sometimes it's Emerald. I'm indecisive.

I do think though that if Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee counts then Colosseum/XD should count.

Date: 2019-01-29 08:33:30

It fluctuates honestly, but right now I'll say FRLG. Sometimes it's Emerald. I'm indecisive.

I do think though that if Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee counts then Colosseum/XD should count.

Cool!

OK, added them to the poll.

Posted by: Missing? NO!
Date: 2019-01-29 22:03:28
Ooh dang. This is a hard question.

LeafGreen was my first Pokemon game, and has a special place in my heart because of it. Emerald was the game I played the most as a kid, and I have a lot of great memories of that game. Gen 4 didn't really wow me outside of HeartGold/SoulSilver, but I don't think I like any of those games more than LeafGreen or Emerald. Gen 5 was the same way for me – even though the games are universally liked, they don't have the same allure to me as Emerald or LeafGreen does.

That's why my favorite game in the series is Omega Ruby. Competitive battling / team development is easy and reformed, while the story and region itself brings me back to the Pokemon Emerald days that I remember. I love how many legendaries there are, how easy it is to traverse the region, and the Delta Episode.

Date: 2019-01-30 09:20:14

Ooh dang. This is a hard question.

LeafGreen was my first Pokemon game, and has a special place in my heart because of it. Emerald was the game I played the most as a kid, and I have a lot of great memories of that game. Gen 4 didn't really wow me outside of HeartGold/SoulSilver, but I don't think I like any of those games more than LeafGreen or Emerald. Gen 5 was the same way for me – even though the games are universally liked, they don't have the same allure to me as Emerald or LeafGreen does.

That's why my favorite game in the series is Omega Ruby. Competitive battling / team development is easy and reformed, while the story and region itself brings me back to the Pokemon Emerald days that I remember. I love how many legendaries there are, how easy it is to traverse the region, and the Delta Episode.

Cool, yes I loved FireRed/Leafgreen too and invested a lot of hours in it.  ❤ ^^ It was also the game I got my first Shiny other than Red Gyarados; a Yanma.

Yes, ORAS I feel too is one of the games that's user friendly and I enjoyed Delta Episode and soaring in the sky too. :)

Posted by: Sherkel
Date: 2019-01-30 11:16:55
@Nostalgia, I felt the same way about games in general for a long time, but nowadays "replay value" for me comes more from aesthetics than amounts of achievements.

The Battle Frontier is essentially as close as you could get to an objective design improvement over the Battle Tower, and I'd agree that anything that pushes the gameplay to its limits (both Battle Frontiers, BW's random Wi-Fi battles, etc.) is a good thing to have in a game. I found over time that I'm personally more interested in how it feels to play something, though (without completely leaving aside gameplay.) Plus, those limits can always be self-imposed, such as with the sudden great idea to start recording RTA runs and competing for the best time.

(Speaking of both that and the Battle Frontier, have you seen Werster and Exarion's "All Gold Symbols" runs? Unreal!!)

Date: 2019-01-30 12:34:15
Battle Frontier is too hard for me. Yes, the "All Gold Symbols" runs are amazing!

Posted by: Ketsuban
Date: 2019-02-02 02:00:11
Pokémon Ruby was the first game in the series that I played, and I still kinda want to move to Hoenn.

Date: 2019-02-02 08:16:53

Pokémon Ruby was the first game in the series that I played, and I still kinda want to move to Hoenn.

Cool :) Yep, there are nice scenic places I'd quite like to visit Slateport and Mossdeep if they were real.

Posted by: Pokedude
Date: 2019-06-01 23:33:54
Oof I missed this sorry! 😅