Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Forum Discussion

The 50 post requirement for Forum Games - Page 1

The 50 post requirement for Forum Games

Posted by: Sherkel
Date: 2019-05-28 16:27:00
I think we should remove it. Thinking back to when it was instated in 2009, this was a very different place, with many more active members, a much more exclusivist attitude toward those that didn't seem to be as interested, and enough active threads that reaching 50 vaguely meaningful posts was nothing close to the hurdle it is now. In addition, the fact that someone could just go on that section and get to know other members and see that we're not "all business" makes it seem more ideal for newbies, not less. It might even be part of why so many stick to the Discord.

Not putting a poll, because there's no reason not to just state your opinion and whatever you want to add to a "yes" or "no".

Re: The 50 post requirement for Forum Games

Posted by: Yuzihax
Date: 2019-05-28 21:25:01
I'll second this, for all of the reasons already listed above. Just seems like the time, really.

Posted by: Parzival
Date: 2019-05-28 22:56:00
inb4 we get spambotted worse than VXHeaven did

Date: 2019-05-29 06:53:46

inb4 we get spambotted worse than VXHeaven did
Meaning what…? I was considering maybe keeping it hidden to guests, if it's something to do with that.

Date: 2019-05-29 07:27:48
VXHeaven dropped a post count requirement for accounts (I think it was a mandatory thread in an intro board and like 5 replies, but it's been forever since they've even been up) and then every post became some spambot post about someone wanting you to go to some totally legit .onion link for malware for sale.

Date: 2019-05-29 09:39:28
I honestly don't see how opening up a previously hidden board (one that is functionally no different than most others aside from the minimum post count requirement) is somehow inviting a spambot deluge, though. It's not like we don't already have spambots popping up every now and then either, they always have and likely always will, so even granting the idea of a minor uptick in the amount of them for some reason doesn't really change much in terms the day-to-day moderation of the forum or the overall user experience in my opinion.

Date: 2019-05-29 14:31:30

I honestly don't see how opening up a previously hidden board (one that is functionally no different than most others aside from the minimum post count requirement) is somehow inviting a spambot deluge, though. It's not like we don't already have spambots popping up every now and then either, they always have and likely always will, so even granting the idea of a minor uptick in the amount of them for some reason doesn't really change much in terms the day-to-day moderation of the forum or the overall user experience in my opinion.
they wanna remove the post count, not the visibility.

Date: 2019-05-29 15:04:55
well I sounded smart for a second at least lmao

Date: 2019-05-29 17:26:11

well I sounded smart for a second at least lmao
Nah, you're good. It happens.

Date: 2019-05-29 17:51:40

VXHeaven dropped a post count requirement for accounts (I think it was a mandatory thread in an intro board and like 5 replies, but it's been forever since they've even been up) and then every post became some spambot post about someone wanting you to go to some totally legit .onion link for malware for sale.
I don't see how those are causally related. If I'm being honest, postcount incentives of any sort encourage spam, not decrease it.

Posted by: Bert
Date: 2019-05-30 02:00:43
We could go one step further and delete Forum Games as a whole. Nothing of value would be lost.

Date: 2019-05-30 07:01:59

We could go one step further and delete Forum Games as a whole. Nothing of value would be lost.
no, but our shitposting hub would be lost.

Date: 2019-05-30 11:59:28

I object, as Meganium Adventures is in a sub-board.

Posted by: Bert
Date: 2019-05-30 17:56:24

no, but our shitposting hub would be lost.

Member's Guide to Topiclessness is in General Discussion, though.

We could move it to Art.

I hardly ever use the board but for the sake of being on-topic, I don't see what harm removing the post count would do.

Date: 2019-05-30 18:01:35

god i love this as it's a testament to… thread quality? I guess?

i lack words to describe it any better