Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Tech Help

My PC strikes again - Page 1

My PC strikes again

Posted by: Wild MissingNo. appeared
Date: 2010-01-01 02:25:35
Okay, I'm losing out how many more fucking problems are going to jump out at me. I was hoping a brand new year, as in a new start - no more PC problems, but I was wrong, again for the last seven years (if anymore surprises pop up at me, I'll give this thing a real death screen). Now after AVG really getting on my final nerve, I've completely uninstalled AVG from my computer, and now have Avast back (it was lost after I had to do a System Restore - had a bad problem), so once it was installed, and asked to do a system boot scan (before Windows starts), after a reboot, and I allowed it to do so while I played Saints Row, then I checked to see what's its status, and the first scan found Malware in the Volume area (I swear that area gets infected more than my Drive C), and so I pressed the "2" key to delete it, and it scanned again and found a Trojan horse virus, (again Volume area), that was deleted, then a final scan found a Rootkit, (think it was lurking in volume area, I forgot), and is now running in Windows, (found Malware AGAIN in the stupid Volume Area). Now my problem is my stupid firewall. It's been turning it's self off. It's done this like 5 times, and hasn't again (yet). I can't do a Restore back to October, it "fails", so what would cause a firewall to turn it's self off?

Re: My PC strikes again

Posted by: fivex
Date: 2010-01-01 03:30:35

Okay, I'm losing out how many more fucking problems are going to jump out at me. I was hoping a brand new year, as in a new start - no more PC problems, but I was wrong, again for the last seven years (if anymore surprises pop up at me, I'll give this thing a real death screen). Now after AVG really getting on my final nerve, I've completely uninstalled AVG from my computer, and now have Avast back (it was lost after I had to do a System Restore - had a bad problem), so once it was installed, and asked to do a system boot scan (before Windows starts), after a reboot, and I allowed it to do so while I played Saints Row, then I checked to see what's its status, and the first scan found Malware in the Volume area (I swear that area gets infected more than my Drive C), and so I pressed the "2" key to delete it, and it scanned again and found a Trojan horse virus, (again Volume area), that was deleted, then a final scan found a Rootkit, (think it was lurking in volume area, I forgot), and is now running in Windows, (found Malware AGAIN in the stupid Volume Area). Now my problem is my stupid firewall. It's been turning it's self off. It's done this like 5 times, and hasn't again (yet). I can't do a Restore back to October, it "fails", so what would cause a firewall to turn it's self off?
Uh, download trend micro rootkit revealer(look arround on their website), and run it. Post the results here before you delete stuff. It will detect something called master boot record or MBR or some such. You can't delete it(If you could you couldn't even get into linux if you deleted it)

Date: 2010-01-01 04:35:59
Avast scans the whole system and the memory area. Only Malware was found, and my firewall has turned off 7 times now.I can't remember the last problem that caused my firewall to turn off. Last time it was a bad copy of Norton (my Windows 98, but the Norton Antivirus became courrpted, and could not get rid of it). Again I can only use things that are free for a while/free forever.

Posted by: Stackout
Date: 2010-01-01 12:18:29
Try using Avira Antivir (google it, it's free). At its high setting it should detect more than avast can.

Posted by: Ketsuban
Date: 2010-01-01 12:52:19
Uh, download trend micro rootkit revealer(look arround on their website), and run it. Post the results here before you delete stuff. It will detect something called master boot record or MBR or some such. You can't delete it(If you could you couldn't even get into linux if you deleted it)

QFT

Date: 2010-01-01 14:11:52
Avast can detect Conficker, AVG can not.

Date: 2010-01-01 18:06:21

Avast can detect Conficker, AVG can not.
Uh, so? Avira can too.

Date: 2010-01-01 19:17:37
AVG isn't good because it mistakes most files of an anitvirus for a virus, when they're not. I've tried that antivirus before, when I thought I was infected with Conficker. I stopped using it because the version I was using I had to buy a full version to remove all the junk it found.

Date: 2010-01-01 21:46:43
http://forums.spybot.info/forumdisplay.php?f=22
^Post in there
But read this first:
http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=288

Date: 2010-01-02 00:58:43
Why should I join another forum I'll stop going to? A lot of software like antiviruses tend to be updated like AVG went from awesome to shit.

Date: 2010-01-02 01:12:20

Why should I join another forum I'll stop going to? A lot of software like antiviruses tend to be updated like AVG went from awesome to s**t.
Because their better help then most of us can give you.

Date: 2010-01-02 02:03:44
Why must others think going to more and more forums (I'm on too many as it is) is going to solve anything? Ever since Raid installed itself onto my computer, it's been screwy since the virus attack. No all computers come with Raid as someone has said, that is just a lie. My laptop hasn't got Raid, at all, my Win 98 never did. Either the motherboard has become corrupted, but still runs fine as Raid keeps saying about this "array" either broken or missing. No idea what it's on about. I need this computer to last until I can get the money to get a new one, (which will no doubt come with crappy Windows 7). Not all places are related to the outside of the computer, the problem might be coming from the inside of the computer but I have no knowledge within a computer.

Date: 2010-01-02 02:11:00
If it says that a raid array is broken or missing..
..your screwed.

When does it say then btw, in windows or in the POST ?

Date: 2010-01-02 02:21:16
It's in Windows when I go to Raid's location, I get a message in red writing. If I didn't have self-control, I would of ripped out the motherbored and smashed it to pieces and sell the bits on fucking Ebay as scrap metal. I'll jump to my computer and show you.

After more "false temp" files still appearing, here are the pictures.

http://i788.photobucket.com/albums/yy170/KrystalDragonSin/RaidError.png
http://i788.photobucket.com/albums/yy170/KrystalDragonSin/RaidTool.png

Date: 2010-01-02 02:36:06
Uninstall the VIA RAID tool, you don't need it.

or better still, give me remote access to RDP in to your box and i'll try to sort it out for you. :=D