Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Tech Help

My PC strikes again - Page 2

Re: My PC strikes again

Posted by: Wild MissingNo. appeared
Date: 2010-01-02 02:48:43
I have been wanting to get rid of it ever since it's fucked up but someone hs said that if I remove it, the PC won't work at all. I would of removed RAID, straight after the problem begun with it. I mean not only RAID is the problem, so are these damn fake XXXX.tmp files keep popping up, and two files on there keep saying that they're being used by something else (nothing shows up in Task Mangers list, and yet I've ran virus scans and spy scans nothing appears. You think that the other virus (I have two now attacking my PC) that one is a backdoor trojan?

Posted by: Stackout
Date: 2010-01-02 03:02:51
Might be Parite/B. I've been sprung with that a few times.
It's fine to uninstall RAID, it's not being used. It would only make the box not work at all if it was being used.

Date: 2010-01-02 03:05:21
What's PariteB? AVG kept saying Trojan horse Generic16.JP, and Trojan Horse PSW.Generic7.AYUC.

Date: 2010-01-02 03:12:21
Oh, just generic stuff, right, not parite/B then. Parite/B is a nasty PE-infector, when I had it last it survived 3 reinstalls of Windows.

Send the files to me (in a zip/rar, upload them to sendspace) then I'll analyse them for you.

Date: 2010-01-02 03:18:31
I've had avast scan, and nothing is found. I hope if I rid of RAID I can get into Safe Mode. If not, then something is truly wrong.

Date: 2010-01-02 03:30:54
I don't mean scan it, i mean analyse it. See what it actually does. Those generic titles mean it's just a crypted exe.

Date: 2010-01-02 03:35:17
The XXXX.tmp files that appear in my Temp file are always empty. Other junk that comes with it, doesn't seem to do anything as it doesn't open with anything.

Date: 2010-01-02 03:43:34
Don;t bother with them then.

And have you uninstalled the RAID thing that you don't need yet ?

Date: 2010-01-02 05:04:44
I've removed it.

Edit:

I'm still unable to get into Safe Mode. I don't know if it's because Linux or it's whatever's infecting my PC has "disabled" Safe Mode, because my PC keeps restarting itself, and I get that message about Windows wasn't shut down properly/something changed.

Date: 2010-01-02 06:50:32
when going to get into safe mode, choose the option that's like "Don't restart on system failure" (that's not it, it's like that though.) Then choose your Windows XP option then immediantly after keep on hitting F8 and then choose safe mode.

Date: 2010-01-02 14:10:28
The option to restart from system failure has always been on.

Posted by: fivex
Date: 2010-01-02 14:37:32

The option to restart from system failure has always been on.
Set it so that it DOESN'T
*facepalm*

Date: 2010-01-02 15:18:33
I don't see how that can effect Safe Mode, if that option has been turned on for nearly eight years.

Posted by: fivex
Date: 2010-01-02 15:23:31

I don't see how that can effect Safe Mode, if that option has been turned on for nearly eight years.
It's for other reasons. It might be throwing up a BSOD so quickly you cant even see it.

Date: 2010-01-02 16:08:31
I haven't had any blue death screens. I just get a black screen with white text, that you get if the PC was shut down (from a power cut/something else). My firewall is still turning itself off, while System Restores keep failing.

Edit:

Disabling Restart on System Failure doesn't work. People will have to see that all Windows systems are different from each other.