Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Tech Help

Vista Troubles - Page 2

Re: Vista Troubles

Posted by: fivex
Date: 2010-02-17 14:59:42
Mind posting what those files were?
Anyways, navigate to C:\windows(in safe mode) and delete msa.exe
If it doesn't let you, run a command prompt as a administrator and type del C:\windows\msa.exe and confirm you want to delete it.

Posted by: Wild MissingNo. appeared
Date: 2010-02-17 15:42:38
Msa has been gone for a few hours. I've done scans, nothing's found but them annoying tmp files that can't be removed as it's being "used", I can remove it in Safe Mode, but as soon as I enter Windows it returns, my hard drive space is up to 45.7 (I've finally gotten rid of them Restore files), but I still can't get Windows Defender back. Avira has replaced WD while it's done but something that the system can't detect if offline/out of date, but something is seriously wrong with Windows Defender, I can't get it back, nor delete it.

Date: 2010-02-17 17:11:54

Msa has been gone for a few hours. I've done scans, nothing's found but them annoying tmp files that can't be removed as it's being "used", I can remove it in Safe Mode, but as soon as I enter Windows it returns, my hard drive space is up to 45.7 (I've finally gotten rid of them Restore files), but I still can't get Windows Defender back. Avira has replaced WD while it's done but something that the system can't detect if offline/out of date, but something is seriously wrong with Windows Defender, I can't get it back, nor delete it.
"It returns?"
Again, delete the file manually in safe mode.

Posted by: Ketsuban
Date: 2010-02-17 20:00:16
del /f *.*

lolnotrly

But seriously, Vista is crap.

Back up all the important stuff, format, and do a fresh install of Windows 7.

Posted by: glitchhunter09
Date: 2010-02-17 20:26:12
Here's a suggestion:

Buy a 16 GB Flash Drive (you can buy smaller but you will need more of them depending on how much shit is on your hard drive.) 16 GB Flash Drives are expensive yes but well worth it. Back up all important files, (i.e. any game directories or save files in the C:/ Program files folder you want to keep, any important documents, music and or videos you find very important and irreplaceable and any other random files.

Once these are backed up. if you've got some extra cash, buy Windows 7. If you are going to college, (which I highly doubt due to your disablility. no offense or anything like that. Just saying. Don't kill me.)
You might be able to find it in your college's bookstore for a reasonable price. I missed this opportunity because they were sold out but my college's bookstore was selling Windows 7 Professional for $37.00 US one week. The next week they were selling it for $60.00 US so I had no choice but to buy it because I was tired of Vista. Btw I'm referring to installation discs.

Windows 7 in my opinion is a bit better than Vista but it still pales in comparison to Windows XP. The problem with Windows 7 I hate the most is that annoying problem that happens where you get black bars on the screen while playing older PC games at full screen, regardless of what resolution they are set to. There is a way to fix this but its complicated. I haven't fixed it because while it may seem weird at first you eventually get used to it and all the ways to fix the problem I've found have never been very straight forward. Always referring to things my PC doesn't have.

Once you install Windows 7, you'll want to completely overwrite your old OS if your version of Vista is not compatible or if you have viruses in your case. (though many of the older C:/ Drive files will be placed in a folder in the C:/ drive labeled Windows.old. However some things such as Microsoft applications may lose their functions. PC game files should still be stable enough to use though, especially if the game doesn't require a disc or was cracked to not need the disc.

There you have it. Its not the best solution and it might be a bit out of your price range but it works.

Date: 2010-02-18 07:57:48
First off, I won't kill you, and second I will not go near Windows 7 with a fucking 20ft pole. Windows 7 is a remake of Windows Vista, as there's been shit load of reports of problems England has had with it, like black screens of death, and other things I forgot. Windows 7 sucks, any Windows system I've used sucked other than Windows 98. Hell, my Windows 98 computer out-ran my first XP computer, as my 98 had viruses (a shit load of them and still worked, even with the blue screens of death), where my XP wouldn't. I'm still paying off my laptop and now a £400 vet bill, so getting a new computer is going slowly. If I can get a new computer, send all my stuff over, (I'm going to get James the guy who's sorted out my current XP until the fucker had to die on me, to change my Vista into XP once my stuff is safe). If my Vista had any fucking brains right about now, I'd have it go back 5 days before this virus happened, and I bet you it would be just fine, but it hasn't allowed me to do so, so I've had to put up with Vista for as long as I can remember. My first laptop was Windows Vista: Home Premium, and look at what happened to that, it died and never knew what the cause was, so again new laptop from a Japanese company called Fujitsu, with fucking Vista (again), and now got problems again. Vista is useless because it has these bogus bullshit updates that tend to "fail" each time, and Microsoft haven't done a damn thing to fix that, nor fix the other problems with Windows 7. I'll only get Windows 7 when all their problems are sorted, because they just mask over problems and release another system, under another name when it's exactly like the current system they have, but again masked over because they can't be bothered to fix the problems. I would download a torrent to change to XP but either there's a risk of losing my stuff, (I finally got the Japanese film Siren: Forbidden Siren and it was awesome, shame there was no subs), and no official updates from the company. I was going to download Windows 7 for my parent's computer, it's slow as hell, but runs fine, but I can't download a free copy of Windows 7 to try it, instead I have to buy it and I ain't paying for something I didn't like.

Posted by: glitchhunter09
Date: 2010-02-18 12:01:17
I was just trying to help. Sorry if I pissed you off a little. Windows 7 does have a bit of increased compatibility that windows Vista lacked. Other than that, you're right, 7 is basically the same.

"So and So needs your permission to run" Just as as annoying as hell.

Date: 2010-02-18 12:49:02
I keep getting my access is denied when I try and rid of Windows Defender (it came with my Vista), and it pisses me off to high hell. It's not you Glisp, it's the fact I think Microsoft are assholes. The only good thing they made was the original Xbox, and Xbox 360. I've had my original Xbox for about six years, and I've had no problems with it, what's so ever, but my Xbox 360 (my original one), that is nothing more than scrap metal, it's died like three times, and I'd pay a lot of money to get it repaired to only fail again. The first was hard drive failure they sent me one and I'd gotten it two weeks later, other time was unknown, but I got an Xbox 360 Elite and it suits well in my black room. But again, Microsoft suck. No matter what they create, something will go wrong and they'll just mask over the problem. I think Zowayix said about them only fixed bugs/problems in Windows 2000 and everything else is mask-over everything else, because they're too lazy. They really need to up their security and double check their systems for holes, in which this is how Conficker came to be, because of them useless idiots. A friend of mine had Windows M.E (Millenium Edition) and he said it was completely shit where it would crash on him, lock up, and other things he said, and he had Windows 2000 which was infected with a bad ass virus. A friend of mine said that Linux ain't all that good as he said if the system files are changed, even one, the system is fucked. Macs, ain't so good either, where in my school all we had was the old macs, Acorn II they were called here, and all it had was one game, no Internet at all. So, Windows are "good", but not perfect. Yes, it's world-wide but sooner or later they'll have to sort these problems out and not masking over, or they'll lose customers, and they will no doubt lose money, and it's bye-bye Microsoft. Hell, I'd gladly use Windows 2000/Windows 98, instead of this all new Windows crap when it's the same as what they got, but masked over. Again Windows Defender is still offline, it's been turned off and I don't have the power to turn it on yet I'm the damn admin of this laptop, and I can't get rid of Windows Defender, I can't remove IE8, (I hate it, and my Vista hates Firefox).

Date: 2010-02-18 16:18:22

I keep getting my access is denied when I try and rid of Windows Defender (it came with my Vista), and it pisses me off to high hell. It's not you Glisp, it's the fact I think Microsoft are assholes. The only good thing they made was the original Xbox, and Xbox 360. I've had my original Xbox for about six years, and I've had no problems with it, what's so ever, but my Xbox 360 (my original one), that is nothing more than scrap metal, it's died like three times, and I'd pay a lot of money to get it repaired to only fail again. The first was hard drive failure they sent me one and I'd gotten it two weeks later, other time was unknown, but I got an Xbox 360 Elite and it suits well in my black room. But again, Microsoft suck. No matter what they create, something will go wrong and they'll just mask over the problem. I think Zowayix said about them only fixed bugs/problems in Windows 2000 and everything else is mask-over everything else, because they're too lazy. They really need to up their security and double check their systems for holes, in which this is how Conficker came to be, because of them useless idiots. A friend of mine had Windows M.E (Millenium Edition) and he said it was completely s**t where it would crash on him, lock up, and other things he said, and he had Windows 2000 which was infected with a bad ass virus. A friend of mine said that Linux ain't all that good as he said if the system files are changed, even one, the system is fucked. Macs, ain't so good either, where in my school all we had was the old macs, Acorn II they were called here, and all it had was one game, no Internet at all. So, Windows are "good", but not perfect. Yes, it's world-wide but sooner or later they'll have to sort these problems out and not masking over, or they'll lose customers, and they will no doubt lose money, and it's bye-bye Microsoft. Hell, I'd gladly use Windows 2000/Windows 98, instead of this all new Windows crap when it's the same as what they got, but masked over. Again Windows Defender is still offline, it's been turned off and I don't have the power to turn it on yet I'm the damn admin of this laptop, and I can't get rid of Windows Defender, I can't remove IE8, (I hate it, and my Vista hates Firefox).
Add or remove windows features under control pannel

Date: 2010-02-18 18:06:48
It doesn't show up in the list at all, neither of them do.

Date: 2010-02-18 18:13:54

It doesn't show up in the list at all, neither of them do.
It's not on the main add or remove programs thing

Date: 2010-02-18 19:10:02
I've tried deleting them from the Program Files it doesn't work. I had this problem before with Spybot: Search & Destroy on my original laptop, I could not get rid of it.

Date: 2010-02-18 20:21:33

I've tried deleting them from the Program Files it doesn't work. I had this problem before with Spybot: Search & Destroy on my original laptop, I could not get rid of it.
*facepalm*
You can NOT delete them from program files.

Date: 2010-02-18 21:01:21
I've deleted IE8 from my XP by the Progran Files before. I can't delete Windows Defender from Control Pannel.

Posted by: Guy
Date: 2010-02-18 21:03:34

*facepalm*
You can NOT delete them from program files.
Mind explaining how to do it, then?