Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Tech Help

Vista Troubles - Page 3

Re: Vista Troubles

Posted by: Wild MissingNo. appeared
Date: 2010-02-18 21:23:09
This was a long time ago. I'd removed IE but had to restore it as I had a problem with Firefox. Windows XP and Vista are different, since XP doesn't have that pointless "You need permission" like Vista does. It was just about nearly eight years ago, I can't remember that far back. I've dug around the Administravtive Tools, and the service for Windows Defender has been stopped and I can't restart it.

Post Edit:

I've gone to the Windows Server TechCenter website, and it's useless. All I keep getting about what has been diabled from Windows Server 2003, Windows Server 2003 R2, Windows Server 2003 with SP1, Windows Server 2003 with SP2, but mine is Windows Server 2008 (the techcenter is out of date, because Windows Defender isn't in the list, and all the site does up to is Windows Server 2003, not 2008). I can't remove Windows Defender, I can't re-enable it, so it's now useless. My parents computer is XP and has Windows Defender, and that works fine, yet mine has been disbaled for an unknown reason/cause and now it won't do anything. I keep getting this whenever I try and get it started again.

http://i788.photobucket.com/albums/yy170/KrystalDragonSin/ServiesError87.png
http://i788.photobucket.com/albums/yy170/KrystalDragonSin/Services.png

Posted by: Stackout
Date: 2010-02-19 03:57:41
Right then: looking at the last hijackthis log you posted: I'm interested in this –
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Windows Defender] %ProgramFiles%\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe -hide
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RtHDVCpl] C:\Program Files\Realtek\Audio\HDA\RtHDVCpl.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Fujitsu OSD Utility] c:\PROGRA~1\FUJITS~1\OSDUTI~1.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Adobe Reader Speed Launcher] "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 9.0\Reader\Reader_sl.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IgfxTray] C:\Windows\system32\igfxtray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HotKeysCmds] C:\Windows\system32\hkcmd.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Persistence] C:\Windows\system32\igfxpers.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Google Desktop Search] "C:\Program Files\Google\Google Desktop Search\GoogleDesktop.exe" /startup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [FSCRecovery] c:\Program Files\Fujitsu\System Recovery\FSCRecoveryReminder.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Google EULA Launcher] c:\Program Files\Google\Google EULA\GoogleEULALauncher.exe IE PA
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Skytel] C:\Program Files\Realtek\Audio\HDA\Skytel.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jusched.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [avast!] C:\PROGRA~1\ALWILS~1\Avast4\ashDisp.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [WinampAgent] "C:\Program Files\Winamp\winampa.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [avgnt] "C:\Program Files\Avira\AntiVir Desktop\avgnt.exe" /min
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Sidebar] C:\Program Files\Windows Sidebar\sidebar.exe /autoRun
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Picasa Media Detector] C:\Program Files\Picasa2\PicasaMediaDetector.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [fts-reg] C:\fts-reg\ftsreg.exe 20100208
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [swg] "C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbarNotifier\GoogleToolbarNotifier.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Google Update] "C:\Users\Mutou Yami\AppData\Local\Google\Update\GoogleUpdate.exe" /c
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [TOY5KNQ8OC] C:\Users\Mutou Yami\AppData\Local\Temp\Bc1.exe

Go into msconfig, and to the startup tab. Make sure the following is un-ticked:
TOY5KNQ8OC (the bt5.exe)
..and that's it.
Get Unlocker (google it), and use it to delete the *.tmp files, etc.

Posted by: Wild MissingNo. appeared
Date: 2010-02-19 05:48:03
Vista keeps saying the temp file is being used, but isn't when in Safe Mode.

Post Edit:

Can my luck get any worse? I can't even get updates now. This is a repeat of my old laptop alright. I keep getting this:

Error: 80072EFD I've looked it up and neither info they give is bloody useful. I really hate Windows… Linux doesn't agree with my system anymore, as that old codec MPEG 1 (the same trouble I had with Yamaoka Akira's song from Silent Hill "Half Day") but that works just fine as a normal .MP3, yet when I try and play my music in Linux I get that same bullshit error from Rhythmbox, about the codec missing, yet my music played fine in the past on there, so now I got update problems, I really hate Vista. The history says, that the last check for updates was the 15th, and it's now the 19th, also the "help" the site gives is for Service Pack 1, I have Service Pack 2.

Thanks for that thing about Unlocker, Wacko, it's helped so far, thanks for the tip, now the TMP files are gone, just now Windows Defender is still offline, and my updates fail, and I bet sooner or later I'll be getting death screens, I haven't had one yet with Vista, but I got a feeling one will happen someday.

Posted by: inspectorweb
Date: 2010-05-21 13:31:42
My suggestion. Download AnVir Task Manager. When you run it, AnVir shows you all startup programs and Windows processes, so youll find harmful file in a minute. I always use it when I clean ones PC. Sorry for the offtopic.

Posted by: fivex
Date: 2010-05-21 14:20:43

My suggestion. Download AnVir Task Manager. When you run it, AnVir shows you all startup programs and Windows processes, so youll find harmful file in a minute. I always use it when I clean ones PC. Sorry for the offtopic.
This topic is a couple months old.

Posted by: Ketsuban
Date: 2010-05-21 14:47:54
It's less than 120 days old.